Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Yeah, I know this subject has been beaten to DEATH, but I stumbled across this video and wanted to share it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXAfmD_T4s&feature=related

It's a video of Phil in Singapore a couple years back behind a boat without the gnarliest wake ever. So, instead of throwing his contest run of uber-tech tricks, he just had fun and threw sick, stylish OA 180's, 360's and back 180's from everywhere.

Just a reminder that a rider's trick selection in a contest or video is not the same as style. Just because you may not be into watching crazy tech tricks doesn't mean Phil's not oozing with style...he just rides how he wants, not how you and I want him to.

Note: I really hope this doesn't turn into yet another bashing fest.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-04-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Looks like he's not even trying.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I enjoyed that, especially the TS shifty to TS back 180. Although the first TS BS 180 was a little fugly.

Looked like he was having fun. I also liked the stalled out HS OA 3s.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-04-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
There's some sick stuff there. He is an amazing rider.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-04-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Here's a question: why does he ollie a little after most of the tricks? is this a deliberate technique?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
he's jerking his feet around in the boots after they shifted during the landing
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-04-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
wow,
was that a no wake whirlybird about 1 min in? ive never seen that before.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-04-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thanks, I also enjoyed that.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I posted the last week in "best online video." By far my favorite free ride video I have seen.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-04-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fE7zbXs_GQ4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4eR9gPYEA&feature=related
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-04-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
nice vid for sure. I just bought The Truth last week, and he had a killer section in that too.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
"wow,
was that a no wake whirlybird about 1 min in? ive never seen that before."

yea i think its called a tweety bird, so sick
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-04-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
air whirly, so sick...
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-04-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
he's still the Jeff Gordon of wakeboarding...
Old    110outlet            04-04-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Hes a machine, no doubt he rips.
Old    benj_t            04-04-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
its called tweety bird
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
He is technically one of the top 3 if not the best riders in the world but I don't know, his style is just bland. Not bad, but definitely not unique and nothing special about it.

Also, I obviously don't know the guy, but he just comes off as being cocky when he's got the camera on him. For some reason that just doesn't sit well with me.

Sure does consistently throw down though.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-04-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
he is the world champ in contest riding, and top 4 in tech for sure prob #1 right now. he is also a 1000x better than ill ever be. as far as freeriding style he's not even in my top 20. ^^^^ bland was a good fit. Stylie or steezy he is not.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
here we go!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-04-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Some of you guys have never watched "Detention" obviously.

My thought was he rides like it's so easy for him that he's not paying much attention to his landings.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-05-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
Thank goodness the style and attitude police showed up! Blabel and Soli, I don't know what we'd do without you guys.

For all those who posted that they thought Soven's riding was cool or stylish, for shame. In the future you must follow the proper protocol for commenting about Phil Soven:

Step 1: Admit he is the best or one of the best riders right now (make sure you specify contest or technical since just saying rider might imply that he was good beyond contests and tech tricks.) (Plus, it helps add a "stylish" begrudging flair to your post.)

Step 2: Point out that he has no style. (this has the added bonus of letting everyone else on WW know that you sure know what style is.) (Heck, just be honest with yourself, you know so much about style that if style was wine, you'd have a French accent!) ( Soven is obviously drinking Night Train and MadDog compared to your steezey wine.) (Btw, saying steeze really lets people know that you know what style is.)

Step 3: Tell the story about the time your buddy's cousin's ex-boyfriend saw Soven punch a kitten. Or barring one of those credible firsthand stories, say how you hate his attitude. (Because come on, obviously if you were a pro everyone would love you and you'd handle the limelight like you were cool as Steve McQueen.)

Step 4: Add your own post style by placing the above steps in different orders or even repeating some of the steps but worded differently. It's really "sick" if you "steeze" out your post with step 1 at the beginning and end! (This lets people think that you're so nice that you're giving Soven props even though he clearly doesn't deserve it.) (remember, he's the guy who once left sixteen babies unattended in a vehicle, ON PURPOSE!)

You be "OG" now dude!

(Message edited by joshugan on April 05, 2008)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Josh B,

I was beginning to notice a bit of a predetermined structure to some of these posts. I think you pretty much nailed it. But don't forget to add the equation, Soven cut me in line once at OWC 4 years ago = worst person in the world.

I'm not saying you have to think Soven is the most stylish rider ever--or even in the top ten--but if that switch OA stalled out nose 3 does nothing for you as a wakeboard enthusiast, you may want to check your pulse.

(Message edited by jcv on April 05, 2008)
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I guess we're not allowed to post our opinion on here. I thought that's what forums are for. I do apologize since he did not ask for opinions on his style but that's generally what happens on discussions. Nobody said you had to agree. If I posted about my favorite rider and someone disagreed, I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
You know, everything is technically a style... Even if it's all really technical... Kind of like how you have those smooth styles for backgrounds and programs on your computer, versus techy, real hard edge styles for other programs and computer backgrounds...

I don't think Soven has a specifically smooth flowing style, but I still enjoy watching him ride, partially because I am a very tech oriented, straight edge, do things right kind of guy. I definitely do prefer other riders who flow and make things look easy, but he does have a style. Maybe not in your terminology, but he has a style...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Punched a kitten!!!! Now thats some funny sh%t
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-05-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
i am not denying his skills, he is probably the best technical rider out right now.

i wonder why he hasn't landed a 1080 yet?
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
sorry i have a mind of my own. But wasnt this post all about how much style he has? It wasnt about how great of a wakeboarder he is. Sorry a w2w oa 3 doesnt do much. Style on a 360 is to see it go big into the flats, double grabbed on that same 360. Thats style. I am not bashing soven. Its like baseball you have homerun hitters who hit 280 w 50+ bombs and you have the guys who hit 360 with 20 bombs. Ones not better than the other, you need them both and are equally important to the game. Again this thread was about his style, so thats what my coment was based from.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1043

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTFgtZEO6w

(Message edited by deltaridah on April 05, 2008)

(Message edited by deltaridah on April 05, 2008)
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-05-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
i seriously do not see why alot of people dont like him..this kid absolutely rips. he could be the best right now and if not he is definately top 3 in comps. stop baggin on him just because he is awesome and you aint...
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
style is in the eyes of the beholder.some people like it some people dont.trying to tell somebody else to like a certain style is like trying to convince somebody they like a certain food when they dont.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2008, 4:25 AM Reply   
theres prob not to many other riders who can link that many big tricks without a fall.

what i would like to see in videos is the riders backing up tricks one after the other. i think that is really lacking.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-06-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Not bad at all.

Man that has to be the smallest batwing to blind I have ever seen. Cant believe he pulled that off. Only SOven I guess.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-06-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
I wonder what people would start saying if soven hopped on here like murray does??

i think tones would change.

"speak well of others and you need not whisper"... 'course even i could learn from this one from time to time. still not perfect myself

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 06, 2008)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
This has been going on since the invention of the sport... Shapiro, Murray, Soven...
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-06-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Grant as least someone feels me its just my opinion on his style. I guess after seeing a guy like joel d ride just changes my opinion on style a bit.

Jeremy I dont kiss arse sorry man thats not me and anyone who knows me knows i'm straight up i dont change my opinion to fit with a crowd. I say what i have to say period. I'm not like other people on here who jock the pros on here and brown nose them. They dont pay my bills. Its got me in a lot of trouble with people who have a sense of entitlemnt and authority from time to time. Thats why i could never be a corporate monkey and i have my own business.

Like andy said "thats the smallest batwing to lind he has ever seen." Thats not exactly an endorsemnt of his great style. More like he his super sound tech and hucked it.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Byrom, he probobly ddoesnt have time to jump on here hes probobly training like mad just so soli or whoever else will agknowledge his style, I think you guys really just hurt his feelings. this reminds me of the poeple that put thier political opinions on thier car bumper expecting the president to change his ways, because perhaps, G.W. its caught in traffic in S.F. with nothing to read? I'm not going to try to change your opinion because you are entitled to it, what I'm trying to say is pretty much what grant said, style is in the eyes of the beholder. To me atleast, style is only doing tricks that look cool, have a certain flow to them, for ex. have you ever seen someone do a non-poked out indy grab, it looks plain stupid, or a plain frontside boardslide, in my opinion, no style. Soven has a lot of tricks that look cool and have a certain flow to them that make them look effortless and so to me THOSE TRICKS have some style.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-06-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
very sick section!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
i wish i could do 1/16 of that. Thats all I will say.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-06-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
hey 15 yr old this thread was to show his style off thats it, thats all. It was to say he does have style. He does have a style one I'm not feeling. He def doesnt have west coast style. He has that fl tech which is great for wakeboarding contests not so impressive in freerding.

On a side note its going to be intersting how he does this yr at the comps who will be using the new aussie type judging system that has factors in how big they go and their style

(Message edited by deltaridah on April 06, 2008)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
hey 29 yr old [see I can look at peoples profiles too]

ok.

kinda random but does anyone know how far out soven rides?
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
everyone has style: their own. from beginners up to soven harf and rusty. its personal. whether you like it or not is up to you.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Soli, I love how you on the one had are trying to make yourself look like the good guy by saying it's just about different opinions and on the other hand say things like "sorry i have a mind of my own."

So, since I like Soven's style, I don't have a mind of my own?

I've been riding since '98 and have never once been to a contest and really don't care who the champ is. What I do know is that Soven has what I consider an amazing style and I prefer watching him over almost any other rider. (His section in the Truth is one of the absolute best video sections out there, imo.) If all you see is "Fl tech" then I pity you.

And calling out Trevor because of his age? That's just lame.

Huge props to Trevor though! There's no way I would have guessed you're 15 from your posts. The G.W. caught in traffic in S.F. was pretty funny.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
josh maybe you should learn to read more carefully.
"sorry i have a mind of my own" was a response to byrom saying if soven was on here than i would kiss his arse and tell him how great his style is.

Thats cool you like his style, I dont to each thier own.

I called him out becuase like you he didnt grasp the purpose and position on my own personal judgement. I'm calling you out now for the same thing , but you must be older, its sad you havent learned how to read and actually understand what your reading. This post was about saying he had such great style. Dont pity me i get to see great westside style all of the time were i live. westside 4 life
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Whats wrong with a frontside boardslide? Wish I could do a the smallest batwing to blind while in Singapore, behind a boat that looked to be hard to keep at the same speed....
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-07-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
whether you like soven's style or not, you have to admit that is great riding

each rider does have their own style, and i understand giving someone more props because they have a style that you prefer. i for one can watch any pro and love their style (because thats them, they are different, which is what style in wakeboarding is all about)... granted their are styles that i prefer

it never made sense to me why some people "hate" or "dislike" other people's style
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Can someone tell me what "West Cost Style" is? I've been wakeboarding for 5 years on the West Coast, and I still have no F-ing idea what that means, or if it really means anything.

Sometimes I wonder if "riding for style" just means you have no technically ability....like myself
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
are u kidding me j rod? You know damn well what that means. To me most of the west coast riders have a snowboarding/skating background that had a major influence on thier wake style. To me its about style and really poking things out, going big making tricks nice and floaty. Not being as empahised on the gymnastics but instead style.I guess when ur at spring ride you can ask randall and ricky g. You must know something about it sense you are on he norcal faction team although i dont remember seeing you in the video. And getting a x star to ride around with on the delta from nor cal mastercraft. To bad you have to keep it there.

(Message edited by deltaridah on April 07, 2008)

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Soli, did you really say what I think you said and then try to mock me for not being able to read and understand? (Hmm . . . let me double check. Yes, yes you did.)

I'm sorry dude, I almost feel bad doing this, but Byrom didn't make his comment until 4 posts after your "sorry i have a mind of my own." So unless you have a time machine, your statement had nothing to do with Byrom's.

(btw, if you do have a time machine could you send me the plans to the flux capacitor?)

But style differences aside Soli, I'll bet we could have a lot of fun riding together. If you're ever in Az, let me know and you're welcome on my boat.

(Message edited by joshugan on April 07, 2008)
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
josh your right it was when you said i was the style police. my bad
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
It's all cool. No worries.

But no flux capacitor then? &*%$ it! there go my plans to take an X-80 back in time and rescue the passengers from the Titanic!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
I see a lot of the style you described from a lot of riders that are not from the west coast. I don't think those traits are specific to west coast riders. Benny G is from Mass, Lyman is from FL....for example.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-07-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
lymans from mass as well i believe...or somewhere up there in the north east...
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
both of those guys rip. I think that the style was derived from the west coast many years ago. Its definitely spread. I dont think you have to be from here to have that sort of style.

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
West Coast.... East Coast.... Style is style. It doesn't matter where it comes from. You know it when you see it. It's someone's own individual twist on tricks. It's what makes wakeboarding fun. Face it... There really is very little innovation going on in wakeboarding. For the most part it's all been done before. The only thing that's changing is how it's done. There are guys like Benny G and Lyman that are doing things differently. Their own twist. That's style.

Soven can have whatever style he wants. He's got so much talent that he can go out and do tricks any way he wants. That said, he's not "known" for his stylish tricks. He's known for tricks like the whirly-dick. There are guys like Watson that just make things look "right". I'd love to have 1/10th of the tricks that Soven has, but there are still a bunch of other riders that I'd rather watch.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-07-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
Soli-I hope you ride better than you type and debate. Both are hard to read. (sorry)
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
maybe you can teach me in person i can send you my address. Im not debating just having to defend my personal opinions to a bunch of jack arses isnt a debate. Its funny how people tell me what my opinion should or shouldnt be.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
CIE Evan...West coast style is wearing your board shorts over your wetsuit.

Come on man...thats basic!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-07-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
One of the funniest things I've ever heard was hyperlites fins were named for these cults of wakeboarders: P-wings were for West Coast style of riding (Pacific). Cuz they're so loose and "stylie" A-wings were "east coast" (atlantic) cuz they lock you down or some BS like that.

Its funny as hell that people think we ride differently b/c of where we are and who we ride with.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Oh yeah Garret....For sure.. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
This whole discussion reminds me of that Beach boys song "California Girls". Substitute a few wakeboarding phrases/trick names into into the lyrics and we can all sing about it!
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
SOLI, thats funny........ "FL Tech" and "Westcoast style";
are you forgetin' where most of the style riders are from...... not the westcoast

I guess its "too bad" we have to look at "fl Tech style" like Parks Bonifay, Shane, Watson, SOB, BEN GREENWOOD ...........

Pretty sure FL style riders will all be top 10
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
i dont know wuts going thru ur guys' saying that westcoast doesnt have all the stay FL got cuz i totally disagree. most of the young riders are coming out california now. just wait to they go pro its gonna b a WSR hurricane
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
no one said they "didnt have style"
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
i do agree the soven brothers are more of the technical riders i think the first time ive seen a good ride from philip soven was in the truth he was sik in that movie but hes still a technical rider no matter whut. thats what i c in him
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-08-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
how about randall harris, ricky g, aaron aubry, mike schweene, mikey ennen, robby carter, jimmy wolf, brady sammons, greg necarison, josh smith, aj racenelli, josh storior,colin wright,derek cook the list goes on. and if you forgot murray and harf are from cali too.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
This thread reminds me of biggie vs. 2pac...
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
ya i agree with soli
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Pretty sure Murray was from a variety of places, specifically St. Louis was one of them. You're not making a point anymore dude.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
hahah good one mike
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-08-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Soven is the man, Period.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-08-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
is style the word used to describe riders that can't do even half the tricks that soven can?
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
he's @#$&@ing 18!
if nobody knew that was soven riding i bet you everyone would be all WOW THAT GUY CAN DO EVERYTHING.
and if im not mistaken he did do wakeworlds readers favorite trick, the indy BS 180 into the flats.
he was riding on a TINY wake and he still went pretty big when he tried.
deltaridah, sorry there isnt 1 thing that describes style. not even "Style on a 360 is to see it go big into the flats, double grabbed on that same 360"
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
I have to admit that Soven is one of the sweetest guys i have ever met but he doesn't have the best style. I do realize that he is only 18 but then he is a proffessional riders. He is a competition rider not a style rider. He learned one way and doesn't try to make it look as floaty and stylish as some of the older riders.