Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (mattsoderstrom)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-08-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I am moving from behind the wheel to behind the boat soon and was wondering if some of you had suggestions on a good beginner board and bindings, etc.

I don't really like feeling locked in, so Wakeboarding and Snowboarding feel a tad bit uncomfortable. That being said, I have access to ride so I want to learn.

Also, if you don't mind explaining maybe some of the differences between some boards. I can relate a bit to Skateboards (stiffness, flex, layers) so it won't totally be foreign to me.

Thanks Matt
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
"I don't really like feeling locked in, so Wakeboarding and Snowboarding feel a tad bit uncomfortable."

"I can relate a bit to Skateboards"

sounds like you should just try wakeskating. you dont need to wakeboard to be able to wakeskate. from what it sounds like it will be a better fit for you.

grab a flat deck wakeskate and grip it and shred. 100 bucks for the board and like 5 bucks more if you get grip from a skateshop instead of using the foam.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-08-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
In my opinion, the difference between a "beginner board" and a more "advanced board" ... or should i say, the ability of a rider to get comfortable on the said boards is 3-5 days average.

There are some boards out there that might be ranked "beginner to intermediate," i would stay away from these boards unless you don't plan to exceed a recreational level, or you have $ to throw. Basically (as said above) you can jump aboard an "advanced" board within 3-5 days of starting wakeboarding... Again this is my opinion.
...with this said there are boards that are categorized as/recommended for Every skill level, "beginner to Pro"... so don't think that all boards are divided.

THREE MAJOR THINGS TOO LOOK FOR IN A "BEGINNER FRIENDLY" BOARD: (I say "beginner FRIENDLY" because many advanced boards also accommodate beginners)

EDGE DESIGN:
generally, anywhere you look, a board with a "soft edge" will be considered "beginner friendly" (but not necessarily limited to beginner. "Soft edges" are found on some pro edition boards too.) "Soft" edges are also referred to as "beveled edges" or "mellow edges" and other such similar terms. Softer edges will generally allow smother transitions with less chances of catching an edge . On the opposite end of things, there are "cupped rails" (cupped rails are pretty much only seen on the tip and tail of boards. Many boards will have a transition from a softer edge at the middle to a harder or cupped rail at the tips, to allow for good transitions edge to edge, but with superior control and speed as well) It might be safe to say that the more soft edge you have the more "beginner" the board will be. (notice the exclusion of "friendly" on that one... meaning limited to low-end riders and not most friendly for advancement)

ROCKER:
There are 2 major types of "rocker", or bend in a board: Continuous Rocker and Three Stage Rocker. Continuous is... well a continuous smooth curve in the board. Generally continuous rocker is more "beginner friendly" and allows for more easily controlled pop of the wake... some will say it is more "predictable." Three Stage Rocker has a short flat spot in the middle of the board interrupting the curve. This design provides more straight-up-in-the-air wake-to-wake pop/lift off the wake, but are generally a little more slow due to the less stream-lined shape.

FLEX:
flex is pretty new to wakeboarding, so it is hard to say if it is good for beginners or not (industry speaking). From personal experience in teaching a few new riders, I personally think flex boards, such as slingshot wakeboards are fine for beginners. Deffinately try before you buy on the flex thing if possible... if that is not possible, i'd go for flex anyway (if you ask my opinion)

SUMMARY: (With as little bias/personall prefferance as possible)
Begginer Friendly boards will have 1. a soft rail 2. continuous rocker 3. Flex?... well your on your own on that one

BINDINGS:
i share mostly the same opinion about bindings as boards, if you plan to do more than weekend recreation, just go for a more advanced boot. The benefits of a more advanced boot FAR outweigh the beginner boots. advanced boots are safer and more comfortable. The only benefit "beginner" boots will give is a cheaper price and maybe slightly increased ease of entry vs a more advanced boot.

for further information check these two sites
http://www.buywake.com/fittingroom
http://www.edgewatersports.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d69.html

P.S. I also second what Mitch has stated... maybe wakeskating might be more suitable to your style... consider it

P.S.S. If your wanting a board suggestion...though i am EXTREMELY fond of flex boards (slingshot) I think just about everyone could agree that Shaun Murray's (hyperlite) boards have been some of the best all-experience friendly boards in the market. His shapes have been around longer than probably anyone else's. disclaimer: I do admit that i have never ridden one however, but i have read and heard a lot about them and i feel i agree with the info
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-08-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
Well heres my view on the subject. The concept of beginner boards is one that was came up with for sales purposes only. And true, in the hands of a professional, or a talented rider, the board really doesn't matter. But as someone whose ridden close to a dozen different boards (owned 3 different ones over the last few years) i can say that there is deffinetely a difference in boards. I believe it all depends on what you plan to do with the sport. If your just trying it, dont worry about blowing big bucks on a board. If you plan on really wanting to learn how do things, get an "upper level" board. That way your riding on the best stuff. Also demo-ing a few boards can really help.
My take on a few things:

Fins: Boards will have a removeable fin, and some molded ones (typically) this will help with how "loose" your board is on the water. Kind of like adjusting your trucks on your skateboard.

Rocker: there are two main kinds. a 3 stage rocker is made to give you a more vertical, abrupt buck. This tends to be the industry standard nowadays. Continuous boards are made to give you more controlled, consistant lift that carries more distance typically.

Edges: Every board as some different edges. Some are more sharp ex. Hyperlite Premier, and some are more rounded ex. Ronix 1. A rounded edge can help you from catching an edge, and may be more forgiving on a landing. This also may have quite a bit to do with your skill level.

Hope my take on things helped.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-08-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
Don't bother with beginner boards. Get a pro model board. A board with molded in fins and a removable center fin would be a good choice to start with. You can ride it with or without the center fins. The center fin will give the board a more locked in feel where as no center fin will give the board a looser feel. I would look at a Hyperlite Era or a Premier.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
get a Ronix Venue and some Ronix divide bindings. I suggest the 07 models too because they haven't made any drastic changes. as for buying a pro model, you could spend 400 and get an awesome 3 stage setup, or you could spend 800+ and get a flex board/continuos/3 stage. go check it out on the main wakeworld page under boards.
Old     (mattsoderstrom)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-08-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Thanks all. I appreciate all the input. I do like the idea of the Wakeskate, which I feel kind of ridiculous not even thinking about it. I guess out of sight, out of mind! LOL

It is good to know they're REAL differences between boards. I appreciate some of the analogies too. "adjusting trucks on your skateboard" That immediately made sense to me.

I got some connections (won't name drop) so I won't have a problem testing out of the board mentioned.

It's kinda like having a famous family member but not being a fan enough to cash in on the suite. ;)

*Matt*