Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-05-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
Who has seen it?

what did you think?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
I just got the set last Friday. So far I have only watched the 2nd disc, "Building a foundation". About 90% of the material covered I already knew. For me, it is that 10% that has been the missing piece of the puzzle. That alone is well worth the money.

This hands down is the best instructional video available. I have Detention and have seen Higher Learning, and neither of them compare to the detail of The Book. There are a few parts that don't really make a whole lot of sense. For example, in the chapter on edging they go into detail about edging excercises.

One of the edging excerises covered is how to ollie. I know why they are covering this as it relates to getting pop when leaving the wake. The problem for the beginner is, they never really explain why you need to learn how to ollie. It's just there in the middle of the edging exercises. There's never a mention of using this skill when leaving the wake. Things like this are my only knock on The Book.

The best thing I've found so far is that they do teach you the correct fundamentals from the begining. Some may not make sense right now, but down the road when you are learning a more advanced trick the fundamentals that you learned from the begining will help you with the more advanced trick.

For example, I learned to jump W2W toeside this summer. I've got it down pretty good and am landing in the flats pretty consistently. After watching The Book I have since learned that the body position I have been using on my toeside jumps is completely opposite of what I should be doing.

I may be landing my toesides now, but down the road when I get to a poiint to where I want to start leaning toeside spins I will have to completely relearn my toeside approach.

In my opinion The Book is probably the next best thing to taking lessons from a pro. The things they cover in The Book really give you a great foundation to build on. I just wish I would have bought it at the begining of the summer.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-05-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
Hey Thane, It is awesome for progression. It has simultaneous tramp work in a divided screen with training on the water.It goes in depth on spins and raley based tricks If you want to take a look at it, we have it. Just give us a call when you are in town.
Old    walt            09-05-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
It's the best out there and I hear they are working on a Wakeskate version too.
Old    murrayair            09-05-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
I bought it and also think it's the best out there. I really like how you can choose from the 4 different coaches by selecting different audio channels. I also like how they show you how to practice the move on the trampoline. The only thing that I have a small problem with is that sometimes the narration needs to be cleaned up a bit. There are a lot of long pauses, "uhh's" and "umm's". But Overall it's a really great instructional. Deffinately worth the money.