Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
Okay, here is my situation. 2000 centurion dd, bought early this year. immac condition. About a month ago was on lake camanche and hit a submerged tree. long story short, new shaft, strut, prop, 3 week wait, 2k in damages. 200 deductible. get the boat back last week and second trip out since, hit "something" on sac river. seems even worse than last time. less power, more vibration, prop f***ed up, rudder looks bad, not good. So I called my ins and started another claim. Havent heard back yet. Here
s my ??. Is my ins going to drop me, raise my premium through the roof, do nothing. Anybody have any thoughts or exp. ins is with jack martin (travelers) prem of 350 yearly. 220 deductible. thanks.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-26-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
I woul say your rates are going to go up. Probably considerably. You do risk getting dropped. 2 claims so close together on a boat they have insured for less then a year is not good. May have been better not to make the 2nd claim and just pay out of pocket. Not an insurance expert, but just getting this from other's experiences in the past
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-26-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
Put boat in name of someone else / joint and have them get insurance. My brother has bad driving record and our insurance was $80.00 month on the boat. I put my name on new boat and I get the insurance just in my name and it's more than half. Just an idea I really don't know if it will work.
Old    tigejohn21i            07-26-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
Wait a sec. That is what insurance is for.. accidents. If they raise your rates and/or drop you, get quotes elsewhere. You are still a good gamble for the insurance co as the liklihood of it happening again should be reduced.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
Tigejohn,

I think the insurance company sees Kevin as reckless and crazy, or blind. I suspect that they think he's MORE likely to have another claim. This will be reflected in his new increased premium. It sounds like he's just had a run of really bad luck, but the insurance people, IMO, are going to be pretty unforgiving here.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
As far as "That is what insurance is for.. accidents" you MUST be living in a dream world as insurance is for the insurance co to make money and when you make a claim they ARENT making money...two claims within 4-6 weeks...your toast if you put a claim in. Now if he had insurance through them for 10 years or something that might be a different story but 1 year?? Come on, they may pay but youll be sorry. Besides when you go to the next agent to try to get insurance and they question you "Have you had any claims in the last year" uuuuhhh TWO.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-27-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Kevin,

I was dropped after 2 claims from my insurance company and my rates went from 400.00 up to over 700.00 at the next shop that would finally take me...

good luck
Old    zboomer            07-27-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Agree with Bob. You've paid them about $350 in premiums total, and will have two claims totalling probably $5k or so.

Even if you make no more claims at all you'd have to pay them for almost 15 years for them to even break even.

Let us know what they do do, I have the same insurance carrier.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
okay, update. ins called back and said they may have to drop me. instructed me to get estimate and we'll go from there. I'm going to try and get it fixed as cheap as possible and just pay out of pocket. If I get another carrier, I'm sure premuiums are going to be through the roof. It just sucks, b/c it really is just bad luck
Old    tigejohn21i            07-27-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
Well.. if the cost to repair is 3k and your premium goes up $500 per year, it will take 6 years to meet your out of pocket. Does anyone know if other insurance companies will pick up the claims filed by you with your current company?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-27-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
sorry about your bad luck. I've been in the same situation with house insurance - was broken into one year, then the following year our boat was stolen and I had to claim all the contents (including all wakeboarding, safety, and wetsuits, etc) on our house insurance. I wasn't dropped (I had been with them for a few years at least), but it did make life difficult. We bought another house, and I tried calling around for estimates. Several places wouldn't insure us (insurance companies do talk to one another!), and those that did was ridiculously expensive. It was cheaper to stay with our existing carrier, even with the claims surcharge.
Old    zboomer            07-27-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
It's bad luck for sure, but also shows (in their eyes) you are boating in unsafe areas, ie lots of hazards.