Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-09-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   

I got most of the goods but i dont have the following:

helecopter
pilot
Water housing Arri S & SR2
photographer
DVX100a water housing, (the one i can get for free sucks)
Music rights
How to get a Jib out on the lake with out the park ranger/cop trippen

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any places i can go to around the LA area

Thanks
Old                04-11-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
hey
have you checked out any info at castaic lake
they shoot tv shows all the time out there. if that doesnt work, i might possibly have connections to lower lake castaic, to get you there. also what do you mean by jib on the lake.
what is a jib
later travis
ps. if you need any help on the shoot, let me know i am a bit of a filmaker myself -later
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-11-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I meant a Jib Arm, or a left, but ya thanks for sure 1 might need help on the shoot, ill let you know.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-11-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
Travis:

Arri housing: http://www.hydroflex.com/ , or custom built by:
- Del Mar Camera Housings
- SPL Waterhousings
- Dale Kobitech
- Sea Research (Jim Bailey)

Helicopter:
http://www.toflyla.com/skylane.html
http://www.celebheli.com/

There are MANY helicopter charter services in LA. They all come with a pilot.

Photographer:
Well, I am available for hire. There are others on the west coast.

DVX100A housing:
http://www.jordanstallard.com/splhousings/agdvx.htm

Music rights:
Why don't you find a small unknown band or two and do some kind of exchange with them.

As for how to get a jib out on the lake... well, you're going to be attracting enough attention by bringing out a helicopter... I don't think a jib is a big deal. Get a permit. Seriously. If you do this any other way, you'll get shut down or at least hassled a lot.

It's easy to get all of the things you're looking for, in the LA area. The question is, do you have the budget for it? Almost all of those things are expensive to get... and everyone and their brother who is "making a film" tries to tell people they'll trade the use of gear in order to get the company "exposure" or advertising. It doesn't work, so just make sure you're decently funded for it.

Also... just because you're shooting on 16mm doesn't mean that you don't have to be perfect in other areas. From my experience in still photography, I can shoot a mediocre picture on a 3MP camera.... I could shoot the same picture with an 8x10 film camera (the pinnacle of quality), and the picture will still be mediocre. Shooting in a larger format, or on film instead of digi, doesn't naturally make the picture better, it just makes it more expensive.

I've seen some amazing things done on MiniDV, and some half-assed things done on 16mm and 35mm. Make sure it's worth it, and don't cut corners.

Mike

(Message edited by isler on April 11, 2005)
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-11-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   

Cools thanxs for the advice, and the websites. I was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get that list for a good price. I go to film school and i have one year left, I know that i would have to have permits, i was just wondering who i would talk too. I definitly not going to cut corners for sure and i love the way film looks, it will be sweet.

thnaks
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-11-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
Travis,

I'd be happy to help you out with it if you're interested. Where do you go to film school? Your profile says Oxnard...so I assume you're in the Motion Picture contingent of Brooks.

I'll be working on a project in Stage 2 of the Ventura Studios on Friday and Saturday, and part of wednesday and thursday. If you're free, get in touch with me and I can try to help you out with some of this, since I've been around all of this for years now. There may be a way to get some discounts on these things too.

Anyways, you can pull my contact info off of my website at www.islerphoto.com if you're interested.

Best,

Mike
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-12-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
Brooks it is, you got the SB campus dont you? Who's project are you working on this weekend? For sure you can help me out, seems like you know more about it then me. I'll call you tomarrow (wednesday) and maybe we can figure some of this stuff out.

Thanks,

Travis
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
I just picked up a DVX100a housing and they run about $1800+ (depending on the features)..

http://www.custom-surf-wake-photography-underwater-splash-camera-housings.com/new/housing.php?housing=fisheye
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2005, 5:54 AM Reply   
David,

I think you just became my new best friend!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Rich - lol.. if you guys need some tube shots, give me a shout.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
RD didnt you see his new toy in action at the salinas slider thingy?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
I saw his DVX but I didn't see him wading in the gunk with a new water housing!
Old                04-13-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
Everyone should help this guy out, this film is gonna be awesome if he gets the help and resources he needs.
-Jeff from the Chalet
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Good thing too, I heard few of the riders got sick after wallowing in the muck...

The housing will be here in the a week or so.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
do i get to use it next month?
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-14-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
whatever you do, don't let Dave bring the tube
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Joe - if you're lucky...

Sean - your footage turned out sweet! I owe you one!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-15-2005, 6:26 AM Reply   
Cool, you can be Sean's new best friend - works for me!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-15-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
lol... anytime you guys need help, let me know.