Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 3:06 AM Reply   
Pulling out my old floor of my 86 model 2001 and looks like shredded beef under my driver seat area, And not near as bad under the passenger seat. Guess it's time to redo some stringers! Anybody know what type of woood to use? Or where I can get a blueprint of my boat for specs and stringer length's and where / how far back for the motor mounts. thanks jeff
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
Jeff, just b/c the floor is rotted doesn't necessarily mean the stringers are shot too. I've heard the spot under the drivers seat is the first place to go so maybe you've caught it in time. Hopefully you'll just need to cut out that section and replace it.

I've seen a few floor/stringer replacement threads around; you might just do some searching here and the 'other' site. Check correctcraftfan.com since that site is geared towards older CCs.....and google probably wouldn't hurt either.

Contact the folks www.rotdoctor.com, I've heard they are very helpful and have some great products that don't require you to rip everything out.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2006, 5:37 AM Reply   
This is scary news as my brother and I are in the market to pick one of these older 2001's up. Can you guys have a quick peek at this ad and tell me what you think. In no way am I trying to bash the current owner of this boat, I am simply trying to get opinions based on first glances. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/254175.html?1139437348

Does that engine bay look a little fishy to you? If it does look good, Mike and I are close to driving to Windsor and checking it out. Sorry to hijack Jeff,but everytime I hear a story like this I cringe.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Daniel,
CCs are probably one of the best built older inboards and if cared for usually never have any problems. However, its near impossible to tell floor and stringer condition based on pics. Walkdizzy's boat appears to be in good shape, and one would assume the floor was inspected when the interior was replaced. The engine/bilge just looks a little dirty and would probably clean right up.

That being said just look the boat over carefully. Be sure to check the stringers and floor condition especially up by the front seats as this area tends to be the problem spot.

Use this guide when looking at older inboards:
http://www.planetnautique.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostWrap&file=index&pa ge=http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/2001.htm

You can never be 100% but it'll help you avoid the basket cases.

(Message edited by bremsen on February 09, 2006)
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Ryan, I know it is very difficult to tell by pictures I just wanted some assurance/opinions from some others who have had experiences with SN 2001's.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Daniel, a friend of mine owned a Correct Craft dealership for years, and he said that those 2001's were overbuilt. The used Fir for the stringers and the fiberglass is very thick in most places. As far as boats of the same area, in my experience Correct Craft's are the least likely to have soft floors. That isn't to say that it won't though. Check it over.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
So you think it wont be a bad idea to replace just sections of the stringer? I thought that was a no-no. I need to ask some questions over on CC fan those guy's definately know there old nautiques. Thanks guy's and sounds like Douflas Fir is the wood I need?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-09-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Jeff ~ Also check www.the2001.com This is a website for SN2001's.

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Yeah thanks Bug.....Just came back from there. A fellow suggested SEACAST I read about it and it seems like it might be a decent fix? Think I'll put up a post to see if anybody has heard or used this stuff before. Best thing is it's like $200 bucks for 5 gal.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I just dont want to replace stringers or engines....a rebuilt tranny I could handle. Thanks for all of this and thanks Jeff for being patient with the hijack of this thread. Now all I have to do is find a good 2001 to buy...
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Yeah Daniel no worries....This is my first boat I've had it for 3 years now and never more than routine maint up till now. It has been a solid work horse. You will want a tower for sure because it free's up a ton of room in the boat. If space isn't an issue 2001's are a cheap boat with a wicked wake. I thought about selling mine for something bigger but then A few friends with 210's and a Vlx rode behind it and wondered why I would get rid of it. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....LOL....Maybe if my friend Paul reads this he can post a picture of it from our houseboat trip and it will give you an idea of another tower chioce....
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
For the tower choice, I would most likely go with Monster Tower but if I could somehow find a zero flex tower that would fit the 2001 I would pick that up. I have seen it once before and it looked great. Did you happen to see the ad for the '83 in Windsor Canada near the bottom of the older than 5 year old boats? That is the one I want to look at if it's still for sale...we do know the wake is legendary.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
No, you don't replace a section of the stringer. I've been told with the stuff from rotdoctor, you leave all the wood, even the rotted stuff. The Epoxy penetrates and bonds to the rotted wood, I guess making it solid again. I haven't used their products myself (yet).....which is why I suggested contacting them.

The Seacast stuff looks pretty cool, if the entire stringer is rotted I would definately check into it.....their "test" data seems promising. Have you checked the engine mount bolts to see if there is rot there as well?

Again, I would see if you can determine the amount of rot you have first and then see what you can do to repair it. If you can repair the trouble area and prevent future rot from occuring that would be better than gutting the boat IMO.

Good luck, I've got to pull up my carpet soon and I'm praying I don't have any "issues" underneath.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Ryan I was just thinking should I just pull all the stringer or back far enough to get the bad wood out? But I will talk it over with the guy's helping me and also see what seacast says! I think I am going to look at seacast pretty hard. It seems like a good fix.I stiill need to get the rest of my old floor up. I found this mess last night about 5pm and my heart sank. So I think it's back out to the driveway to start pulling the rest of the floor up. And yeah that boat looks like it would do the trick. I paid $9300 for mine with 425 hrs and no tower....It was super clean when I bought but i've made some rookie mistakes with it and the fact it doesn't fit in my garage it has gotten to be not as pristine as when I bought it. So time to put some money into her..
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-09-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Jeff, if its really bad I would probably do the same....especially since you seem to have some experienced help.

You might try contacting the owner of this boat to see if you can get more info on what he used:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/249659.html?1124927800
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=457&sort=&pagenum=5&yrstart=1981&yr end=1985

Says he used some type of composite stringer....might be another option for you.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-09-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of Jeff's boat. Don't even think of getting rid of her. I'll never let you live it down. I rank the wake right up there with the best of them. Bring the boat down so we can "Get R Done!"
Jeff's 2001

(Message edited by gherk on February 09, 2006)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
There's the old girl..I have since gotten most of the faded grunge off the sides and back. Actually right after Shasta last year tried to clean her up. I felt kinda ashamed parking it next to a SAN 210 and VLX clean enough to eat off of.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I found rot in my 2001's stringers in the engine compartment area. Any "corner" in that area seems to be the most susceptible to rot. If there is rot there, you can stick a screwdriver into it (if solid - not). My boat's rot was not extensive so I simply dug out the rot and then covered the area, and all the "corners" with glass and epoxy resin. Polyester resin doesn't stick as well as epoxy does. I would advise anyone with a 2001 to check this area for rot. It is easy to fix at an early stage.
Also, the 2001 develops a good, but short, surf wake when loaded with enough ballast to put the rub rail at the water.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
Yeah Larry I think theres some soft spots around my engine as well......Still got some foam to dig out and I need to pull the motor and tranny as well.....GOOD TIMES!!!