Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-28-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
I finally got a gun safe so my OU shotgun has a nice place to hang and start a family. :>)

Would any of you have a recommendation on safe dehumidifiers?

I can wire it if that is the better choice. I see a bunch of options on Amazon.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
Nice! Aren't gun safes cool!? I got one a few months ago. Last week I added an AR-15 to the family.

I'm curious about this too. It your safe in the garage or somewhere damp?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-31-2012, 12:31 AM Reply   
Ya, I am digging it. It's in the garage now but I plan to put it in my home office once I figure out how to move it.

I ordered this inexpensive dehumidifying unit off Amazon last night since it got such good reviews. I will give it a try and upgrade if it requires excessive recharging.
Attached Images

Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-31-2012, 4:12 AM Reply   
This si what most people I know use:
http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com

The ones I've seen require a 110V power source...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
How big is your safe GD? We strapped my 20 gun safe to a hand truck and I was able to move it with the help of a neighbor. I think mine is 350 pounds empty.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-31-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
nice! I got a safe for Christmas as well! Mine is a fire\gun safe but only 16 gun. Mines standing in my closet (you know the wife loves that). Let me know if you like the humidifier. I need one as well.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-31-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
The safe was my xmas present. I dig it. We got it off costco.com on a coupon special. Its 407 lbs empty. 19.1 cubic feet. 30 min fire protection. I think I should be able to get it on a dolly with two people.
Attached Images

Last edited by diamonddad; 01-31-2012 at 9:26 AM.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
The least expensive, care free/maintenance free method is to drill a very small hole in the top of the safe, run a small corded light socket and hang it from the interior ceiling with a low wattage incandescent light bulb. It'll cost you less than 10.00 and take less than 1/2 hour.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
She's a beauty! That one looks a few inches wider than mine. Awesome.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-01-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
GD - I have the exact same safe. I use a rod dehumidifier ran through the power access hole at the bottom of the safe. I cant remember the brand off the top of my head but i bought it at Academy Sports. I havent had any issues with moisture. I keep mine in a utility closet off of the garage.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2012, 11:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice everyone.

For lighting, I am thinking about stringing a led rope light around the inside of the door opening. I standard 12' rope light from home depot should do it. It should light up all of the shelves to some degree.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
if you don't have a plug near your safe, you can use damprid http://www.damprid.com or bullfrog http://www.rustbloc.com/ both work great. I use the damprid in my boat and the bullfrog in my gun safe since i don't have a plug near my sage. they last a year.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-12-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
This weekend, I wired my safe for power and added LED rope lighting on a motion detector.
Attached Images

Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-13-2012, 5:43 AM Reply   
Depending on the climate you live in really dictates whether or not you need a dehumidifying rod. If you have your safe in a damp environment like a basement or live in a humid place like the east coast or mid-west, I'd recommend one. Lucky for me, SW Colorado isn't very humid, so I don't run one. As mentioned above, the golden rod is probably the most popular dehumidifying rod out there. My Liberty Franklin 50 came pre-wired for 110V. If the need arises, all I would have to get is the rod.