Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Ok, so here's my question... am I a prude for not allowing alcohol on our boat? We aren't really big drinkers (unless the sun has disapeared and a cauldren of Margarita's shows up). So the fact that there is no booze doesn't phase us. But occasionally, we have new people on the boat who are shocked that we don't allow drinking on the boat.

I just seems that wakeboarding is dangerous enough without having a "few beers" in your system.

It's not like I WON'T let anyone bring alcohol, I just highly discourage it. I also discourage soda in a can due to potential spillage and since most people would bring a canned beer, I can imagine the stench of stale beer in the carpet YUCK!

What do you all think?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-11-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
i think you are prude....
I really just wanted to say that... I think as long as your are cautious, which it sounds like you are, you should not worry as much about your crew as you should others on the water...
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
I like having a beer or two when I ride. I feel like I loosen up a little bit adn calm myself some. I think riding with 6 or 12 in you is asking for trouble. I have spilled beer in the carpet before...get a bucket of water and rinse it out. It's a boat it will get wet and stuff will spill. It is your boat though, so you get to make the rules.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-11-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Couldn't have said it better Diggs. Beer will not stain either will soda, if it spills, clean it up. If you spend to much time worrying about keeping everything spotless all the time you won't be able to enjoy your toy.

I on the other require booze or women to get on mine

With that said you should know your own limits, and I feel as the owner of your boat, watch your crew. One thing I won’t due is let someone get behind my boat that I feel has had too much to drink.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on November 11, 2005)
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
i think you need to relax. Its a boat not a museum. Beer cleans up just like anything else that will eventually spill in your boat. The stinky mechanics working on it leave a worse stench than beer does!!!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-11-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Couple of beers won't hurt. No different spilling in the boat than anywhere else. I personally drink my beer, spilling it doesn't do a thing for me. It's all about fun. It's your boat, but lighten up.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-11-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
wow, no alcohol and boating, you should get into hiking or something. I don't drink and drive the boat, but others can party and have a good time, anytime!
Old    kvanderg            11-11-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Here is my $0.02 on this subject.

I personally dont drink as it makes me tired and throws my concentration off; however, if someone wants to come on my boat, take their shoes off, throw a few bucks in for gas, not make fun of my riding, have a few beer and NOT turn into a retard... I'm all for it.

At the end of the day... if someone comes onto YOUR boat and spoils YOUR day on the water... try to relax as Jim suggested or DONT invite them back.

I am sure you will find yourself in situations that warrant either response.

KV

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Ok, cleanliness aside (although if you spent $45k on carpet for your living room would you want people wandering around with red wine?)

Anyway back to my original thought. What about safety or liability for everyone else's safety?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-11-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Drinking on the boat is OK, drunk boating is not. I think it's unfortunate that so many people are so uptight about their boats that it gets in the way of them having fun. I have really relaxed "the rules" with this new boat and it has allowed for a whole new level of enjoyment. These days there is not much that cannot be repaired. Gelcoat and upholstery can be repaired quite well these days. Synthetic carpets clean up pretty well too.

You didn't spend $45k on carpet, you spent it on the boat. I have a lot more than $45k invested into my living room and I do let people wander around it with red wine.

Life is short, RELAX an enjoy...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       11-11-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Renee, it's your boat and the people you invite are your guests, so you get to set the tone. It is amusing that a watersport involving a high-powered machine automatically means alcohol for some. You probably need to invite people who are like-minded, otherwise you will feel like the enforcer.

You're not going to get a conscensus from wakeworld - the attitudes are going to be all over the map. It's hard to know if your hearing from a 22 year-old party guy, or a 45 year-old dad.

Personally, I like to treat watersports like a sport, and then time spent relaxing on the lake separate. At no time should the driver be consuming until towing activities are over.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Ok, now that I know that most of you think I need to lighten up, let me ask you from a different angle.

My regular "crew" isn't really into drinking and boating either and we always have a good time when out. If you were to be invited on a "dry" boat like ours, would you be offended if you were asked to leave the booze on shore or would you be cool with it (and then never ride with us again).

I'm just curious. This topic popped into my head as I was reading other threads and saw how often people mentioned booze and boarding.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-11-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
Your boat, your rules. If anybody gets offended by being asked to play by the owners rules, that's their problem and you shouldn't give a rip about them anyway. Sounds like you have a crew that fits with your rules.

Personally I wouldn't be offended at all having a day on the water riding without a few beers(assuming you/your crew are not "offensive"). It's not the rule on my boat, but it's a matter of respect when you're on another person's boat.

I will say, when the boat docks I would not recommend standing between me and the cooler.....
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-11-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
Renee, when I first got my boat this year I had the same rule as you. I'm not a big drinker and I also thought it was illegal to have people drinking on the boat. Well that lasted about a month or 2 then I found out it was alright for people to drink. I usually have one myself now when we get out there.

As far as asking people not to drink on your boat, that's your right to make the rules. Either they're ok with it and go out and ride or they don't. Do what you like, it's yours!
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
My 2 cents
I personally am not an alchoholic, I'm a drunk. Alchoholics go to meetings.
That being said I do not drink when I ride. I got drunk last year ate it and blew out my knee. Most of the people I ride with drink as heavily as I do. We launch I get my riding in then I start drinking. I do however have friends with "Dry Boats". It does not offend me at all if they request no booze. I realize that not everyone enjoys drinks like me. No Biggie. Above and beyond "The man/woman that owns the boat makes the rules" respect them, or dont whine when they dont call you back to ride again
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-11-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
Would I be offended? no. Would I ride with you guys again? As long as you are not a bunch of prudes which I think means much more than weather or not you drink.lol

BTW this is coming from a guy who usually takes a couple beers along for the evening ride, one for after my run and another while cleaning my boat.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-11-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
beer is still legal right? I mean c'mon, a couple of beers. I can see being concerned with people getting wasted, but a few beers is a whole other story. I don't know if I have ever once been on my boat without having at least one beer. Nothing better then a great day on the lake with a cold beer in hand. Just my .02
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-11-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
Man, way too much thought wasted on this.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Actually, our closest lake, Folsom prohibits alcohol. Not that anyone wants to actaually wakeboard there in the summer anyway, that place is a ZOO.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Renee,

Just checked your profile, met you at the sanger get together this year. I was with chas on the black 210. Just wanted to say HELLO!!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hey Chris! Yes, I remember you! Tate is in the garage as we speak putting together the NEW stereo for the boat.

Back to the topic at hand, other than Chris, has anyone hurt themselves wakeboarding due to alcohol consumption? I know that Tate (my hubby) had a few drinks once and then went riding. He took a pretty hard fall which reinforced that he would never do it again.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-11-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
Face plant off a over rotated 3, came up spitting blood. Lesson learned..
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-11-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Your boat your rules.The key is drink resposibly if someone is drunk dont let them wakeboard if it becomes a spill fest cut them off! I'am also meticulous about my boat but I enjoy a few a beers and I'am always conscious about the safety of everyone in my boat and everyone else on the lake.I will admit there is a no soda rule unless it's clear. At the end of the weekend a few hours of cleaning and the boat looks just like new.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-11-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
Folsom only prohibits alcohol in day use areas (shoreline and beaches), not on the lake itself. As long as you are on the water you can drink. Once you hit land (beach, shore, parking lot, picnic areas) alcohol is prohibited...
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-11-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
I am anal about spillage on my bayliner, you have every right to be concerned with you boat! Ever notice how it is usually the people with the jacked up cars, houses, clothes, etc. that do most of the spilling?

With that said, my buddies and I usually have a beer or two when we are done riding and the boat is stopped.

Snowboarding is another story! When we go nightboarding at Boreal we usally get trashed. Since the entire mountain is a bunny hill, alcahol consumption is a must to keep entertained.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
We generally have beer on the boat, but as someone else said, your boat, your rules. If you passengers don't like it, let them get a pull from someone else...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
your boat, your rules, I can't imagine not having beer/alcohol around. Your red wine comment is a killer to considering we are huge wine junkies. lighten up.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
Renee V,
I guess I am a prude as well. We do not drink and I do not allow alcohol on our boat either. We still have a great time everytime we go out. It has been my experience in the past, way way past, that alcohol only brings to the table problems. Most do not intend to get drunk but someone always does and ruins the day for everyone else. Also you, as the owner of the boat, are responsible for everyone in there. If you don't think so, let something bad happen and see what happens. I am also a father of two and I try to lead by example and show them that you can have a great time without drinking. If they are your friends then they will respect you and the example you set. I never tell anyone else how to handle their boat, that is just how I handle mine.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-11-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Renee;

Your not a prude, its your boat and if the others can't respect that then find another boat. Your taking the responsibility and putting your toy out for others to use so you set the rules that you feel comfortable with.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Renee we do not allow alcohol of any type on our boat either no need , but if others enjoy it more power to them .Back at camp not a problem H29
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-11-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
Check out the profile of Wakeme884 !!!! I guess you know what his opinion is about drinking on his boat. I have to get me one of those!!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
Here's a link to his profile... http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=wakeme884
Old    justsomeguy            11-11-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
Renee,

Just checked your profile, met you at the sanger get together this year. I was the guy with the jello shots and the cold, cold bottle of Milagra. Just wanted to say HELLO and you still owe me half a bottle of good tequila since that's what you drank!!!

The jello shots are on me however.

Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-11-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
As far as cleanliness goes I am more worried about chocolate and chips. But then I figure the boat is there to be used so I don't worry too much.

As far as booze goes it is allowed. I have been on others boats and not drank when everyone else was and still got called back. I don't think alcohol should be that big of a factor either way.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-11-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
Here’s another “your boat your rules” opinion. On my boat no smokes either. When we pull the boat out of the water the smokers light up. I don't mind people throwing back a few, just not on my boat.

I don’t think I’m prudish but this little story will probably convince most of you otherwise. A few years back my family was at the local lake. After some boating in very hot weather we stopped at the beach to let the kids play and swim. My wife wasn’t drinking any fluids (didn’t want to have to use park facilities) and once she got on the beach suffered from a mild case of heat exhaustion. I got her partly in the water to cool down and then I ran for help. Help arrived and she recovered, along with the ambulance came a sheriff. He asked if we had been drinking alcohol today, no I said. Then he asked if we had been using any controlled substances, again no I said. Lastly he asked where my wife worked and what kind of work she was involved with. I told him that she was a librarian at Trinity Lutheran seminary. An embarrassed look washed over his face, I could see that he wished that he had asked that question first. Add to that I’m an engineer, I don’t drink, and don’t smoke. Prudish, I don’t know but I have a good time boating and boarding and enjoy spending time with my friends. I just don’t like the smell or taste of beer, and I can’t stand cigarette smoke. So what make a prude any way?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
One tip for people crying over split milk, I mean beer. Buy I boat with snap out carpet, I love mine.

The only time my boat is dry is when my daughter (or any kids) is with me. I don't drink in front of my kid, and I expect others to respect that if it's my boat. No kid, drink away. heck get plastered, I'll drive you home.
If I bring my daughter on another boat, I respect others rules. If they drink, that's cool, I have no say.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
JustSomeGuy,

Since your profile doesn't say who you are, I can't say that I met you at the Sanger Regatta. I'm sure I did, there was a lot of people there.

Was there jello shots being passed around? Must not have been on our end of the chain. In fact, I had to be sober enough to swim out to on the throw cushin with the digicamera to take this shot! And Tequila?? No way that was me.. I only drink that stuff it it tastes like sugar and the sun has disappeared for the day :-)

Old    d_anderson            11-13-2005, 5:54 AM Reply   
Ok.. I do not allow smoking in my boat only on the platform and even then I frown.. As far as drinking it is ok... heck there so many people that come over to my boat and party it is insane.. It is a funny site when I pull up and pull the beer bong out how the party comes alive.. As far as safety goes that is number 1 in my book and it is tru at times all I am doing is watching people on my boat to make sure they are ok... that gets a little frustrating. people at times get so Crunk they have no idea what they are doing I make them put on a life vest at that time I just don't want them to drown.. Everyone thinks they can swim in a triathalon when they are crunk that scares me..
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       11-13-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Well, if you're that worked up about anything spilling in your boat sounds like you might be wound a little too tight for ME. But different strokes and I personally don't think you should change your rules just to accomodate others. You purchased your boat for your enjoyment, and if you enjoy it most w/out alcohol or beverages that spill/stain, for heavens sake prohibit them! If "newbs" really are shocked and gave me crap about my rules, I'd probably question whether I wanted to invite them along again.

I can't ride for crap w/ANY} alcohol in my system, but I'll have a couple once I'm done with my sets.

My major rule is chicks with toenail polish HAVE to have clearcoat on them!! That stuff is MURDER to get out of vinyl!!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Alcohol is not permitted on boats in Ontario that do not have a head (crapper) and cooking facilities permantanly attached to the vessel. Even if it were, I do not like the idea of alcohol on the boat, what is the big deal of waiting until you get back to land to start to opening the "pops"? I am a HUGE beer fan but just don't see the need to drink on the boat while we are out boarding.....and what if by chance the person who was sober had to be driven home for any reason...due to injury or anything at all? On the other hand, if it's 8am, 9am, 10am etc and you need a few brew's in you to loosen you up, by all means I will wait by the dock for you to down them and then hop aboard. I don't mind responsible drivers who dont drink BUT allow thier passengers to, but I myself will not allow alcohol on the boat, both for personal reasons and the Police on the water.
Old    justsomeguy            11-13-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
"Alcohol is not permitted on boats in Ontario that do not have a head (crapper) and cooking facilities permantanly attached to the vessel."

Yet another reason to avoid Ontario.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-13-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
By the way, it IS possible to have a kicks a$$ time on a boat without alcohol. We do it all the time.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-13-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
Renee, Are you preaching? And to answer your question, yes I'm guessing you're a prude, but your boat your rules.

(Message edited by mitchm on November 13, 2005)
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
Justsomeguy, what are the other reasons? Beer too strong for ya?
Old    mendo247            11-13-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
if we were all as big as "prudes" as you the waterways would be much safer! im sure the number of people injured wakeboarding would go down also! you are far from a prude! i allow and consume alcohol on my boat however we always make sure some is sober enough to opperate the boat and keep an eye on everyone..
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
"NO SMOKING"....

As for the beer, 2 is the limit per person, driver "ZERO TOLERANCE".. I believe 2 is enough to relax you without you being so intoxicated that you are a fool, can't board safely, are a jerk, etc. Also if kids are on board "Zero Tolerance" I don't belive I need to explain this one.

Just a little bit helps me get over the crash/injury pics I am always seeing on wakeworld that seem to flash in my head as I approach the wake.(not beer though left that in high school, usually a kool-aid cooler)

Remember its your boat you make the rules like your house, if people don't like it just means more runs for everybody else!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
I hate babysetting a grown man or woman. If they want to drink themselves into an idiot they should stay home and do it on their couch where they are safe.
We never drink on my boat but I wouldnt care if someone did as long as they just had a few and didnt cause problems. The first time I felt like I was having to take care of them I would drop them off at the dock.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-14-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Airmousam,

Nope not preaching, it just sounds like those to drink and ride think that you can't have fun if you don't allow alcohol. I'm just saying that we have a blast every time out, even without alcohol.
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-14-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
NO POINT OF DRINKING IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE.
Old    00wakesetter            11-15-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Man peeps, after reading the thread about "boat rules" and now this make me realize i have a great group i hang out with on the water. NO BEER on the boat? That defeates the whole purpose doesnt it?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-15-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
I thought the purpose was to Wakeboard and have fun with friends and family. Everyone has a different defination of "fun". You just have people that have similar interests as you which make them a great group to you.

Those of us with rules etc... have great groups too.

Old    00wakesetter            11-15-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Renee, yes you are right on bro. But i just dont see any reasons to have rules like no beer on the boat. Sometimes i dont even feel like taking a set or driving the boat, i just want to sit back and sip some suds on the boat with some friends and watch my buddies ride. Is there anything wrong with that?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-15-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Renne V,

As others have said...It is YOUR boat so YOU can decide what "rules" work best for your situation.

For the record, we never have alcohol on our boat either. Not that I'm against it, but we just don't go out of our way to bring it on the boat. Boating and heavy drinking are not a good mixture. Having a couple of beers is fine, but the mistake of going from one beer to hammered is an easy one to make.

I know for most it's a social thing and they couldn't see being at the lake without it. I used to think I couldn't have fun without drinking either, but that changed 4 years ago.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-27-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Renee,
More power to you for making your own rules. The primary point of buying the boat and going to the lake is for YOU to have a good time. Set the rules that make it easiest for that to happen. People will gravitate to the places they are most comfy. If they ain't comfy with you, they can go sign up for the toys and then make their own rules.
Frankly, I think it is less about the alcohol on board the boat than the way people act when they have alcohol onboard. We boat with family friends with whom we have vacationed for about 20 years. There are three boats in the crew.
We all have teenagers approaching the magic 21 mark, and some who have surpassed it. We do allow beer in the ice chests. We do allow people to drink it. Those in the group who are regulars have already demonstrated their ability to have a few cold drinks and not turn in to idiots. We watch first-timers like a hawk. If beer turns them in to idiots, they don't get invited back. Period. I figure that if a couple of beers turn somebody into a jerk, then they are one by nature, and I spent about 25 years dealing with those folks on duty, so the last thing I am interested in is dealing with them while retired.
Both my sons were smart enough to pick up on that as youngsters, and were careful with the choices they made in who they invited along. Word gets around, and we have no problems.

(Message edited by sam8 on November 27, 2005)
Old    inzane            11-27-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Yes your a prude.I think you need to have a cocktail and relax.I feel sorry for your husband.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-27-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
"boating Sober is like Fising Sober" that said, I don't allow smoking on my boat and I even frown on smoking on the platform. But you can't burn a hole in the upholstery with a beer can. If somebody lights up on my boat I push them out. It usually always happens when tied up. Some A-hole jump on my boat and wants to "toke a little weed". I usually say " hey smoke on that boat over there" If someone get asked more that twice not to smoke on my boat, I don't hesitate to push them out. I also usually don't drink when I wakeboard because I'm usually the one driving the boat.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-28-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Ohh man would a lot of you guys flip their lids to see our newest vice! We do a little thing called a "Booze Cruise" where you load the boat with 8-12 people in the middle of the night, carry as much Barley pop, bag wine &/or liquor as possible and go have dance party in the middle of the lake. So far no injuries to date and everyone has a great time cutting a rug, as it were. Here's a pic from the last time we did it. This guy, we'll call him Matt, passed out on top of the tower, Mission Accomplished!! We always have at least one sober person. Be safe & do as I say, not as I do. College is for fun right?

(Message edited by stephan on November 28, 2005)
Old    00wakesetter            11-28-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Big Hevey, those speakers rock! PERFECT!
Old    00wakesetter            11-28-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Big Hevey, those speakers rock! PERFECT!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-28-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
the aforementioned "booze cruise" is called a jungle cruise down here. $#!+ gets wild on the colorado river.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-30-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
Drinking is fine on our boat and after 5 yrs of ownership no one has ever become drunk. I may have two beers the entire day and only really drink after we're parked for the night. Safety is a big concern, especially on Folsom. We do a booze once in awhile w/ a sober driver, again we don't get plastered drunk either. I rarely drink too much since I want to hit the am butta..which is real early on Folsom. Nice Weim btw!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-30-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
i am the only one that knows what the drinking is like on the colorado and party cove? i think that philosophy goes against everything this thread stands for. ha!
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
The name on his boat is " No Fun Allowed". He's also never had shoes on his carpet, gets mad when anyone steps on his lawn......
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-04-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
For most people: Drinking does not pose a problem.

But when you are already on the edge of doing something really stupid, it can be an issue. As long as they are not driving, I don't care.

MadChild - you are not the only one here that has been to the sand bar/copper cyn/London bridge/etc!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-05-2005, 12:46 AM Reply   
No drinking and no smoking on the boat. As for when I'm on my friends' boats and I'm not wakeboarding... its on!
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-16-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Only drink allowed on my boat is water. Too many guys that become jerks on contact with beer. Plus if we bring drinks, kids will want to bring juice and snacks. I always end up cleaning up after everybody, so I made the rules that way.

Besides, we rent a lakeside home, so people can drink on shore if they want. The boat is for water sports only.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
Santa My AS$. Way too AR to be a Santa. Change your name.

SD2
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-17-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Your boat, your rules... It doesnt matter what your reasons are. If someone doesnt like it, they can sit on the shore. I never drink on the water, but thats because i'm always the one driving. Now it REALLY ticks me off to see someone driving a boat around when they're plowed; thats just inexcusable. Yeah boats can be fixed, but if someone dies, you cant take that back.

I can name examples...
About 20 years ago when i was a little kid; one of our neighbors let his teenage son use the family boat. The son was out on the boat, drinking and driving. He ran over his friend and killed him. The guy is lucky he didnt end up in prison; but regardless, he'll have to live with that the rest of his life.

Another example. I had my boat at a friends house for a party celebrating a group of marines that had just came back from the war. Long story short... drunken idiot on a seadoo t-boned my boat. I was tied up to the pier and there were people all around swimming. I just consider us lucky no one was hurt.

Example 3, also last summer. I guy on my lake had just gotten a brand new Moomba. He was smashed and he drove it right into a concrete seawall. He got thrown 25 feet from the boat and hit a tree. It pretty much ripped half the meat off his shoulder.

I'll let my friends drink on board. They have always been responsible about it and have never given me a reason not to let them do it. As far as drinking and boarding are concerned. The ones that drink are usually just along for the ride. Those that board usually dont have anything.

Funnily enough, in Alabama, you can get a DUI (same punishment as on the road) while riding a board.
Ala Code section 32-5A-191.3
(a) A person shall not operate or be in actual physical control of any vessel, or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane, or any other marine transportation device on the waters of this state, as the waters are defined in Section 33- 5-3, under any condition in which a person would be guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs pursuant to Section 32-5A-191 if the person was driving or controlling a motor vehicle.

On a lighter note. Stephan... you gotta be sure to save that pic for when that guy has kids.

DKJ

(Message edited by dkjbama92mariah on December 17, 2005)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-17-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
A few rules for my boat these things are a must. Do not get on my boat if you don't have common sense. Leave all problem's on the shore. I bought this boat to have fun not to hear people wine & b!tch. MUST have a good-time or don't come back. If you're doing something on or to my boat I don't like I will tell you. Alcohol is optional if you drink B.Y.O.B.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-17-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
I don't like alcohol in my boat. Soft drinks or other beverages are fine, I'll let a few on if we're heading to the other side of the lake for the day. It's not much of an issue usually though, we have a lake front cabin, so you just throw the cooler on the beach and grab all your drinks when you come in for a break. Even when we ride the other side, we'll head back mid day usually before heading out again.

I don't want the responisiblity or the risk of having drunk riders though.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-17-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
I think 1 beer is great to relax, and anymore sometimes may impair reaction time. The question to ask is what happens if someone breaks their leg and comes back too sue you . After all they would say to the judge it's his boat i don't normally drink blah!, blah! , blah! . I know here in California they have a bunch of commercials on the radio about prosecuting boaters who drink.. Any lawyers out there know the answer? I'm thinking the responsibility could land on the boat owner the same as it would be for someone who owned a bar and someone got hurt after leaving a bar.. I don't think one or two bears would ever hurt anyone. Pretty much everyone knows all of this, but it's understandible to be concerned.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2005, 3:45 AM Reply   
I'm not a lawyer, but i'm a 3rd year at Cumberland School of Law. I can't give legal advice and advise you to consult a licensed attorney. I have to say that or they could, in theory, throw my butt in jail for unauthorized practice of law.

Now the answer is, like always, it depends on the state.

In the case of someone getting hurt while boarding, this is the analysis:
The boat owner would argue assumption of risk. In a sporting or recreational activity, there is generally a presumption that the person assumes the risk that is inherent in the activity. This would include simple negligence on the part of the boat driver.

Now, here's where the states split:
If the state recognizes contributory negligence, then the driver is probably ok unless an equipment failure causes the injury (i.e., rope breaks slinging boarder into a boat dock). Contributory negligence acts as a complete bar to recovery when an act of the plaintiff proximately causes the injury.

However, if the state recognizes comparitive negligence, then it gets a little tricky. Comparitive negligence tries to assign fault between the plaintiff and defendant. The assumption of risk doctrine only goes halfway here. The injured party assumes the risks inherent in the activity, including the ordinary carelessness of others (i.e., the driver). However, the injured party DOES NOT assume the risk of intentional or reckless conduct of other party. So, you would normally be ok UNLESS your intentional or reckless act caused the injury. If this is the case, you could be screwed.

If they are just on the boat, then it probably puts a little more burden on the driver. Again it still depends on the jurisdiction. But still, pretty much, if its their dumba$$ act, they'd probably lose.

Now. Regardless of whether or not you've been drinking. If they are in the boat, and you wreck the boat and hurt them, then you would most likely be held liable. Also, if you HAVE been drinking, and the person dies, you could be prosecuted criminally for vehicular homicide, manslaughter, or , if your conduct is really aggregious, even murder.

As far as the bar owner question goes: A court would almost definitely NOT treat you like it does an owner of a bar. The duty of care that is required of bar owners rises far above traditional common law doctrine. The only reason it does is by a statute passed by a legislature that imposes that heightened duty of care.

Now enough with all the legal mumbo jumbo and back to the real world. If someone gets hurt on your boat, there is a good chance you could get sued. Regardless of whether you're actually liable, it doesnt stop them from finding the nearest ambulance-chaser, marching down to the courthouse, and filing a claim against you. Your liability insurance company would provide you with a lawyer, and would cover you if you lost. But a lawsuit just in itself would be a HUGE pain in the rump.

Pretty much, pay your insurance premiums, go out and have fun. Just dont let your buddies get stupid, and if they do, take em back to shore. Regardless of a lawsuit, you don't want a dead friend on your conscious for the rest of your life.

Cheers,
DKJ

(Message edited by dkjbama92mariah on December 18, 2005)
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-18-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
I didn't read this whole long thread so this may have been said.

If you don't want to allow alcohol on your boat then those who go on your boat should respect that and not bring alcohol. I don't think you should have to explain either. Your reasons could be legal, such as boating laws, legal such as somebody in the group having parole restrictions, liability, such as what if somebody gets hurt and sues, personal such as someone in the group is a recovering alcoholic, or religious, such as having strong convictions against alcohol. If you feel the rule is justified then I would say just make the rule and go with it.
Old     (theoneandonly)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 5:00 AM Reply   
mmmmm beer
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
it tastes so good when it hits your lips
Old     (wyblea)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-24-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
I cant tell people not to drink on my boat being that they have to step on my hang over puke stain to get in it.....
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-25-2006, 12:51 AM Reply   
Adam thats awesome, you definitley have no grownds to say no on drinking... This summer was a funny one ive seen people drinking on tubes, wakeboardin just about everything.. I tend to stay sober sense im the el capitan but I don't care if people drink till they pass out I just tend to put life vest on them