Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    army_of_one            01-18-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I am in the Army, currently serving in Iraq and will be returning in June 06. My wife has not only signed up to allow me to buy a boat, but she has agreed to pick it out the boat and purchase it this winter. I want to take advantage of her willingness to allow this purchase and the boat show deals. I have a family of five (three daughters ages 3 to 8) so I need a comfortable boat for the family. I also want as much performance as possible. It will be primarily used for wakeboarding and surfing. I also need to stay around the 45k range (do not have a lot of flex here). I am a soldier, not independently wealthy. My wife is going to her first boat show in Alabama on the 20th. I was hoping that some knowledgeable boarding veterans will impart some advice she could use on her quest to make her husband happy. She will be in contact with me through email, but she is primarily on her own. I am not predisposed to a specific boat or manufacturer. I grew up around Supra, but I have spent the last couple of years boarding behind a friend¡¦s Malibu Sunsetter. She plans on having the boat in the driveway when I get back in June. I want to get the most for my money and my wife is concerned she will make the wrong decision. She can¡¦t go wrong with any decision she makes seeing how I will be leaving Iraq and coming home to a boat ƒº¡K but some solid advice would ease her mind. For all those who answer¡K thanks in advanced
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
If you are cool with the 45k range, you most probably could pick up a very low hour high quality used boat, a last years X-2 (now the X-1), or super air 210, or Malibu VLX. For that money you would get all the options and have a very high quality boat.

You may also be able to find a new boat from one of the less expensive manufacturers like Supra or Moomba. Typically these will run in the price range you want and have all the options.

Keep in mind that taxes will add up too, thus furthering you into the used range of boats. Typically, a used high end boat for around 40k will be one hell of a ride.

Options that are absolutely critical for wakeboarding and surfing:

Tower with board racks
V-Drive
Ballast tanks
Perfect Pass
Good Stereo
Dual axle trailer for hauling to the lake safely.

I bought an 02 Super Air last year, team edition with all the options, dual axle trailer, cover, and 110 hrs. 42k plus tax. No regrets on the decision at all. If you are on a budget and want the most boat for the money, go with a used boat and let someone else take the hit when they drive it off the lot.

Best of luck and thanks for putting your neck out there in Iraq.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Here's an example of what could be had near your price range:

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3681
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Flux, That was a great post. I like how you didn't start bashing any boats. Good review.

Rhett, Keep it up. You guys are doing a great job and we all appreciate your effort.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Insuranceman.

Rhett, have your wife visit the booths of all the manufacturers and give her the list of the things she needs on the boat. Find out what she liked and disliked about each brand and the different models she looked at. Getting a 21' V-drive with all the options is most important. Perfect pass is an absolute must as are ballast tanks.

Also, check out the used boat websites:

http://www.flipsell.com
http://www.boattraderonline.com

as well as the boats section on this board. When you narrow it down a bit, post what you are looking at here and you will get some feedback. People here know their boats and will help steer you in the right direction. Do not count out buying a used boat, you can save alot of coin that way. I love my used boat.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-18-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Rhett, there are quite a few boats that can be had for that price range. Like Flux said there are many options of used boats, Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra, Nautique. If she's going to a boat show she'll be looking at new boats, most are a little different from last year and can be had on the used market. If she wants a quality new boat for that price she will want to look at Sanger, hopefully they will be represented at the Show. Also a new Malibu VRide can be had for close to your number. Look into the Sanger V210 & V215, I feel they are the best boat for the $ out there. Good luck and thanks for your service, kick some ass.
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Rhett,

I agree with all said above. I have been on the hunt for a boat for the past couple of months. One thing I would add is: find out your state's sales tax regs on boats. You can save a ton of money in my state(LA) by buying from an individual, or a consignment boat from a dealer(if paperwork is filled out "right"), because you pay no tax if you can show sales tax was EVER paid by an individual on that boat. With your price range, that could save 3-4K. My 2 cents.

Mike
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-18-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
One more thing to add with buying used (i don't know if this pertains to new purchases). If you find a reputable dealer out of state with a boat that will suit your needs there should be no sales tax (but there will be delivery charges). That may be a little more than what you or she would want to do but you may be able to check out some dealer websites and correspond with your wife and the dealer about a purchase. If you are in the $45k range you can get a great boat. Keep up the good work over there! I can say i honestly appreciate it!

(Message edited by biz on January 18, 2006)
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-18-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Alabama = no Sanger
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
For most states(Alabama included), sales tax applies on new boats regardless of point of purchase. They collect when you register. BTW, the Birmingham boat show is the first weekend in Feb.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-18-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Rhett,
My boat is officially for sale yet, but if you are interested, I might be selling mine. 2002 Super Air Nautique Team Edition. Email me and I will send you photos and details. I did the same thing as Flux did with no regrets either. Nautiques are great boats and have a phenominal resale value.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-18-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
with a family of five + friends, I would look at a larger boat. I have always wanted a Bu Lsv. They seem like really nice boats with a ton of room. You can usually find a used one for around 45K. Keep in mind that ANY new boat you buy will loose a lot if its value when you leave the lot. buying used seems to be a good idea. Thanks for fighting for us.
Old    ilovetrains            01-18-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Rhett - one important consideration is the dealer. Maybe you should post up the are where you will be boating so people can chime in about the dealers in that area.
Old    army_of_one            01-18-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
To answer some questions... I am located in Northern Alabama and the sales tax is minimal in my area.

Hayes, you are right about Sanger... no dealer in Alabama.

After reading some of the postings, I believe we are on the right track. It is either a used boat or a new Moomba, Supra or Malibu ride series. I may have to flex toward the 50k range
Old    army_of_one            01-18-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any knowledge of Session boats? My wife asked me a question and I have never seen one in person.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-19-2006, 1:21 AM Reply   
Rhett,

Yep, I'd take a good look at the Malibu vride, Supra 21v and Moomba Mobius LSV. I very recently purchased a boat with the same price target and quickly narrowed my choices down to these three boats. I initially considered the X-1 as well, but it exceeded that price range (at least the dealer in Austin wasn't willing to deal in that price range...from what I've seen on wakeworld Mastercraft pricing seems to be all over the map so you might try your luck.)

I liked the interior of the vride, how it drove, and I could get it with the options I wanted OTD for 45k (no trailer). However, I decided against it because I felt the wake was a little too rampy for my taste. If I had liked the wake better, it might have been my boat of choice. Once I ruled out the Malibu, I went back and forth a little between the LSV and the 21V, but in the end I went ahead and spent a little more and got the Supra. I was able to get a good deal on a leftover 2005 model which made the decision to upgrade a litle easier. Even on a 2006 model, though, I think you could be OTD for 45k or maybe just a little over that if you are easy on the options. The LSV you should be able to get optioned about pretty well OTD for less than 40k.

Two other boats you might consider are the Centurion Lightning and the Tiger 20V. I didn't look too closely into either boat myself, but I think they would fall into the 45k price range. I did take a brief look at the 20V at the boat show and thought it was a good deal being offered for 41.5k It has a deep freeboard like the Supra and decent interior space for a 20ft boat. I haven't ridden behind it, so I can't comment directly on the wake. I don't have any info, first hand or otherwise, on the Centurion.

If none of the boats above do it for you, then I agree with the suggestions about looking into the used market as I think all the other mainstream wakeboard boats will be over the 45k price point.

No matter what you decide, you should be able to get a great boat for 45k. Don't feel bad about being on a budget...most of us are!
Old    army_of_one            01-19-2006, 2:17 AM Reply   
David,

Thanks for the post... exactly the feed back I was looking for

Rhett
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-19-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
First post here.

Rhett,

I am looking for my first boat. I am also in a very similar price range as you. I have test drove the following: 2005 Tige 22V, Session, Malibu 21 XTI, VLX and VRide. Honestly these are all great boats. My wife and I are new to wakeboarding and never anticipate being "advanced". Overall, I really like the Tige. We are leaning towards the XTI because we love the layout and "pure" boarding ability is not high on our list and direct drive is cheaper. The Session was solid too. I am just leary of resale and will they be around in five years? This is a tough process. Please remember I am a rookie in regards to wakeboarding and wakeboard boat experience. I have six months of internet research and five test drives under my belt. Wakeboarding experience is behind a '99 Moomba, one old bowrider and a couple of jon boats...haha
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-19-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
Don't forget dealer support. Your wife may even be better at spotting a phony than us men are. You want someone who is genuine, not just out to make a sell and will support you well with questions you have and warranty issues. The interaction the dealer has with a woman may be very telling.

I think you may be able to get a Tige 22V for your price range. It will be very roomy for the family and lots of storage space. I wouldn't get a ballast system if you get a Tige, since it is already nearly 1000 pounds heavier than most. Depending on your skill, you may want a little extra, but most riders find it is their skill, not the wake that limits their performance on that boat.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-19-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Tim,

Welcome to Wakeworld. Lots of good info to be had here.

The 21 XTi is a great boat and if you liked the Tige have a look at their 22i as well. The layout in those two boats is about as good as it gets for versatility in an inboard configuration.

Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-19-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I was going to echo the Tige comments. As a new boat, they are right in the price range you are looking for. I was pleasantly surprised at how much you get for the money from them. Unklike TTG, I would recommend getting the optional ballast. Even if you don't use it, that will help at resell trade-in time. I haven't heard too many people say "gee, I wish I hadn't gotten the extra 1000# of ballast for my boat". He is right though, the boat is way heavier than most of the competition out there.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-19-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
JK,

The 22i freeboard was lower (it seemed, I don't have facts) therefore I did not like the height of the seat backs. The top of the seat was too low on my back. I found it uncomfortable just sitting in the showroom.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-19-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
The Moomba XLV is hands down the biggest wakeboarding and surfing wake, as well as the roomiest interior in your price range if you are to buy new. You may as well if you have that much to spend. Worry free for life of hull and 3 years on the engine if I remember correctly. If anyone argues this point, they haven't ridden behind one with full GG ballast. Should definitely fit your price range with some extras thrown in. Good luck, thanks for your commitment to our freedoms and an early welcome back!

PS I am a current Supra owner, and a former owner of a 1995 Master Craft and 1999 SAN, with friends with a Tige and Malibu that I ride behind on a semi-regular basis. Our lake has many companies represented which is cool. Very fun to compare all the little differences, most of which are insignificant. The above regarding the XLV is a purely objective statement.

(Message edited by rmcronin on January 19, 2006)
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Oh Nooooooooo. Here we go!!!!!!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-19-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
i like the slightly used 05 vlx idea... but i'm also a staunch 'bu enthusiast.

i hope TJK doesn't show up.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-19-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Rhett, thanks for everything you guys are doing for us, come home safe.

Have your wife sit in all of the driver's seats of these boats and see which one she likes. She will probably be driving quite a bit and needs to feel comfortable. Also are you going to use it for camping or mostly day trips? Have her look at storage and layout. Is it comfortable to be riding in the observer's seat? Who is going to do the service you or the dealer? If the dealer is, you might want to go with the boat they offer. If you have a wake shape in mind that may be a more important factor.
If not, the above mentioned factors should get her started in selecting the boat. Have her take pictures and e-mail them to you. Good Luck, you're gonna have a great summer to look forward to.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-19-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have been told by several friends who returned from Iraq that there is a way to buy cars and motorcycles through the BX/PX while you are deployed at a significant cost and tax savings, and the BX arranges to have the vehicle delivered to a dealer near you and waiting for you when you get home. I'm not sure if boats can be purchased through this program, but you may want to check into it. There is supposedly a rep at the BX/PX that is dedicated to this program. Good luck, and come home safe.
Old    army_of_one            01-19-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
Sam Aikele,

The PX does have great deals on cars and motorcycles... no boats. Wish they did... good thinking.

All,

Thanks for the support... great to know the country is behind the Troops.

Rhett
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-20-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Rhett - I just read this post and wanted to say THANK YOU for your service. Whatever boat you get it will be your dream come true. I sincerely mean that for you and your family.

Since you mentioned Supra, take a strong look at the 21V. It fits the price range and will work great for your family of 5 because of its one of the deepest and widest in its class. I have a large family too, and this boat works great for family vacations and at the same time I got great response from all the riders at the 4 events I pulled with my 05. The 4 top things I like are the wake is worldclass, the driveability really shines when you sac this boat out, hides up to 2200lb ballast - no stepping on bags, and the style.

I liked my 05 so much I did a 06 Launch 21V. Not for sale until Oct 1. Your local dealer will have some great boat show incentives from the factory. Here's a link to my 06.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/258398.html

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-21-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Rhett,
Sorry, no useful input on the boat purchase. I just want to thank you and all of the troops for keeping us safe back home. Come home safe to your family and your boat knowing we appreciate what you are doing.

Rod
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-21-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Rhett,

With 3 kids and a wife you're going to want some room, especialy if you bring another couple along. I think a Malibu VLX may be what you're looking for. It has tons of room and storage. $45K out the door will about impossible to do for a new VLX though. I paid about $49K for mine out the door and that is the best deal I've heard of with these options... depth finder, bimini, 4th ballast tank, 340hp Monsoon engine, Roadrunner-HD trailer, Ski Pac extended warranty, factory stereo (not worth it), board racks... I think that's about it. Notice I didn't say Perfect Pass, which is a must that I'm adding this spring.

Btw, I am also a soldier, currently at Ft Hood. There are several soldiers (mostly pilots) here with nice boats. I know of about 4 Malibus, a Moomba, and a couple of nice recreational boats. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Everyone will tell you that the dealer is the most important factor. While important, the way we move... I'm not sure it's the most important factor. I've moved 7 times in 9 years!

Not to insult your intelligence, you know what these boats cost... but keep in mind that insurance, storage, and gas add up too. I say that because my wife was onboard too when we purchased it but complains about the extra monthly expenses all the time. It's worth it though!

Be safe, Attack!
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-21-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Rhett,

I bought my first boat last April and it was a Supra 21V. We really like going to the lake and have a great time with it. Me and my family like all the storage that it has for everyone. Like other people have said it's in your price range too. just my .02$.

I would like to thank you for my family's freedom. It is because of people like you that we have it. At times we all forget that. Be safe and come home soon so you can enjoy your new boat what ever you go with.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
If you don't mind bit of a ride to pick itup my Centurion Dealer has several left over models
They will make you a somkin deal

http://www.clarkboat.com
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-21-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Rhett, first of all thanks for serving our country. I am from central Alabama (currently living in FL)and I have been to the boat show in Birmingham several times. For the most part most of the major towboat manufacturers are represented there so it may be worth the trip to that boat show too, I think it is in February. There are usually Nautiques,Tiges, Moombas, Centurions, MasterCraft and I might be missing some others (Supra maybe?). I know Rambo Marine is in North AL and they sell MasterCraft and there is also North Alabama Nautiques so they may be a good source of used towboats. There is a Tige dealer in Jasper and I have been really impressed with the prices and features on the last few model years of Tiges.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-21-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
Rhett,

My first thought was to suggest the Sanger, but then I checked your profile and saw that you aren't in CA so it would be difficult for you to get one... although, I think they do ship .

A lot of people will tell what kind of boat to get, my goal is to give you ideas on what kind of features to get. Ones that I didn't know existed when I bought my boat.

One thing I HIGHLY suggest is that with children, especially little ones, it would be a good idea to look for a boat that is deep inside.

I have ridden in Robert's Supra 21V and had I not already fell in love with my Sanger, I would have really liked the Supra. It's nice and deep and has the greatest feature in the world (IMO)... a jump seat in between the driver and the passenger. Ours didn't come with one, but I had one made. I love it. It allows me to sit next to my hubby while he's driving and vise versa, it also allows someone to sit right next to the heater hoses in the winter or on cold spring mornings. Oh, and if you think you might still be riding in the winter, GET A HEATER! We didn't think we needed one until we rode in Robert's boat at 7:00 am on a chilly spring morning.

Here is a pic of the interior of the Supra 21V.
Old    stillstandin            01-21-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
I'll second renee. If I had no Sanger ava, for the 45k range... Supra 21V. Great boat, great company. I love my Sanger, the Supra would have been my next choice. The X1 (old X2) is a great wakeboat, but you said you dont anticipate being advanced, and you have a family. I think the Supra would be a better choice (more room). I also would consider which dealership treats your wife the best, and has the best service. Thanks for the job you guys are doing over there, hope you have your boat waiting for ya when you get back.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-21-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
Oh, I forgot to mention, under that Supra jump seat is a huge storage area. This would be especially good for you since women (even ones that are between the ages of 3 and 8) have a lot of "stuff".
Old    army_of_one            01-22-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
All,

Thanks for all the posts. My wife ordered a Supra 21v yesterday and I will pick it up when I return from Iraq. Again, I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their schedule to help my family make this decision.

Rhett
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
Good job and what a wife! Be sure to put a post up when you return. Enjoy!!!

(Message edited by rmcronin on January 23, 2006)
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-23-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
Rhett,

If your wife has any questions at all, here is my email at work. I work at Skier's Choice. rtinker@skierschoice.com. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help and Thanks for all you do.

Rick
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-23-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Uh, Rick runs the place (I guess that is work).

You will love it.

SD2

Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Great choice, congratulations on the new boat!

-dave
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-23-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
You are one lucky dude, with a wife that will pick out and order a boat for you!! Enjoy Bro!! Lots af good times ahead. Good to have you back safely!! Thanks for everything you are doing over there!