Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-19-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
This year I took out any removable cushions from my boat and stored them in my attic, the attic stays warm through the winter. I was periodically checking on them to make sure there wasen't any evidence of mice getting at them. They have been in the attic since october, some of the cushions were lying on top of one another. I haden't noticed any evidence of mice or any mold, until I checked them the other day.
They have black mold/mildew on a few of the bow cushions which I have been able to get off for the most part, but they also have these reddish/brown stains, which almost looks like dried blood. I have no idea how they got there, what the cause was or how to get them off.
Before I put them away I cleaned them all off with spray nine marine, wiped them off and thought they were all dry..
I have searched the internet looking for a solution to remove the stains, the best thing I had found was a bottle of malco plastic and leather cleaner which I ordered but will take a few weeks to receive it.
Does anyone know what caused these stains? or how to get them out? luckily its only on 3 of the cushions, but I would prefer to remove the stains rather than having the vinyl replaced.

I hope someone has the answer I am looking for
Attached Images

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Looks alot like mold to me. Good possibility of condensation if you ask me in an attic.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-19-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Many homes have black mold in the attic. This is caused by high indoor humidity usually during the winter months. The moisture in the home condensates and flows up into the attic. It begins to collect on the sheathing during cold days. The ridge vents, eve vents or standard roof vents all allow mold spores inside. The result is a perfect storm of mold growth. Did you find any evidence of mold growth any other places in the attic?

Good catch as it could have been way worse. I have seem boats come through with black interiors when the shrink wrap is taken off. Click on Dave's boat bling ad or go to easyboatcare.com and buy some Vinyl Sauce. I have seen that stuff work wonders on moldy cushions. I have also used the 303 product. You should be able to get them clean.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-19-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
When all else fails, denatured alchol will remove the stains but avoid getting any on the seams. It may weaken them.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-19-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
I would start with some Malco Leather & Plastic Cleaner before I'd try anything else. This stuff is amazing as many here can attest to. I had some mildew get on my sunpad cushions a few years ago and with the help of a semi stiff brush it all came out no problem.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
"Totally Awesome" from Dollar General
its only a buck and same formula as the Malco listed above and available local.
spray it on scrub for a minute or two, keep wet, do NOT let dry, and wipe off. your seats will look better than they did when you put them up there.

there are a few threads on this "totally awesome" its amazing stuff, and cheap.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-19-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Yeah it looks like mold and if it is "Totally Awesome" or Malco should get it off. If you don't want to wait for the Malco or don't want to spend that much money go to the dollar store on your way home and you will see it. It is in a frost white bottle with red lettering on it. Spray it on good and heavy right from the bottle and then get a good soft to medium bristle scrub brush and scrub away. After that wipe it clean and many will suggest using water or a vinvyl conditioner to treat the vinyl. If that does not get it, the only other suggestion I have is a magic eraser or leave it out in the sun.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-19-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Another vote for Totally Awesome. That stuff is, well totally awesome. I thought my vinyl was pretty. Lean midway through the summer. I hit everything with that stuff and the color popped like it just rolled out of the factory.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-19-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
Totally Awesome is the best for the money,but Boat Bling Vinyl sauce will get out the most stubborn stains.Try Totally Awesome first,if it doesn't get it use the Boat Bling.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-19-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
Okay that was the thread I was waiting for ... I have some leaf/helicopter stains I can't get out ... Demo boat with 20 hrs on it but was left outside w/o cover ... Totally awesome will do the trick too???
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-20-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
Awesome, Thanks for all the tips fellas. I will try finding some of that totally awesome cleaner, I am in canada but only an hour from the border so hopefully I can locate some
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-20-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
You have a serious attic problem, poor venting and or poor insulation . The attic should be the same temp as the outside in the winter if its warmer as you said it will form condensation and will promote mold growth. It will be very expensive to repair if not corrected.
Be careful with the Magic erasers they are very abrasive and will damage the vinyl with extended use.
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-26-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
So I got the malco cleaner in the mail today, took it home and tried it out... with no luck. Didn't evem phase it. I'm guessing its stained.
There is no moisture problem in the attic, everything is very dry up there, I have other seat cushions up there as well and nothing happened to them, the cushions that have the "stains" were lying on top of one another, my guess is that they were unable to breathe and were still moist when put away and thus these "stains" were created.
I sprayed one of the seats with the cleaner and put it in a bag and I'm going to leave it in there over night and hopefully (fingers crossed) it will penetrate the stains and everything will come out and I won't have to have the vinyl replaced or have stained vinyl in my boat and feel like a dumbass all summer long..
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Try a magic eraser. They're not as harsh as some make them out to be. I use them on my seats all the time, especially on the sides between seats where stuff gets trapped and stained. Then just let the sun take care of any stubborn stains.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-26-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
If none of that stuff gets the stains out just leave them in the sun as much as possible. Eventually the UV rays will get rid of the stains.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-26-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
If you have a staple gun, you may want to take a "skin" off one of the seat bottoms and try to attack the mold/ stain problem from the inside. Maybe the majority of the mold growth is growing on the inside of the seat skin and is showing thru? Another option to try before you tear the skins off would be to let these bake in the sun. Sometimes the sun will take care of those spots. I get these type stains in my V drive hatches when the boat is covered. Once the hatches sit in the sun a while, the spots disappear. I've heard people say its from mold, moisture and upholstery chemicals/glue. Whatever causes it, irritates the heck out of me.
Old     (comsew)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-16-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
The issue lies within the vinyl characteristics where glues and foam backings cross contaminate the vinyl surface setting the conditions for staining to occur.
Additionally the staining can also be mold growth in the foam section that bleeds to the vinyl surface from the backside.
Due to the expense many times the foams do not include antimicrobial treatment.
Lack of a high quality top coat adds to the poor resistance of vinyl reacting to organic compounds that come in contact with it.

Certain boat brands exhibit this staining problem while many others do not.
Higher quality vinyl’s resist any staining or discoloration.