Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KT2002)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-16-2015, 1:31 AM Reply   
I currently have a 2015 Bryant 233X. I have 4 pairs of Wetsounds XS-650's, 2 Rev 10 tower speakers, 1 10" Polk sub and three Polk D4000.4 amps (1 for 650s, 1 for tower speakers and 1 for sub). I'm looking to upgrade the drivers side sub to the XS-12 sub and move the Polk sub under the passenger seat. Does anyone have any experience with the XS-12? Specs look good on it. Also looking for a recommendation for an amp to push the XS-12.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2015, 4:57 AM Reply   
Bridge the XS-12 on a Syn-2 and you wont need the polk 10".
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-16-2015, 5:22 AM Reply   
I agree. One subwoofer location only. Use the first and best location. Use the best sub possible with plenty of power. Skip the second sub. Sub frequencies are long waveforms and prone to phasing problems when originating from varying distances and varying loading methods.
Old     (KT2002)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-16-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Are the amps enough power for the other speakers? I'm getting a little distortion on the 650s

Amplifier Power Specs RMS Power at 14.4V Watts per channel bridged - 4 ohms 400 watts
Amplifier Power Specs RMS Power at 14.4V Watts per channel NOT bridged @ 1 kHz - 2 ohms 200 watts
Amplifier Power Specs RMS Power at 14.4V Watts per channel NOT bridged @ 1 kHz - 4 ohms 125 watts
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-16-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
Amplifiers are built different... The distortion may be due to the amplifiers themselves.. Some do not notice as others do... You may need to upgrade your power as you seem to want clean sound and it cost money
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2015, 4:44 PM Reply   
Yes, the P4000.4 is respectable wattage for in-boats. I would look at tuning and upstream to the music source for cause of distortion.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-16-2015, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Yes, the P4000.4 is respectable wattage for in-boats. I would look at tuning and upstream to the music source for cause of distortion.
Again, I am in total agreement. This wouldn't be my first choice in amplifier, but it has plenty of power for the job. Even with the power losses at a 12.5 volt supply and across the entire bandwidth, you could still drive the XS-650 coaxials very well. Look into upstream voltage, gain structure, crossovers, source, downloads, supply voltage, cables, terminations, etc. etc. Also, a speaker mounted into a thin plastic or densified foam coaming pocket stands little chance.
Old     (KT2002)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-17-2015, 2:01 PM Reply   
Thx for the help. Yeah the Polk amps aren't my choice but Bryant's Wetsound stereo upgrade came with them...
Old     (KT2002)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-18-2015, 7:58 PM Reply   
Ordered the XS-12 and the Syn-2 which should be here tomorrow. With this setup should I also purchase another battery? Right now I have 2 Red Tops but was thinking about adding an AGM Group 31 105amp battery for the stereo. Should I keep all three batteries and have 1 red top and the AGM Group 31 for the radio and the other red top just to start the boat or just have the AGM for the radio and the red top to start the boat and sell the other battery? Don't want to overdo it but if it is needed then I'll keep all three of them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2015, 4:10 AM Reply   
I would not wire a different AGM in parallel with one of the existing red optima. You want 2 identical batteries if you went that route. Removing one of the optima red tops in exchange for a larger group-31 AGM would be the most ideal for a house bank. Keep the other red top for the main cranking. Beyond that single group-31, the need for additional Ah, is going to depend on how long you want to play with the engine off.