Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-05-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
OMGhi2u.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2006, 5:19 AM Reply   
Here is what our local paper has to say about it:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/custom/adventure/orl-dallas0606oct06,0,7894496.story?coll=orl-home-promo
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-06-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
My prayers are with Dallas and her family. Joe & Dave please continue to update us with any info you might have and let us know if there is anything we can do for her or her family.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
So...no REAL updates in a couple of days. Is she awake? Anyone know what's going on?
Old     (idahotige)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hang in there Dallas. You and your family are in our deepest thoughts and prayers. God bless and get well soon.
Old     (shepherd1000)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Dallas is no stranger to sports related injuries, and I expect she'll pull through this one, too. Here's a quote from Dallas I found on the internet:
"In 2001, I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus. In 2002, I had a broken L3 vertebra in my back. In 2003, I had 3 torn ligaments in my ankle. In any sport you are one injury away from being a spectator, but I love the sport so much I try not to think about it."
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-06-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
The last news I heard was that there was no new news. Breathing 60% on her own but no improvment nor signs of getting worse. Please keep praying!!!
Old    wakelvr            10-06-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
We are praying for you Dallas.....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-dallas0606oct06,0,2087881.story?track=rss
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have been checking in almost twice a day on this topic, once in the morning with my coffee and once in the evening. Each day I hope to open the thread to "she is breathing on her own and doing well".

Get well soon Dallas!
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-06-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
My heart and prayers go out to her and her family. She and the rest of the women are such role models for us girls that ride. I hope she is back and riding with in no time. I hope to hear the news that she is doing things on her own again and back to her normal self. I whish her nothing but the best. It just breaks my heart to see and read the pics of her.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Here's a link on that page that is an email from Dallas' mom.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_local_news/2006/10/email_from_dall.html
Old     (tazbike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-06-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Get well soon Dallas!

We are all hoping and praying for you and your family.
Old     (gltr)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
All of us here at Girls Learn To Ride hope and pray Dallas has a full recovery. She has been a great inspiration to all of the girls and women who have learned to wakeboard and is a great role model to females everywhere.

GET WELL DALLAS!
Old    awsnow            10-07-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Does anyone have an update on Dallas? It has been a while since new information has been posted.
Old     (rippleeffect)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Dallas we're truly praying for you and your family every single Day!!

Doesn't seem like she's gotten better OR worse from this brief update Copied from Alliance Wake from yesterday:

Injury Updates
by TS
10/6/2006 Dallas Friday remains in a Singapore hospital today due to post-surgical complications for a broken femur she suffered during last weekend's World Cup event. I talked to Drew McGuckin, Dallas' boyfriend, today, and he said that doctor's still have Dallas on a respirator for her collapsed lung. He added that she was supposed to be off the respirator yesterday, but the recovery is taking longer than expected. Doctors are keeping her sedated during the recovery process, so she was not available for comment. If you would like to send Dallas well-wishes, we have set up an emial for her and your notes will be passed along as soon as she is able to field them: dallas@alliancewake.com.
Old     (h20togo)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-07-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
Damn I hope she pulls through I've had my share of severe injuries, hate to see any one full of life hurt like this. Wishing you a speedy recovery Dallas you are in my thoughts.
Old     (otown)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-08-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
We wanted to let everyone know that we received a call early this morning from Dallas. She has improved enough for the doctors to remove the ventilator and can breathe on her own. She is still in intensive care and recovering but is no longer sedated.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-08-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
I just got this from Dallas' mom this morning. Great news...

Dallas has been taken off her breathing tube and is breathing on her own. The doctors will do an assessment once she has been off the breathing tube 12 hours and will release an official statement about her condition. We are so encouraged by this latest news. We are pleased with the excellent care she has gotten over in Singapore. Thank you for all your prayers and support for Dallas and please continue to pray for her recovery.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-08-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Glen and Dave for the update I keep checking to see if there's any new news on Dallas, glad to see she is making big improvements.
Old    awsnow            10-08-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
This is awesome!!!
I have been waiting to hear this great news. I, like many, check this forum many times a day to get the latest on her progress! Thanks for the update.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-08-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Righteous!! That's great news.
Old    Lakewood, WA            10-08-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
i'm a firefighter/EMT in a large west coast city. I've treated somewhere between 6 or 8 femur fractures this year.

The first thing that needs/should/has to be done,(after assuring the airway, breathing, circulation is OK) is to get that leg in traction. Without traction the femur muscles spasm, pulling the possibly very jagged fractured femur bones through muscle and/or the femoral artery. THe body runs most of the major arteries a good distance from the surface of th skin, except when not feasible (carotid, etc.) The femoral artery runs very close to the femur bone. Slice through that thing and your patient could potentially bleed out in very little time. All femur fractures in our department receive paramedic treatment, to include two large bore IVs and 2 Liters af saline, on a pressure infuser. this is to counter any possible pumping/pressure losses. Additionally if the patients blood pressure becomes too low then they cannot give them any pain meds, regardless of the degree of injury and pain. Another reason to get the IVs started and get the femur stablized.

She was in killer pain when they had her in that stokes basket. i cannot believe someone did not know it was broken and allowed her to hold it at the angle indicated. Someone at a minimum should have been appplying manual traction (grabbing and pulling on her ankle with her body restrained and her leg straight).

Every time i pull traction on a femur fracture (we had one on a car/pedestrian accident a week ago) the patient is much relieved of the pain once the traction splint is applied.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-08-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Glen and Dave thanks so much for the updates. It’s nice that we all care so much about her. I can’t wait to here you guys tell us she is coming home. Thanks guys for not keeping us in the dark. This just goes to show you how much in this sport we care about one another.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-08-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
John...as a trauma nurse I was also surprised to see that she had no IV access for pain or even NO2 in the field..However, as a professional in the orthopedic field and a trauma fracture patient myself (compound, comminuted tib/fib fx), I think that pulling her leg into traction would risk traumatizing or perforating the femoral artery. She was obviously stable and tolerating her pain. An IV access with pain meds would have been nice and humane, but as you can see she was ok. I would not have jeopardized that situation unless her stability had changed. Based on the information I have received, I feel they did the right thing.....they probably started an IV in the transport vehicle, (that is where they started mine and I was in a foreign country too) and transported her to a facility where they could give her advanced treatment....and they did. Assessing her in the field is very different than assessing a patient on line. I am sure your assessment in the field is in line with our professional abilities. Just be thankful she has received adequate treatment and that she is improving. Obviously the collapsed lung added to her difficulties, but she is young and tough....that goes a long ways in her recovery.

Thank to everyone for all the updates. Thousands are praying for you Dallas....and we all care for you and appreciate you.
Old     (janifer_ellis)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
Monday, 9th October 2006
8:00 pm

Official Statement from the Singapore Waterski & Wakeboard Federation (SWWF)

Dallas Friday’s condition has continued to improve. On Sunday, 8 October 2006, she was taken off a ventilator that was used to support her breathing during her recovery, and is now breathing on her own. She is no longer sedated, is alert and is able to communicate with her family.

Commented her father, Robin Friday, "We are pleased with the excellent care she has received here in Singapore. Special thanks go to Changi General Hospital, the Singapore Waterski and Wakeboard Federation and their incredible staff who have provided so much more than the round-the-clock care and support throughout this challenging time. My family is eternally grateful to Changi General Hospital and the Singapore Waterski & Wakeboard Federation. Dallas has become one of their own. Thank you for all your prayers and support for Dallas and please continue to pray for her recovery”.

From Janifer - This is really good news.....also, Dallas is asking for a super big "Cheese Burger"! This is a very good sign our American Sweetheart is getting much better!
Old     (otown)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-09-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
One more great update... We spoke with her mom this morning and Dallas is finally out of intensive care. She had a great day yesterday all of the tubes are now removed and she is rapidly improving.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Socal...were you there?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hey j-rod...how ya doin! How's the Delta now.
Na...but my point being no one on this thread was so we shouldn't be making assessments from here if we weren't there with hands on knowledge. I only shared my own experience to say all traumas are different....we shouldn't have a cookie cutter mentality to treatment. My response was to John that we can't be here making the same judgement calls as if we were there....that's all. And since us healthcare people are anal about how we care for our patients. I also said based on what they saw and assessed I am sure they did the right thing....obviously supported by the fact that she is having a great outcome now. And John didn't know if they maybe did reduce the fracture in the transport vehicle.
Anyway, I wish her the best outcome and have been praying for her and her family.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-09-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
"i cannot believe someone did not know it was broken and allowed her to hold it at the angle indicated. Someone at a minimum should have been appplying manual traction (grabbing and pulling on her ankle with her body restrained and her leg straight).

Every time i pull traction on a femur fracture (we had one on a car/pedestrian accident a week ago) the patient is much relieved of the pain once the traction splint is applied."

Thats what I was told was the procedure as well.

I'm sure glad to hear she's out of intensive care. I remember lung complications being a very real possibility after that kind of surgery.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Great news Glen...I imagine she'll be coming home soon.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-09-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
I thought I'd share a nice picture of Dallas that my son took at Rail Jam in Austin, TX last summer. We're glad she is doing better.

Upload
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
SoCal (and John B.)
We appreciate your expertise, but if you have been following this thread all the way through, you will realize that there are many medical professionals present, as well as others who have had this type of injury. This thing has been Monday-morning-quarterbacked to death, and most us agree that we've had enough of that, it's past time to move on. Dallas has had access to some of the best medical care available in the world, and she is getting better, which makes us all very happy and grateful. We all are monitoring this thread frequently for the latest reports and more good news about our (the community's) beloved little bad-ass, and THAT is what most of use would like to focus on from this point forward. So, please, no more Monday-morning-quarterbacking, it spoils the positive vibe, plus it is so old at this point. Thanks. (And I do recognize that one response was to another, but just enough already.)

Dallas, we luv ya, girl! Thanks so much to Drew, Glenn, Mrs. D., and everybody else for providing the updates. Please keep them coming. And somebody get that kid a cheeseburger, STAT!

(Message edited by dococ on October 09, 2006)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I am thrilled with the good news. Even though I only posted here on my first visit, I have been checking in and thinking positive thoughts for Dallas every day.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
watch out Rich...Doc will scold you!!!

I have been following it....now you are wrong hehehe
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
And no dessert, you naughty boys!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
dococ, socal m.o.b. = she.

glad to hear dallas is getting better!
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-09-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
"sigh-of-relief". Finally some better news.

Good luck on the long road to recovery, Dallas !
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-09-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
When Chris broke his in 04 I didn't have the advantage of having read 195+ posts detailing what could happen and what to do with a broken femur, heck at that point I'd never even heard of anyone breaking one wakeboarding!

So if some of the posts above (as redundant or inappropriate as some may find some of them) helps one other person get through or deal with this injury in a better fashion then maybe a bit more tolerance is warranted?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
doc-
Me too Joe....that is all I have wanted
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-09-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
that pic of Dallas is amazing... I only hope everyone realize how much she is important, not only for woman wakeboarding, but for wakeboarding itself... I never had the chance to meet her... but the cute young woman that she is is carrying a lot on her shoulders... she looks to be so strong and down to earth... lets hope all this will make her realize that she's missed by so many people... and that she will feel the urge to come back for more...

glad to hear you're getting better Dallas... be strong... we all have faith in you...
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Go Dallas! We are rooting for you, girl! Get well soon.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
GREAT NEWS!!!! A big second to what Jonathan said.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-11-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
How is dallas doing? Is She home yet? My whole family is pray'n for a speedy recovery for you dallas! Get well soon!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-11-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
I just heard from her mom that she'll be in Singapore for another 2 weeks. But she is recovering.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-11-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/custom/adventure/orl-bk-dallas101106,0,6330749.story?coll=orl-home-promo
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
YYYEEEAAAAHHHH DALLAS!!!!
Old     (buy_hyperlite)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-11-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Great News!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-11-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Thank God she is doing better, now all we need is to get her back HOME!
You are still in my prayers every night Dallas and family.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-11-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
Dallas...Glad to hear you are doing better. Keep your head up. You are in our thoughts.
Old     (gltr)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2006, 12:34 AM Reply   
Here is a photo of Dallas - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-10/25854553.JPG

Dallas Friday is shown recovering at a hospital in Singapore
in a photo taken Wednesday on a camera phone by her father, Robin Friday.

If you wish to send an email to Dallas, please do so at dallas@alliancewake.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-12-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
I had the opportunity to speak to Dallas last night. I can't begin to tell you how good it was to hear her voice. She was groggy and weak but in good spirits. I told her she gave us all a good scare. She really wants to come home and wanted to thank all the people for their prayers and well wishes.
Old     (tripsteve)      Join Date: Mar 2001       10-12-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Dallas, do everything the doctors tell you to heal that bone 100%. I shattered my tibia June 04 and wakeboarded (somewhat hesitantly) again in 05 and played a full season of mens quads volleyball the 05-06 season. During the fall and winter of 04 it seemed like the healing was soooo slow, but now it's just a memory and I'm back doing the things I love. Lots of TUMS for calcium and workout the arms and core to keep the blood flowing. Hope to see you in Kenosha, WI again next August!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-14-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
from alliance website.

quote:

10/12/2006 Good news out of Singapore -- Dallas Friday is talking and walking (with the help of crutches) today, after a 10-day scare following post operative complications for a broken femur. Doctors have finally removed the ventillator tube from Dallas' lung, and she is well on the road to recovery. I was talking to Lauren Loe today, who went to dinner with Emily Copeland-Durham last night, who said that Dallas called from the hospital in Singapore to thank Emily for staying with her for a few days after the accident. Emily said that Dallas' voice was raspy from having the tube down her throat for so long, but that her she was awake and aware and looking forward to coming home and starting her recovery. In fact, one of the first things Dallas asked her father upon being able to speak was, "Would you mind if I wakeboarded again?"

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-14-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Good news, thanks Joe.
I love what she said to her dad.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-14-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Great News!
Thanks everyone for the updates. This my only source for news about Dallas.
Tuff girl, after something like that I think I would hang it up or call Phantom for an airchair.
But I'm old.
Quick recovery and my best wishes Dallas and family
G
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-16-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Just another update. Dallas is on her way home today.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-16-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
AWESOME!!!! Great news.
Old     (tripsteve)      Join Date: Mar 2001       10-18-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
What does her X-ray look like?? Shattered usually implies lots of plates and screws.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-18-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-bk-dallasfriday1806oct18,0,6413601.story?coll=orl-home-promo
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-18-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
That's her mom? Whoa!! Anyway, glad she can get around without a wheelchair.
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-18-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
That is awesome to see that she is up and moving around!!....and still lookin good even on a set of crutches!! Go Dallas - Can't wait to see you ridin again!!
Old     (gltr)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Here is the full story & photos of her coming home!!!! YEAH!!!

http://girlslearntoride.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2364
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-18-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
WELCOME HOME !!!!!
Old    innov8actionsports.com            10-19-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Welcome Home Dallas!!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-19-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I got a call from Dallas this morning. She wants to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this whole crisis. Dallas said that all your kind thoughts and prayers are what made it bearable for her.She sounds great and is definatley eager to get back to riding. She thanked God for being right where she was at in Singapore and not in some of the other countries that she could have been in. They took great care of her, but she is so happy to be home surrounded by those that love her. I told her that we will continue to lift her up in our prayers and to take it easy, do what the drs say and she will be even stronger than ever. She stated time and time again to make sure to thank you all for everything.!! hugs, robyn
Old    K.B.C.            10-19-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Good to hear. Good luck with the recovery Dallas!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Welcome home, Dallas!
Old    petey20            10-31-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Anybody have an update on Dallas? How is her recovery going? Thanks
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-01-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
I have seen her on her back porch twice watching the action on the lake so she is up and about to a degree.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-01-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
STALKER!

*just playin*
Old     (boardordie)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-15-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
Any updates?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-15-2006, 5:49 AM Reply   
dallas went to the doctor last week and does not need acl surgery. she will only have surgery on her meniscus in her left knee. her femur is on the mend and the blood clots she had have absorbed back into her system. she should be back riding in about 4 months the doctor said.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-15-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
That sounds very encouraging. Thanks for the update.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-15-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
There's a picture of her at the Tige Pro-Am on crutches? Check out WW home page, she looks good.
G
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-15-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Also on the Alliance wake page, there is a link for an interview with Dallas with Travis Dopp all about what happened
http://alliancewake.com/default2.aspx?pg=article&id=373