Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    brad13            07-22-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I just ordered a 2005 Malibu V-Ride. It is apperantly the same boat as the '04 VLX minus some of the bells and whistles, however after adding MLS, The Wedge, Titan Tower, Board Racks and Wakeboard Pro it is basically identicle to the '04 VLX at a better price. My question is, what is the bow rise like on this boat and how will it ride in choppy (havasu) conditions. I could care less but the boss (wife) is curious.
Old    bobbymucic            07-22-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I've never been to Havasu, but I bought my VLX from someone who used it there a lot. He wanted to upgrade to a supercharged 26 ft boat so he could get to the party spots faster. He said it was often too choppy to ride... So I guess he wasn't happy with how it handled havasu??

I've found that my 02 vlx rides the chop much better if I keep the front MLS full. I mostly boat in smooth water (early mornings at castaic and BV), but I've done some big lake cruising at powell, and it wasn't so bad.

My wife likes the vlx ride in choppy water better than our old 19 ft i/o because the seats are thickly padded.

What is MSRP on the boat you ordered with the options?
Old    mikep            07-22-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
What is the price? I have a buddy who might be interested in the price is right. Thanks!
Old    brad13            07-22-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input Bobby. Malibu is running a special right now. Base price is $38k and some change without options. We added the following:
MLS
Wedge
Titan Tower
Board Racks
Bimini
Boat Cover
Wakeboard Pro
Cost was just south of $45k before tax and liscence
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
now I am definitely not worried about selling my 03 at if the v's are running that price
Old    mb_girl            07-22-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
That's what I keep saying - by the time that you add all of the things that a VLX comes standard with, you're in the same price territory. Plus, the V-Ride is not identical to the VLX, even when outfitted with the same options. Things like the vinyl patterns & the windshield are different/cheaper on the V-Ride, to name a couple. Now the '05 VLX's price point will be a bit higher, so as to not interfere with the V-Ride, but I'd be grabbing a leftover '04 VLX at that kind of pricing.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
I thought the tower was standard? I priced out what looks to be the same boat minus the bimini and was right near 40k before tax,etc. (i had the monsoon engine in it) but I think i am going to get the new vlx instead.
Old    brad13            07-22-2004, 7:38 PM Reply   
Wkert, What are you getting quoted for the '05 VLX? I'm being told 55k out the door with all the goodies.
Old    brad13            07-22-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
mb girl, What exactly are you hearing about the differences with these boats. My dealer has stated that the only difference other than options are the v-ride does not have a stainless rub rail, it has a two piece windshield instead of a one piece and the steering wheel does not have the chrome. Everything else is suposed to be the same. Vinyl included. As far as you know is this true or am I being mislead. I did order this but I can always change the order. I don't want to be dissapointed with it.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
I was quoted "around 50k" nicely equiped (monsoon, solid hull, pull up cleats, docking lights, carpet insert, pop-up bow light, perfect pass, stainless tower, and a few other options), but I am meeting to get a better quote this weekend. I think once i upgrade the motor to the hammerhead, add tower speakers, etc i will be at 55.
Old    mb_girl            07-22-2004, 9:21 PM Reply   
Brad,
It is possible that I was mislead, but I've been lead to believe that the V-Ride & I-Ride will both be exactly the same as the current ('04) Wakesetter DD, which is exactly as you described with the exception of the vinyl issue (current Wakesetter DD has different vinyl patterns than the VLX - the VLX's is much nicer looking IMHO). If your dealer is telling you straight up that it's the same as the VLX, then it's more than possible that I've got some bad info & I apologize for that.

Options are a different story though. I still think that an '04 VLX would be the way to go, if you can find one.

wkerat,
Is that an '05 VLX that you're talking about? Have you driven one with the new 383 Hammerhead?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 4:49 AM Reply   
my dealer e-mailed me some pictures of the v-ride and it is supposed to be very similar to the current wakesetter minus the windsheild, bow rails and perhaps some netting on the walkthrough. He also told me it has 16oz carpet standard but you can get the upgraded carpet for a minor amount...Yeah I am talking 05 vlx. I have not boarded it yet, but should in the very near future (as soon as they get one in, lol)
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-23-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
I got a peak at a V ride yesterday, and it looks exactly like a 2002 VLX on the outside. No stainless rub or thru hull fittings. Two piece windshield. Ugly a$$ graphics. Slightly diff gel pattern, not two straight stripes but more like the Sunsetter where upper stipe curves down.

The interior vinyl really did not inpress me at all. Its got a real funky pattern in to the interior. Not clean like the 02 and 03 VLXs. Its more like the 03 DD wakesetter. The actual material did not seem as soft and the carpet looked cheaper. The dash looked exactly like the 02 and 03's.

Overall, its not a nice as an 02 or 03, but I think it will def. put a dent in the resale value of those boats. It is still a real nice boat, just not a nice and stylish as the 03.

As far as the how that boat will ride at Havasu it wont be fun dodging all the penis boat wakes.

(Message edited by sdub on July 23, 2004)
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
FYI, the resale value for a VLX will never be poor and the dealers make sure of that. They purposely up the prices of the new boats every year to make your trade in 'seem' like it's worth a lot.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-23-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
exactly tuneman, I have quite a few bites at 41k. Will drop more if I don't keep till next spring, I will check trade in, if not I will have two wakesetters for a while.
Old    ilovetrains            07-23-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
55K for an 05 VLX? The local dealer qouted 53K for the 05 LSV with every option except HH and the biggest stereo upgrade, Illusion tower. I thought that was not a very good deal (could have gotten same thing on 04 out of his stock before sold for 46). Maybe his price is better than I thought.
Old    bobbymucic            07-23-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
Malibu discounts from MSRP varies greatly by dealer and region. From my experience, both southern california dealers don't discount as much as other areas of the country.

If you live in southern california, the best deal is to buy a used boat from someone out of state. I know a few people who have done that and gotten steals (compared to the local used boat market).
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
The vlx i priced started around 45k, but by the time i loaded it up it was 54 and some change. A really nicely equiped one with the hammerhead will run high 40's here (northeast), but if you load em they jump up. From what i saw they run around 5000 more than an 04 vlx comparably equiped
Old    brad13            07-23-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
So now you all have me a little nervous. My local dealer only has one '04 VLX left and I am not crazy about the color scheme let alone the fact that it has been sitting on the lot in the sun uncovered for what looks like months. Mabey I should suck it up and fork out for the '05 VLX. Gonna be hard to stomach the extra 8+ grand though.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
Here is the picture of the v-ride my dealer sent me:
v-ride
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Here are some interior shots he sent me as well:
v-ride interior
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   

v-ride interior 2
Old    brad13            07-23-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics. You can still order the tribal graphics for the v-ride. It's an xtra $300.00. Not to stocked on the color cheme/design. I ordered mine solid black from the rub rail down.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
my dealer said they were gonna order one like that, i did one on their computer with no lower color, just a blue upper and no deck graphics and it looked cool. i am leaning towards the vlx right now, i just want to get in one when my dealers arrives, his has the monsoon, which i have in my current boat, so if it still works well with that i may stick with it since the hammerhead upcharge is something like 3000. I have some vlx pictures too, lets see if i can get one or two on here. i don't think you can tell from the pictures but supposedly the "new" tattoo is somewhat transparent...
interior
exterior