Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    blindsiderider            09-25-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
I was just wondering how fast a person should be learning new tricks? I am 14 and I started Wakeboarding in May of this year(03). I have learned most wake to wake grabs H/S and T/S 180s across wake H/S and T/S and I have pretty well mastered the H/S tantrum H/S backroll H/S 360 and I have Finally landed the airraley The last two times out. But now it seems like I need instruction on what tricks to work on next. So I am kind of curious at what pace do most riders learn new tricks. I go out at least 5 if not more times a week thanbks to my dad who says that I am picking this up fast. but he is bias so i want to know what pace others learn at.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-25-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
you seem to be learning very fast... try combining some of your ticks.. tantrum and a 180 (i'm not the greatest with trick names) or backroll with a 180... stuff like that.. try a 540... There are many more ticks you can do...
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
It sounds like you're improving at a good rate, however, it also sounds like your real strengths lie entirely in your regular stance heelside edge. Learn all your inverts switch and start doing the basic toeside inverts, such as front rolls, back rolls & scarecrows.
Old    blindsiderider            09-25-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
Hey Thanks Matt we went out this evening and it took me 3 trys to land the T/S frontroll after that I had no problem with it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-25-2003, 9:30 PM Reply   
I'd say you're learning REALLY fast, I've been riding for three years and am still working on grabs... however I only get out once a week if I'm lucky. I'd say pick up an instructional like Detention or Higher Education and keep power housing through it, who knows maybe we'll see ya on the pro tour someday . Anway, good luck and HAVE FUN!!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
That's great Tony! Scarecrows are even easier than front rolls. Do a front roll and then pull your handle into your back hip and look at the boat on the landing. It sounds like you'll stick it tonight.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-26-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
I think one of his advantages is that he is 14 and still indestructible. A fairly serious injury in life (most athletes have had one or two by the time they are 30) will throw a reality check into just how much risk you want to take. I wish I was 14 again haha.

Seriously though, you are progressing very rapidly (5 days per week will do that).
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-26-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
i wanna go 5 days per week
Old    blindsiderider            09-26-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
Well I have had a few injuries. last time I counted all the stiches to the head I have had I was up to 72 I broke my clavical 2 years ago and broke my wrist 5 years ago and have been knocked out with a concussion racing BMX but you are right my dad says "youth is a wonderful thing" but I have always been a bit fearless it drives my MOM nuts
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Tony. You sound like a natural. I hate you. Just kidding!

I'd bet an instructor could teach you a lot. You should check out a Wakeboard camp.