Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       09-27-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Anyone got the live feed up and running. I can't seem to find it.

http://www.thecwsa.org/content/world...g-championship
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-27-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Go to the site you listed and click on the cwsa block at top it's on now.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-27-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
or here for full screen capabilities http://men.metacafe.com/loop/live-sp...championships/
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Who's the drunk guy on the mic? (Not Keenan)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
I don't know who he is, but I can't handle listening to him.
Todd is doing a great job though. He keeps it really fun.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-27-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Wave looks washy to me?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-27-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Wave looks washy to me?
You and I must be watching different events. The wave James Walker just rode was clean/big/long/heavy.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-27-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
Ok looks clean now with james surfing.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-27-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
How do they get that wave to go away so fast after the rider stops? On my MB, when I stop, if I try to turn around like they are on that Centurion I would run into my wave. Is it because they are on a river and the wave disperses faster? My wave also seems to keep going, after I stop and wait for the wave to pass me, then turn around, I can see my wave keep going for a while across the lake.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-27-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
I've seen them chili dip it a few times today,also it doesn't hurt that they are 24' boats.
Old    surfdad            09-27-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
There are some weeds on the far west of the course, the first pass start side, literally 3 feet from the surface. The wake is rather diminished for everyone, out about 1/2 way to the first marker, which would be the 3/4 marker coming back.

I overheard the organizers talking about changing the path the boats take tomorrow out futher towards the bouys to get away from the weeds. But further down the course, the wake seemed to shape fine, maybe that's the difference that folks were seeing?

Some pictures from the days happenings.
Attached Images

Old     (lemonhead)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-27-2012, 11:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics, how is the scene? I live in PHX and may try to drive up even though I don't have the boat.
Old    surfdad            09-28-2012, 4:16 AM Reply   
The riding is great. Today will be prelims for the outlaw divisions and semi's for the pro's. There are vendor booths from several manufacturers, Mendonesia, Soulcraft and P5 that I remember and everyone gathered under at cantina for the shade. Worth the drive, IMO.
Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       09-28-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
The history of wakesurfing is posted up now, they showed this video on the 1st night that everyone was at worlds.

http://youtu.be/KWYZf3A7aas

alot of re-purposed footage but still good to see the long boards out behind the old outboard ski boats.
Old     (lemonhead)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-28-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
The riding is great. Today will be prelims for the outlaw divisions and semi's for the pro's. There are vendor booths from several manufacturers, Mendonesia, Soulcraft and P5 that I remember and everyone gathered under at cantina for the shade. Worth the drive, IMO.
I think I'm going up tomorrow morning and bringing a bit of camera gear. Think I'd have any chance of getting a ride on a towboat and getting some shots to put up here on wakeworld?
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairJ View Post
Who's the drunk guy on the mic? (Not Keenan)
That would be Brian Allred. Painful, isn't it?
Old     (lemonhead)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-28-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Also I can't seem to find when riding starts tomorrow and approx when the men's finals would start. Anyone know?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-28-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
I sure Jeff Walker will pop on here later after the event is done today and let you know.
Old    surfdad            09-28-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
@ lemonhead - getting on the camera boat seems to be no biggee, check in with Shell at the far end of the Catina, she'll get you a pass. I saw a few folks get access without much effort.

I don't think they've published the actual schedule for tomorrow, but roughly: The pro finals are going last. They plan to start around 8:30 and there should be 20 riders in the outlaws before the pros which if I am calculating right, puts the pros around lunch time.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
I have been to plenty of events and have seen my share of great wakesurfing. Dominic's Hurricane and Keenan's 540 shuv at the Northwest this year was one of my highlights. Noah almost winning his brother Keenan at MyWake was another.

All of that pale's in comparison to the surf run that I saw Keenan Flegel do on the first day. I hope that run is shown later or I hope he matches it or tops it in the finals so everyone can see that run. Shuvs, big spin, stuff I can't even name, it was all in there and the control and amplitude was amazing. Don't get me wrong, there was lots of great surfing, and his skim run was also amazing. He did this new Blind Drifter that was so cool among other things.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from other riders who surfed great but I don't think anyone will contest that Keenan took the old bar that was set for Pro Men's surf, broke it over his knee and threw it in the river.

I can't wait to see the finals tomorrow I am thoroughly enjoying being a pure spectator. The weather is much cooler than last year, Centurion and Todd G. and company are throwing a fantastic event and the broadcast is top notch.

If you are not at this event, make some popcorn, sit at your computer or shoot it to your TV and watch. Don't do chores, don't even go out on the lake. Leave the lawnmower in the garage have a friend take your kid to his football or soccer game and watch the finals live, I don't think you will regret it. You may see the Man-Child take the podium for surf and skim.

There is also this other fiery red-headed man-child nippin at his heels...
Old    surfdad            09-29-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
Some pictures from day 2, check out the best SUP ever!
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            09-29-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
Schedule for today, they've been running within 10 minutes of the published schedule both prior days.
Attached Images

Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-29-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
why are they replaying stuff from yesterday?!!?!?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-29-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
The resort had internet problems refresh your browser it is live
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-29-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Wow, I guess they are having trouble again. Just beginning pro finals too
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-29-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
I watched the whole thing with my own eyes, and I have to say: Ashley Kidd and Chase Hazen got screwed. And I'm guessing it's because they both ride for Tige. Just Sayin'
Old     (lemonhead)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-29-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
A few pics from today
Attached Images

Old     (krt)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-29-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnate View Post
I watched the whole thing with my own eyes, and I have to say: Ashley Kidd and Chase Hazen got screwed. And I'm guessing it's because they both ride for Tige. Just Sayin'
funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-29-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
Parker, AZ
Surf Died today.
9-29-2012
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2012, 12:33 AM Reply   
Wow, there was a lot of great surfing and a few riders that just did not have their best days. CKJr did a new trick, and we named it over a cigar. Its a stale fish grab air while sticking/kicking out his back leg, it was VERY cool. I came up with "FishStick" but CKJr spun that to FishKick and it stuck, very cool. I hope there will be some video of CKJr executing it.

But nothing compared to seeing Chase do his river dance, but he did it different, and so I don't think the judges called it a river dance, but not exactly sure. Anyway, the river dance is where he does a 180 shuv and rides that revert for a second then does a backside 180 out so he is riding switch, and then does a body varial. I have seen him do this before, but he usually lands it a bit wobbly or falls out before the body variel, or just misses it, etc. This time, he landed it FLAWLESSLY, it was amazing! The only thing is that he didn't do the 180 shuv first, he did something even more INSANE. He brings the board up and does like a Passion pop but GRABS the board with both hands while bringing the board around 180 underneath him. DUDE, it was insane. It was my personal favorite moment of the event, and not just because I love that kid. ;-)

Here is a passion pop, so you can see it, and chase did it with his signature HUGE air. So imagine this below, but with the double grab, landed FLAWLESSLY behind the boat.

OK, I just found a video, this is EXACTLY what chase did behind the boat, a PASSION POP.

He did that BEHIND A BOAT! Hat's off to you chase, even if you never land it again, but I am sure you will. That was amazing.

Lots of other great stuff, Little Chris Wolter had a great run, Aaron Witherall, fun stuff. Still can't get over that Passion Pop though.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-30-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
His river dance?In his post run interview he said it was a passion pop and he doesn't know what a river dance is.Guess he's never seen that Irish dance troupe.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-30-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
X 3 guess he might have one if he was riding an inland surfer just sayin
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-30-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
There is actually a points system now. From my understanding there is a list of tricks and each trick has a certain number of points (Robert can you comment on how it works). So its not as subjective as it use to be.

With that said, just based on what I watched,
1. I actually thought Noah Flegel had the best skim run
2. I thought Keenan Flegel had the best surf run based on how points are scored. With that said, I did not think any of the top guys had their best day. Chase put down the sickest trick, but the rest of his run was average. I actually really liked how both the Chris kids road yesterday. They both were flying. Reality is that the scoring system now favors the combo tricks and the spins. I personally dont like the fact that the surf style looks more and more like the skim style just with a different board. So I like the way Chase/Chris K/Chris W ride.

BTW: I can't imagine anybody has progressed over the last few years has faster than Chris W. He has so much amplitude on all his tricks. Give him another year of riding and he is going to be one of the riders to beat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
@JayT I think he was messing around. He has been working on the trick the "River Dance" for a while and there is a video by slayshtank somewhere that shows him landing it, from a year or more ago, I actually inlay that video during the interview we did with him at the beginning of the season and we discuss in the interview.

He added the double grab which makes it the passion pop. But it doesn't matter what it is called, no matter what, it was SICK and stylish.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
There is actually a points system now. From my understanding there is a list of tricks and each trick has a certain number of points (Robert can you comment on how it works). So its not as subjective as it use to be.

With that said, just based on what I watched,
1. I actually thought Noah Flegel had the best skim run
2. I thought Keenan Flegel had the best surf run based on how points are scored. With that said, I did not think any of the top guys had their best day. Chase put down the sickest trick, but the rest of his run was average. I actually really liked how both the Chris kids road yesterday. They both were flying. Reality is that the scoring system now favors the combo tricks and the spins. I personally dont like the fact that the surf style looks more and more like the skim style just with a different board. So I like the way Chase/Chris K/Chris W ride.

BTW: I can't imagine anybody has progressed over the last few years has faster than Chris W. He has so much amplitude on all his tricks. Give him another year of riding and he is going to be one of the riders to beat.
The rules should be posted on http://www.thecwsa.org . Beware, they are a bit complicated. ;-)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-30-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
I knew those NFL replacement refs would show up somewhere else! DOH!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2012, 11:32 PM Reply   
OK, so I have to make a correction. Surprise, right? During the event, lots of great stuff like I said before but I missed this moment. It was very hard to hear in the Cantina so I didn't catch it until I got in.

True class and sportsmanship in my book and what a great example to all the riders coming after him. No "the sun was in my eyes" or any whining, just gracious acceptance of defeat.

Visit their website at http://flegelbros.com/
Old    surfdad            10-01-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
Podium pictures...so good to be back where I have internet!
Attached Images

Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-01-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
They posted the scores for the events, should shed some light on how and why people ranked were they did. first score is the trick points and second score is the total from the three judges. It was very interesting to see how close i was to loosing out, but i will take what i can get. 1st place mens outlaw surf!

go to www.thecwsa.org to see the results for each of the catagories
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
They posted the scores for the events, should shed some light on how and why people ranked were they did. first score is the trick points and second score is the total from the three judges. It was very interesting to see how close i was to loosing out, but i will take what i can get. 1st place mens outlaw surf!

go to www.thecwsa.org to see the results for each of the catagories
That is nice that they published the scores. It is interesting to see the judge scores between Keenan/James/Chase are close but its the trick points that hurt Chase the most. Same can be said for Ashley. That is kinda surprising given that fact that riders/judges supposedly know how much each trick is worth. You would think they would create their rides accordingly. I would have thought is would have been the judges scores (subjective score) that would have set them apart.

Do the riders provide the judges a trick list (ie. a list of trick they are going to put down in their run). I would think that would be helpful.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
BTW: if you did not see the trick Chase put down, it was insane. Maybe Robert can add the video of it. I would, but my 7 year old is more tech savy than I am.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-01-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
That is nice that they published the scores. It is interesting to see the judge scores between Keenan/James/Chase are close but its the trick points that hurt Chase the most. Same can be said for Ashley. That is kinda surprising given that fact that riders/judges supposedly know how much each trick is worth. You would think they would create their rides accordingly. I would have thought is would have been the judges scores (subjective score) that would have set them apart.

Do the riders provide the judges a trick list (ie. a list of trick they are going to put down in their run). I would think that would be helpful.
If you watch ashley's ride online you will see her try a few air reverses at the end of her run and miss them. had she only hit one air180 a relatively easy trick she would have won. Being there to see Raleigh win was the coolest thing ever.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
The rules should be posted on http://www.thecwsa.org . Beware, they are a bit complicated. ;-)
Thanks. Maybe a bit complicated, but it should definitely give the riders/judges a good understanding of what the different tricks are worth. I would think this is much better than it being completely up to the judges (ie: subjective)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
I just noticed that you can watch all of the runs here:

http://men.metacafe.com/loop/live-sp...championships/
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
Knowing how to put a run together to get the max points possible
out of your run can be the difference between winning and losing
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
I think every contest should show the results (points scored by each) It would give some of us a new perspective on what we (amateurs) would need to improve on scoring wise. Seems like the results always show the podium winners and thats it. I personally would like to see I finished last out of 12 riders, rather then not knowing where I stand with the others. Since I haven't ever been on the podium, I always tell my buddys I finished fourth. HaHa! Next year I'm coming strong!! I'm really going to be pushing myself in the off season this year!!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
I think every contest should show the results (points scored by each) It would give some of us a new perspective on what we (amateurs) would need to improve on scoring wise. Seems like the results always show the podium winners and thats it. I personally would like to see I finished last out of 12 riders, rather then not knowing where I stand with the others. Since I haven't ever been on the podium, I always tell my buddys I finished fourth. HaHa! Next year I'm coming strong!! I'm really going to be pushing myself in the off season this year!!
Make it happen! It would be awesome to see ya there
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
BTW: if you did not see the trick Chase put down, it was insane. Maybe Robert can add the video of it. I would, but my 7 year old is more tech savy than I am.
I could, but I think the WWSC should be the one posting that stuff. It really was insane.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
The Event was Awesome beyond Awesome!! Todd and Everybody that was Associated with the Event Deserve more Recognition and Grace then probably can ever be Imagined!!

I am so proud of my Son Chris as he Really Left his Mark on and in this Competition!! Overall he rode to the Very Best of His Abilities!! He didn't even get to ride for 9 days before the Competition and practice as Tuesday was his first time back in the water!!

I am also so Happy and Stoked for the Mendonesia Surf Family!! They brought Energy and Enthusiasm and Product and Love!! You could almost say they " Stole the Show " !!

Their Boards were so Completely Insane and if you never got to see the Woody Longboard you truly missed a piece of functional Art!!

Lastly its all about the Surfers .... the Competitors ..... the Families .... and Everybody and Anybody that Attended the Event!! Great People with Great Attitudes and the Friendliest anywhere ......
Make For an Incredible Event!! God Bless Them All!!

Who's Got It Better Then Us ........ NoBody!!!!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-02-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Here is a great recap of Worlds. Has a video and all of the scores by rider. I believe that sick trick by Chase is at the 1:50 mark.

http://slayshtank.com/2012/10/2012-w...d-recap-video/
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2012, 10:49 PM Reply