Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-07-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
I will be working on Inverts this summer.........anyone have a bad experience wearing a helmet boat riding?

what was your first invert? I know it really all depends on what your comfortable with....but just a little survey

and lastly ......amplifier install.......any tips on keeping temperature controlled? thin peace of brass placed on bottom of amp is all i got.....

Thanks guys....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
Helmet: if you're not riding rails avoid the helmet

First invert: HS backroll --- now that I've got a handful in my bag of tricks it is not the easiest, but learning they are pretty simple.

Amps: ours are mounted to the right of the driver's seat..... so there is a fair amount of airflow and it is still protected
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-08-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
Id agree with Nick. Probably avoid the helmet. My first few backrolls resulted in me under rotating which made my board nose dive and by a whiplash kinda effect my face smacked the water chin 1st. I'd hate to think how much worse it would be if i were wearing a helmet which could have acted as a cup, potentially pulling my head back further and harder.
That being said although my 1st invert was a backroll, I found tantrums far easier to learn and get consistant.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-08-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
Disagree with above. Wear a helmet that fits correctly and it will make the learning curve less painfull and might keep you from a trip to the ER for staples in your dome from the board hitting you. Regarding amps, there isnt any more airflow on either passenger or driver compartment. It just depends on room. Most have more room at right/passenger side. Mine are on the drivers side because I like short RCA runs myself, and my sub is in the passenger compartment because I dont want to pound my dash and guages. Heelside Backroll or Tantrum or Toeside Frontroll for first invert depending on what you're comfortable with. Ive had several concussions while not wearing a helmet and none with.
Old     (patrickgoettig)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-08-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
search for helmet. You will see hundreds of threads about the pros and cons of both. Personally, I never have worn one behind the boat, but I plan to this year.
The benefits of protection and confidence outweigh the possible negatives. A lot of people say that A helmet will increase the surface area of your head and when you hit the water the increased surface area will cause an increase in how fast you head goes from moving to standing still resulting in more concussions.

I don't think this is true. You would have to wear something the size of a sombrero to cause any measurable effect of this kind. If your helmet fits properly, the foam will do more impact absorption than increasing surface area.

In short, wear a helmet. It will make you feel more secure and maybe even be the difference between you psyching yourself out and crashing vs. letting go and landing it.

I also have a son on the way, and something like that kinda makes you realign your priorities ya know?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
i wont ride with out a helmet. blew my eardrum put last year. and ive seen too many concussions without. i insist everyone wear one who rides behind my boat except my pro friends