Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I need help. I am thinking of purchasing the new 2010 Epic Wake Board Boat. I talked to Gary Smith who is their VP of sales and marketing and he is just a awesome guy. I am looking at the 23V 2010. I just can't find too many out there. Can anyone tell me their thoughts? I just love the boat just want to have more opinions. Thanks
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
I had a 2009. Sold it because a baby is on the way. Loved it! Never a need for additional ballast. Just flip the switches and ride. The rubber flooring should be standard on all wakeboard boats. The driving performance is amazing for a 23 foot V-drive.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Ah thank you, its odd, cuz I am in the Midwest (Indiana) and no one has ever heard of them. My buddy just dogged me out when I told him that was what I wanted. So, to hear just one other person even say they loved theirs helps a ton. I hope I get more posts here in the coming days so I can buy one.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Ask your buddy where he heard anything bad about an Epic? Does he think it's one of the old Toyota Epic's? Because they were awesome boats too, just old by todays standards.

I'm in Milwaukee, WI. If you and your misinformed buddy want to come up for a day, I'd be happy to take you out and more importantly, shut him up.

I can run down the list of spec's on this boat, but I'm sure you know all about it. I will say this, 4000# under the floor, 8.1L gets you up to speed almost instantly, and I'd like to say the duel rudders make it turn on a dime, but that would be to slow, even with the weight in it.

This thing really is something to see. And no, I'm not a dealer, in fact, there is no dealer around here. I ordered mine from Billy in NC. (great guy by the way)

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks man!....Anyway I can call you? Talk a second. Just got off the phone with Gary at Epic. (he is one of the 3 owners) I am going to order one I think. How did you get orange? They don't even make and orange boat that is sick looking. Can you throw up a few pictures of the interior. I would love to a good picture of the entire interior. Epic site doesn't have a good one. Thanks man!!

ALso would love to chat.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Anyone else out there?
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-19-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776294

Some good reading. Epic is on my short list as well along with MB. I would pull the trigger on either if I could sell some real estate.

-J
Old     (amaclaren)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
i have heard a lot of good things about Epic's wake and comfort but i also know someone who had one and he just couldnt keep it on the water because it was always breaking down. I would do a good amount of research and try and talk to someone who has owned one for more than just one year. but i have heard the wake is insane GOOD LUCK
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Andrew, what year was your friends Epic? What were some of the problems he had? The reason I ask is, the Epic's used to be made in Canada. I guess they had a lot of problems, so they started making them at Fineline in CA. I'll admit, I haven't been able to put a lot of hours on mine yet. But over the winter, I went over this boat with a fine tooth comb. The way everything is built now is very impressive. Not to mention, the Mercury engine, and ZF tranny are bullet proof.

Like I said, I would love to hear about any problems. Just so I can watch for them and maybe catch them before they're a problem for me.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-19-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Absolutely love my epic, Its everything our xtar never was. All of the guys at epic are super nice and know what their doing. Try and get a hold of whoever owns mastercraft, good luck haha. The company is small but they have their heads in the right place for sure. Great people to deal with and great guys in general. Heres our epic.
Attached Images

Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-19-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Can't speak about the maintenance side, but I've ridden two 23V's. Wakeboard wake was nice with the stock tanks filled and 4 or 5 people. Wakesurf wake gets pretty tall and steep, but its a nice one too. The factory sound system works great for the rider, but you'll probably want to do something about the interior speakers. Upgraded all the way around sounds even better. Boat handled great like everyone mentioned above and it had great throttle response. Personally I like the toned down interior, much more friendly to those who are out on water alot. As for the orange color, one I rode was orange, but it was also a rep's demo boat. I would imagine you could get orange if you want though.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
The black above is exactly what I am getting, can't wait to post a picture. I talked to Epic again, and they are actually producing the 2011 version now. So I will be getting title to a 2011. Delivered in 3 weeks. Black, and I am even having them to a little custom interior work, so I will have a bit different than stock. Thought about the wrap too, but will wait on that. Will post when it arrives. Thanks for all the heads up. Anyone who owns one, do you know is there a thread or place for just EPIC owners to talk? Hey Twitch and Joe, where you from? Indiana here, if you are ever in the area look me up we can head out and ride.

Thanks for all the feedback this has been the best place to find out more about these boats. I look forward to this thread growing in number of guys who own one posting.

Last edited by ScottRobinson; 04-19-2010 at 5:57 PM. Reason: adding
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Do a search for Epic. There's a ton of threads on just epic.

Also, www.epicboatowers.com
That site is newer, so there's not much on there yet.

Check you e-mail, I sent you my number. Call me tonight if you get a chance.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
Hey just checked my email, nothing.... anyway hit me up....
Scott.robinson.nysq@statefarm.com

comes to the phone will shoot you a call
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hey check you email on this site, sent you IM on here and email on here....
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
Wind dam, trailer extreme with led lighting, cooler issues with drain, wake surf rack, guide pole pads
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, thanks for the call man! I went and read your post on all your "mods" and wow you have done alot in one winter. I will keep you posted if the 2011 have some of those same things that need fixed. The cooler issue is a must I would say. Can't wait now to get mine, and start tweaking just to make it mine. Lets keep this thread going for others who own one to join. I think your other post tried to be that and ended in a mod post.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-19-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
"Does he think it's one of the old Toyota Epic's? Because they were awesome boats too, just old by todays standards."

You're right, they are awesome, but they are not really old by today's standards. True to Toyota, the fit and finish was way ahead of it's time. My boat's 10 years old but it will compare favorably with almost any boat made today. You'd be impressed.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
I also love my Epic. I got it last August so I have not logged too many hours with it yet, but thus far I absolutely love it. My fiance can't stand sitting in boats filled with fat sacs. No room to walk, no room to sit, etc, etc. This one can take on more water than a boat packed full of sacks and lose zero space. Its all under the floor, leaving you with huge compartments to put your gear and towels and eats, and beverage in. Just an awesome boat, and a wake that will put many to shame.

I got mine from Billy Smith at www.smithsenterprise.com. He is out of NC. Same place Joe got his at. I would not hesitate to buy from him again even though he is halfway across the country. I am located in Minnesota so I was a tad skeptical about warranty work etc with there being no dealer here in the state. I can say though that it has been a pleasant experience thus far dealing with Epic (specifically Greg Smith). Great company, great boat, 'nuff said!

I am replacing the stock audio(which is no slouch) with a bunch of Wet Sounds products.
16 XS-650 component speakers
1 XS-XXX sub
1 kicker S12L7 sub(replaced the factory S12L5 sub built into the side of the boat)
2 SYN4 amps to power the speakers at 100 watts each
1 SYN1 amp to power each sub at 500 watts each

The audio was my only complaint, and I wouldn't even call it a complaint. Just needed a little boost.

Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Lakeski....
No its the new EPIC company not the old Toyota. I know those are still around some, but not being built. Not what we were talking about. Thanks for the post though, you must like your boat to post, so that is cool.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
Nic, nice man!! Yeah just talked to Joe on the phone, he said exact thing about guy in NC. I know, right now I can't believe how great they are treating me at EPIC. Gary Smith has talked to me about 6 times in the last 4 days. They just do things right it seems, not only with their boats but with their clients. So, tomorrow I will call again and order. I hope to get to talk to Greg Smith (wonder if they are brothers, Gary and Greg) anyway, thanks for the post. I know its only a few guys saying how great these rides are, but it has really helped me to see that the company and the boat are top notch.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Thanks! It's not a game either. I still get treated the same way even long after I have purchased. Great customer service.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-19-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Like I said, those guys are great. We went down there and got a factory tour and they took me wake surfing too. It was a blast. Just to get an idea of where they have their heads at; The guy who started epic, Chris Anthony, designed the Aptera 300mpg rain-drop style car. Its pretty cool and very innovative.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-20-2010, 4:51 AM Reply   
Scott, I'm with you. Joe made a quick comment about the Toyota's up top, so that's what I was responding to. I'd like to see a new Epic, as well.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, I sent you a message on here.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
Yeah got it Nic, thanks man!
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Scott- just sent you an email, give me a call if you want...We LOVE our Epic
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hey ICE, have you run much since putting on your FAE? Any troubles with it at all?
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Might sound dumb, what is FAE?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Welcome to the Epic Family Scott.

We are an Epic Dealer in Texas.

If you have any questions call me at the shop any time.

Jeff

Innov8 Wake

817-573-0558
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Scott,

FAE is

www.freshairexhaust.com/
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Scott-
FAE is Fresh Air Exhaust (see attached pic). Instead of your exhaust and noise coming straight out the back of the boat, the FAE takes the noise and exhaust and pushes it down into the water. On the 8.1l beasts It makes a huge difference in noise and fumes. They should come stock from the Epic factory in my opinion.

Nitty-
The only problems I have had were during the fab and install. Larry from FAE didnt have the measurements for the Epic so mine was the first one he actually got measurements on. A few things that we had to change or re-do after his first shipment of supplies were- to lengthen the all-thread and stainless tubing about an inch or so. Also, after trying a few different sizes and lengths of screws to mount the flanges to the stainless trim rings we ended up using bolts and nuts instead of screwing it into the fiberglass, the screws would come out once you got in the water and water force and pressure pulled against it. Other than getting the original install dialed in and corrected, we've had no issues at all. It was a learning process for both myself and Larry @ FAE, but he was very helpful the entire time. I did notice this weekend that the paint on the inside of the tube is flaking off, but no flaking on the outside yet, know on wood....
Attached Images

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
....knock on wood. not know on wood
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-20-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
We have the EPIC 23V and love it. No major issues at all and the set up and clean up are so easy.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I had one when I was a small dealer. Great boat! I believe we put about 100 problem free hours on it. Some lucky guy in Texas has it now.
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
Nice, not into skulls really, but love the wrap just having something different. That is sick boat. (My 6yr old son would love it, wife not so much...lol)
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-20-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Lakeski, I'd like to apologize for my hasty post. I know the Toyota Epic's were way, way ahead of their time. Every time I talk to someone about them, I make that point very clear. I don't know what I was thinking with that post. In fact, most of todays boats are just now catching up with Toyota. Sometimes I wonder how much farther advanced wakeboats would be, if they were still in the game.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Hey all, ordered today !!! Anyway talked to Gary about some of the things that I have talked to Joe and ICE about.
1. Wind Dam - they haven't done anything partly because they have seen alot of people making their own
2. No Seat filler for bow yet, not on drawing board but they know the industry has it and people want it, so may not be long
3. Went back to Pacific trailers

Anyway he was awesome as always. EPIC is just such an amazing couple to work with. AMAZING. To anyone out there looking for a boat, hit me up, Call Epic. Just awesome!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-20-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
Sweet! Your going to love it! Now you just have to try to find a way to sleep until you get it. I know I couldn't, I was so excited. I was a wreck by the end of the week.

I'm glad you asked about the filler for the bow. I forgot to mention that yesterday.

Did you ask about the cooler drain? What did he say about an extra drain in the hull right there?
Old    ScottRobinson            04-21-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Forgot about the drain issue. Talked to ICE as well on the phone and he said that is issue. Damn forgot, but I would bet they haven't done anything about it. I will being doing the FAE right away along with the wind dam right away. May even order those things and have them ready at the house for first day, prior to even dropping in water. We'll see. May see if I can ship FAE to EPIC to have them put on. Gary did say that they have done a few FAEs so maybe I can have the pro's put it on. We'll see. Yeah, sleep is issue. I spend all day on here, all night at home searching EPIC stuff. Nutz! I need a life. Glad I own my own business, otherwise I would fire myself since I don't get anything done all damn day! lol
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Guys-

As far as the drain issue in the cooler, I have defaulted to a manual cordless hand bilge pump that works surprisingly well. Here is a link to the pump that I have. You will want to purchase a longer hose form a hardware or automotive store with an fitting that can connect to the current hose fitting that is on the pump (ours is 20ft, but I think you can get away with 15ft or so). I previously tried using a tsunami pump and it primed ok, but didn't quite have enough 'umph' to get the water from the bottom of the cooler up over the side of the boat, plus, because of the shape of the bottom of the cooler, it wasn't the best option.

So for the price, the following pump is what we have and it has worked well the 3 times we have used it this season. I just store it in the same wet/dry bag that our tube pump is in and call it good. There were a few other ideas that my dealer had (permanent autobilge pump in the cooler, bilge pump i the cooler with on/off switch) but they were $300-$400 solutions, this pump will do just fine. FYI- I have not used it enough to know how long the 'D' batteries last, so that may be an issue of burning through 'D' batteries?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0051&langId=-1
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-21-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
I'm not messing with a pump. That's way to much b/s. I'm punching a hole in the bottom of the boat, and putting a drain in there. I can't even begin to imagine why they didn't do that at the factory. I bet it drains fine when it's in the water. It's probably just the way it sits on the trailer.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-22-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I thought I had gotten all of the water out of the cooler before storing the boat. Well i guess there was a ton of water and beer still behind the clear screw on lid and I couldnt tell. Got it outta storage and it was all nasty. Smelled like something had died in there. Bleach and scrubbing finally clean. What is the point of this clear cover, and how did water and beer get into it. The drain in the cooler actually drains water from the back of the boat to the cooler when on level ground or in the water??? WTF... that is the only complaint I have found. I used a wet/dry vac to suck the water out. Below are some pictures. I live near Gary and he is a great guy. He is in some of the pictures below if I can figure out how to post them.

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-22-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Sam I will post some pics for you.
Attached Images

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Joe- My dealer and I talked about drilling a drain hole in bottom of the cooler, but he kindly reminded me that it will void the hull warranty. I would love to have a drain hole in there as well, but this pump is the lesser of the 3-4 evils.

I used a wet/dry vac all last season, but for me, lugging the vac in and out of my shed, plugging in my xtra long extension cord and finding a longer hose etc. just got old...
Old    ScottRobinson            04-22-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Hey great pictures. Yeah I am worried about the cooler. Guess I will have to fight that fight when I get it. Have you got to talk to Gary? Looks like you have got to ride behind it and have a blast. LOVE IT. Anyway great pictures. Surf wake looks great.