Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (moombagirl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-26-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Help - Everything I read says you have to edge away from the boat on takeoff. In trying to get this into my head, can I still stand tall while edging away from the boat? When I do regular wake jumps, I try to envision how I would get the board away from the boat, and I just don't get it. Any advice here is most appreciated!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-26-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Yes, stand tall and hold your edge all the way thru the top of the wake...but at the top of the wake think about the tip of your board going away from the boat...almost up and over your lead shoulder.

I ride goofy (right foot foward) and on my rolls and r2r's I think about edging an arch at the top of the wake that will throw my board up and over my right shoulder. I keep the handle tight into my hips and also turn my head up over my right shoulder. Initiate your backroll with your edge up and away...not my throwing your body or head. If you edged correctly then you don't need to do much with your head to complete your rotation.

I hope that helps.
Old     (moombagirl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-26-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thanks - Last Sunday I went to a clinic on our lake with Russ Wilde, and he wanted me to try a Backroll, but I didn't feel like I had the concept understood enough to initiate it. I am still recovering from a huge crash on a "3", so I hope to give it a shot in the next day or so. I will post the results!
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
The only other thing I would add to the great tips Eubanks gives ya is to make sure and hold on with both hands, you'll come right around and have plenty of time to land. If you let go of the handle, especially early in the trick, your rotation will be off, maybe even go mexi.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-26-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
I agree. 2 hands on the handle is a good idea...and just remember to keep the handle in close to your hips. If your arms are out straight it will be hard for you to rotate fast enough to complete the flip. Good luck!

Search for some on wakepics.com or watch a video at home in slow motion to get the idea. It's hard to throw something when you can't invision what you are supposed to do.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-01-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
When I do my rolls, i start cutting "backwards about 1 to 1.5 foot away from the top of the wake. and i am gettin bucked and my rotation is super fast, so i gotta let it out real early to come around and I have a very noticable hitch in my roll, i want to make it smoother, any advice?
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Try a mellower cut. You really don't need huge edge for this trick. Just edge more slowly, but progressively and keep your edge and line tension all the way through the wake. Keep the handle at your lead hip. Stand very tall at the very top of the wake. Really exaggerate the last two steps. Think jumping high, not far out. Then initiate the rotation by looking over your lead shoulder. So: 1) mellow, but progressive cut 2) really stand tall at the very top of the wake 3) initiate rotation by looking over your lead shoulder and up 4) bend your knees for a soft landing - almost as if you had never left the water
Old     (wake_pimp)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-07-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Another thing that helps me is to concentrate on keeping about 60% of your weight on your FRONT foot as you drive the nose of the board away from the boat. That will make more of your center of gravity over the board so you'll get more pop.
Old     (moombagirl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-15-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Has anybody used a wakeskate to get the hang of the rotation so as not to have the board and injury to contend with?
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-16-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
I don't think that this will get you very far. Try it on a wakeboard right away, I'd say. The crashes aren't too bad. Remember all the tips you got and watch the Load And Release and HS Backroll sections on the Base Inverts CD of The Book. Keep trying, you'll land it in no time. You could also post videos of your tries, then we can get really specific with our tips.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I agree w/ Oliver. Stay w/ the wakeboard. If you are worried about the crashes, slow down the boat and bring in some of the line. I ride at 23mph and 70' and practice these at 21mph and 65'
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       08-26-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Yea I recently landed a backroll, and Im gunna agree with seth and oliver. I never took a hard enough crash to make me stop. I took harder crashes trying the clear the wake. Stick with the wakeboard, and just commit to the trick. Youll probably take harder falls if you let off. Go with what seth said, slower speed, and shorter line. That should help get you over the fear.
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-31-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Working on my first invert here too. I'm trying to envision a backroll. I picture basically a backwards cartwheel while facing the boat with the board perpendicular to the wake, is that about right?
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-02-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
that's about right. Think about taking the trick up and not over. If you stay on the edge up the wake, you'll make it to the other side.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-04-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
This is my body position off the wake. Truth be told, I probably am rushing this one a little and should wait a little longer to throw it.Upload