Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
I only interested in the wakeboarding wake and how does the boat handle when weighted.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-11-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
i know they take a lot of weight. back when i was riding behind them i didn't really have a chance to drive them weight down so i don't know about the handling
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-11-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
Craig-

I have an 05 Pro-V and haven't had any handling issues. I've weighted up to 2060lbs in ballast in addition to 3 riders, a full tank (65gals ) and 4 Pepsis... I've re-propped.

Send me mail if you're in the Fresno area and don't mind traveling to Bakersfield to get a drive in... I can always use a pull, schedule permitting, and you can see the wake first hand...

(Message edited by clubjoe on May 11, 2008)
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
The Pro V is wide at 102". So it does take more weight to sink it. We found about 1500# additional ballast work well and still drove well. Just as Clubjoe said you must reprop the boat. Calabria's stock prop is still used to ski behind. All that being said, the wake:

Wider wake with a nice long ramp with a good boot. Great for wake to wake for intermediate and up. A little big for novice. I have been told by Pro riders it is very similar to a X Star.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
craig i have an 04 pro-v i weight it regularly with 3200lbs and iv'e had 5000lbs a few times before at 3200lbs it handles pretty well still just some wide slow turn arounds as for the 5000lbs we had 13 people in the boat and we had to put everybody in the bow to get it too plane out and we had to stop and idle our turn arounds BUT the wake is SICK! at any of those weights really fun.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-11-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
I will seoncd the wake as being very nice as I used to own a Pro V. I have nothing to bad to say about them.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-12-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Clubjoe-
What prop did you go with? I am looking at re-proping now that I also sac it out with 2000+ pounds.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine has one. The wake dose not have a lot of pop to it. The stock ballast full with 3 on board and one in the water dosent produce a very good wake.
We are going to play with the stern plate and see if that makes a difference. If it dose I am going to try and talk the owner into putting a power trim jacks on the plate. It would make it more like a taps system.
Right now the wake is better half full than full with the stock ballast.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-12-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Is the 315 HP engine big enough? The one that I'm looking at only has the 315 Merc I believe or was PCM ever used for Calacria?

Also, does anyone knoe how tall the boat is with the tower down (Boss Tower), and or how tall the baot is without the tower? My garage is 8 feet tall and I need to fit here in.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-12-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
What Year is this Calabria ProV? and as far as I know, Calabria always used Merc. Are you sure it is 315HP. If it is, it will work, but re-prop. It might be sluggish with extra bags.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-12-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
If it an older Pro V with the boss tower it will be close at eight feet. I had to raise my garage because it would not fit under a standard door (with tower folded)with it off it will fit. I will measure when i get home.
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
The wake is really abrupt. Kinda hard on the knees. But they do drive very nice weighted. And the way the ballast fill is way faster then most.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-12-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Robert,

The boat is a 2004. If it is a merc then it should be easy to tell, because it should be a Black Scorp, right?

Rob,

A standard garage is 7'-0" on a track home and it is 8'-0" on a custom depending on the builder. Take those measurements for me pleae
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-12-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Craig,
It is about 6'6" to the window, and about 6'10" to the point the tower seperates at. But, I believe the part of the tower that folds down and back sticks up higher than that. I cant pull out boat to fold it down though right now, my wife has my truck. I also have a 2004 and it has a mercrusier engine not a black scorp. I believe they could have either one. Maybe somebody can help wit the folded height before I can. As far as the boat and its wake. Great boat and good beginner/intermediate wake with stock and gets better and better the more you load it. Plus a great family boat with all the room inside. We usually have 7-9 people and still have plenty of room.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Craig- I run a 330hp, no problems weighted to 2060.... Gotta say, I wouldn't mind the extra HP to make me feel better, but I only re-propped when I started adding more than about 1000-1200lbs if I remember right.

MOX- 13.5 x 16 on the prop.

Also about the wake... Ive noticed, and others have mentioned that you get a little extra bump right at the wake's peak....
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-12-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
I don't know that my experience with the Pro-V is the same as everyone elses. When weighted at only stock +1100#, I wouldn't want a non-experienced driver at the wheel. I may not go as far as to say there is a handling "problem", but it does seem to take some finesse to turn it around in the D' at weight and speed. I haven't driven many other v-drives, so maybe it's common in other boats...but IMHO, you better be paying attention and know a little about driving a boat.

What I haven't seen mentioned, is that the Pro-V seems to be very sensitive to wake placement. If you have a lot of people on board this is easy to deal with...but with a small crew and a lot of bags you will need to experiment a bit to get things dialed.

All that said...I *LOVE* my Pro-V for most of the same reasons mentioned above. If you are patient and willing to learn how the boat responds to weight, and can pay attention while you drive...you just can't beat the space for passengers and gear.

If anyone wants to roll out on a Pro-V in the Stockton area to find out for themselves, hit me up. We ride 2-3 times a week out of Village West (Garlic Brothers) and would be happy to give a few pulls.

Also, a good dealer matters. Larson Marine in Stockton has provided excellent support and I would expect the same for any other Calabria buyers.

(2005 (manual wake plate), no ballast guages, 330 Black Scorpion)
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-13-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Craig

If it is the Black Scorp. then you have 330hp. I do believe that the 330hp was a standard motor. So if it is you are fine. Get the boat you will love it. Calabria's are fantastic boats. you will not be sad. I am woundering if you had a chance to look at the Pro V2?

(Message edited by rbeckei on May 13, 2008)
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-13-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Craig is looking at an 04. I believe they came standard with a 315hp. I don't remember seeing a scorpion logo on the 315's when I was shopping, but that was a while ago.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-13-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Clubjoe

I am not very sure. It could very well be.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
I think the 315 is the mercruiser
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
2004 was either a 5.7 315hp or the 6.2 340hp MerCruiser ONLY in a Calabria. I have the 315hp with a 13x16 Acme prop and it pulls great.

(Message edited by sydwayz on May 13, 2008)
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Any get any measurements yet. I'm test driving it this weekend and I can measure it then. But I'm like a little kid and can't wait.
Old     (yates_and_debaux)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Did you offer them $20k and call it a serious offer? What a joke man. I spent my whole Saturday waiting on you, then took you wakeboarding on my boat, let your wife drive, and let you drive and you offer $37k! I am so hacked off right now. Your a clown. The funny thing is you have driven the best now and everything else you drive won't even compare. You will always know the boat you buy doesn't measure up to the 210. You are a bozo.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Cita Pita

Can you explain a little more?
Old     (yates_and_debaux)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Craig is an idiot.
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-20-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're a hell of a boat salesman....

The Pro-V's are a blast when dumped. We added 1500 on top of stock ballast and 12 large guys and the wake was giant, wide and really fun. The transitions must have been 5 feet long.

Definitely go with the biggest motor you can get. It's a big boat. We had to move people to the nose to get the boat on plane and back to keep the nose from dipping when coming off plane.

The Calabria ballast system is bar-none the best system on the water. I wish the other companies would figure that out.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
The Calabria ballast system is bar-none the best system on the water. I wish the other companies would figure that out.

I believe MB has PureVert on their Tomcat this year. And MasterCraft has had the patent rights for their X Star.

I think the patent is availible for other manufacturers this year.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-20-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
is x star a ballast system?
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
So I test drove a Super air 210 and a Calabria Prov V this weekend on the same saturday. I decided to go with the Super Air. The Calabria had tears in the uphostry and I couldn't live with that.

Some Guy (Read Above) didn't like my offer 38k for a boat that is listed on Nada for like 39k then decides that he's pissed off about my offer, done negotiating and calls the Calabria a POS. Looks likes he will be spending the summer paying for a boat he can't afford.

I liked the Calbria and if I can find a clean one close would still consider it. Is hard to get a West Coast boat here in Texas.

As far a the Pure Vent, it was pretty sweet, filled up and drained in less than a minute. I think patents last between 5-8 years. I read some verbiage on it at a dealer once. I think it might expire here shortly so other companies might follow.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
good luck and if you do end up buying a SAN, for the love of V-Drives make sure "that" owner knows better than to beach his $40k boat..
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-20-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
The pure vert ballast system is available on the B52V23 model from MB as well. I think it will be on all models actually. My tomcat fills 2400lbs in about 70 seconds and drains it in like 30 seconds on plane. It's nuts.

For surfing, I can go from level to listing heavily in 40 seconds. You can just sit and watch it. It is the best system on the market with nothing even close in 2nd place IMO.
Old     (doubleup720)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you are still in the market for a Pro V give Larson Marine a call. Mike @ Larson Marine 209 465 5801. We have a few 2007 left. We can make you a KILLER deal.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-21-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
Cita Pita (yates_and_debaux)
I don't know it seems like you may be the bozo, real professional, and not something I would have expected from somebody in finance. Guess I underestimated my profession, yet again!
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-22-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Is being in finance supposed to take someone to a higher lever of social interaction?
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-22-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
HAHAHAHA, not really, but I can hope! I guess higher levels of social interaction come with age and experience.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
cita-pita:
what was your asking price?

and I ride behind a proV alot. Th owner wont sack it out much, but I love the wake. And the interior room is rediculous.