Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
As most of you may know I blew my knee 8/20/05. I've been seeing one orthopaedic surgeon, and I am not pleased with him. I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations in the Orange/Riverside County or surrounding areas.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-17-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
Thane Dogg, don't know any over there Larry's was
Great you may want to call him they could probally give you a name of someone, DR. David C. Zeman M.D,P.C. Doctor for Arizona Diamondbacks, 602-667-6613 I'm sure they could help with a name or 2. Great surgeon, Great office. Give it a try couldnt hurt.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
I'll do that Gordie, thanks.

anyone else?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-17-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Come to Dallas and have it done by Texas Sports Medicine. The doctor there is one of the best in the world and pretty much every knee injury in pro basketball and soccer is treated there. You can have surgery and fly home the next day.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-17-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
Thane - You gotta check Dr. Bradley Baum at Corona Orthopedics, works on Seth Enslow & other FMX guys, he's the best.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-17-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
that might be a possibility because Dr. Baum, is in the same group, and building as my current Doc.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-17-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
Dr. Greg Heinen

Community Orthopedics (951)274-3414
4444 Magnolia ave. (14th x Magnolia

How far have you gotten with your knee? Did you get an MRI yet, do you need surgery, have you had the surgery? 3 months since your injury, all these things should be completed by now if necessary.

I was referred to him by a friend (risk manager of a local ski resort). I called his office the morning after my injury, and after I explained my situation to them they asked me how soon I could get there.

Dr. Heinen did an assessment and told me; "you have torn your ACL if not more, we need to get you a brace (10 min later I had a full leg, articulating brace) and an MRI as soon as possible (that took about 1 1/2 weeks)." About 2 weeks later I had my surgery and after the weekend I began physical therapy.

Bottom line... He doesn't F*#% around, and his bedside manner is second to none.

I hope that helps, and good luck bro.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-17-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
Thane Dogg, Larry tore he's Acl and Miniscus Aug
21st got mri 1 week later surgery right after nationals, sept 21st and been going to P/T for about 2 weeks you really do need someone who doesn't run you around. good luck.
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-17-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
Hey Thane, I'm coming down to ride this weekend. Swing by the channel and I'll take a look at it. Do you have anything to ease the pain a bit?
Bring a case of Red Bull, some giraffe tranquilizers, and a double double. Shouldn't take me long.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-18-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
SCOI is in Van Nuys.
http://www.scoi.com/doctors/index.html

But they have good Orthopods.I use to work with one who did her Fellowship training there and her mentors were Del Pizzo and Fox.
Too bad Hamilton isn't in the VN office. He does very good work.
I know that's not the area you requested but it maybe worth your while.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-18-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thane, didn't know - sucks to hear that you're hurt. I thought injuries were reserved for us old guys.

Sean, good to hear from you, I went down the list and was getting ready to suggest Thane get in touch with you.

BTW...is it true that how you handle injuries such as this in the first few minutes has a great bearing on your recovery time? If so, does anyone have any recommendations such as making sure there are cold packs on board, or immobilization or etc., etc?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-18-2005, 11:59 PM Reply   
Hey Thane...I checked with my co worker and he said that Baum is the man. Most orthopods specialize within their specialty and the other one you mentioned does mostly shoulders. But Dr. Baum is great with knees. And you will love him. There are so many different cool ways to repair ACL's now days and the best way is the way your surgeon is most comfortable doing it!!! Take care and let me know how it goes. See you soon.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-19-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
Socal MOB - I called and tried to get in with Baum, but they told me the next available appointment is nov. 28th......but, I called today to stop my PT appointments and the front desk chick slid me in an open oct. 31st spot. SWEET! thanks for the help.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-19-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thane - last time I went to Dr. Baum, I brought him a copy of Detention (he also spends time behind the boat). If you were to, say, bring in a little token, might get you upgraded to first class (not that you really need to with him).
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-19-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Chops - good idea.