Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-19-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
If you have been riding glass all day and it looked like it was getting even better and you only had about 2 hours till dark. But than you saw a family in a boat waving you down. What would you do? If they needed a tow that would take you about a hour
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-19-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
Well i would probley give them a tow, i think its CA law ne ways? but yea i would help them. cause u never know when u'll need a tow. I would feel bad just leaving them sitting out there. And you never know it might be some hidden camera crap, so u might look good on tv, so yea
Old    beerdrnknboardr            10-19-2003, 11:24 PM Reply   
I'd have em toss out an anchor and tell them I'd be back after the ride, but thats only if the water is really good. Also, maybe whip out a cell phone and call up a whatever authority patrols the lake and have them come out. You should also ask them what they got in their ice chest.
Old    wakelvr            10-19-2003, 11:28 PM Reply   
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-19-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
I would do what I've done in the past - help them in any way I can. What else am I going to do, ignore their pleas for help?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-20-2003, 12:39 AM Reply   
immediately cease riding and give them a tow.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-20-2003, 5:48 AM Reply   
Give em a tow, like we did about two weeks ago. It seemed to be my day to help, first we pulled the truck in front of me on the ramp out of the delta. (It was a total loss and only had 5000 miles on it, we also got it all on video) and then when we all could have gotten one more set in, later on that day, we stopped to pull a fellow stranded, wakeboarder in to the docks.

And I second Stefani's KARMA comment.

(Message edited by forwaken on October 20, 2003)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-20-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
I totally agree with Stef. Karma Baby, Karma
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       10-20-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
We did it yesterday. Needed to be home by 1:00 PM and on our last loop we found someone and towed them in. Do good things and good things happen to you.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-20-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
I agree with Stefani, Karma. Also it is the law here in Texas to stop and render aid. I always have people come up to me when I am filling my side sacs (engine cover is open). I have had wakeboarders and pontoon boats pull up.
Old    leggester            10-20-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
Do you know the laws around this issue?

To me, it's a no brainer - help 'em out.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-20-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Karma.
I thought the TV comment was funny though. In today's society you've gotta think about the camera - it's everywhere...
I guess small lakes are good for some things.
Old    aka sickboy            10-20-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
You could tow them in, or give one of them a ride to a dock to call a tow service. The law to stop and render aid is ONLY applicable if there is an immediate threat to life or limb.

I've done both. If I have the time, I'll tow someone in, if I'm short on time, I'll run someone from their crew to the closest dock. You also have to remember in this day and age of lawsuit happy people, that if you somehow damage their boat while towing them in, you could be liable for those damages. Particularly in a place like the delta, where you could navigate your way safely through a narrow channel, but the boat you are towing could get caught by a strong current, and hit a levee or an underground obstacle.

I had a friend who had a MC Prostar 190 about 5 years back. He fried his impeller on Lake Mead, and someone towed him in, they were going to fast, and it put enough force on his underwater gear that it pulled his shaft out until the prop was resting on the rudder. They ended up being responsible for the repairs, and paid for them.
Old    veganx            10-20-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
A friend of mine used to have a boat that was, shall we say, less than reliable. There were several times we ended up using our boards as paddles. A tow is always appreciated.

Mark, did your friend tell the person towing him to slow down? It seems pretty sketchy to sue someone who was trying to help.

EDIT: We've always had the people towing us hook on to our rope. That way we can hold on to the handle, allowing us to let go if something isn't right.

(Message edited by veganx on October 20, 2003)
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
insurance and liability laws are ugly when it comes to giving tows. accepting $$ for giving a tow could also get you in some trouble as some areas require licenses....if you accept payment when you aren't licensed kinda thing. your insurance company won't like it either.**

that said, i give tows whenever i can help. but, i do draw the line at the point where my insurance and/or others safety is at stake. and i don't take $$, beers but not $$.

make sure you know what you're doing, don't put yourself and your boat/crew at risk, and go slow. help out where you can but don't get in over your head.

**i only made those points to illustrate the risks of towing. stopping and rendering aid does not include any requirement to give a tow. if you aren't comfortable, don't do it.
Old    norcal_99            10-20-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
I would help the stranded boaters in any circumstance.

Old    aka sickboy            10-20-2003, 2:51 PM Reply   
I should have clarified. The boat that towed him in was working for a local marina. There was no law suit, and yes he was waving and yelling for the guy to slow down.

Personally, I feel more comfortable giving someone a ride in. I have towed people long distances before, but that was when we were on a larger lake (Trinity), without a lot of traffic, and no nearby marina's, or recovery services. It's just not something I like to make a habit of.

On a side note, I've been stranded once or twice myself, and had no one stop for me, even fellow wakeboarders in the delta (Had a Launch full of riders slow down and stare at us while we were waving frantically, then they just took off). It can be a long walk back to a marina on those levees. I now keep the number to the CG in Rio Vista on my cell, and always have my cell with me.

mb
Old    norcal_99            10-20-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
Mark, next time you're stuck and get left like that by another boater write down their registration numbers. Under U.S federal and International Maritime Laws, vessels have a duty to rescue distressed vessels.

Also as for the whole law suit issue, Good Samaritan laws are in place to provide immunity against liability.
Old    sdorovi            10-20-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
Bravo I'm glad everyone on this thread has good values. I believe the same way KARMA will always catch up to you especially bad KARMA.

However I was once coming back from stockton when a pick up truck in front of me started blowing water out from everywhere. I stopped to help, it was a young women(notice I didn't say chick very P.C.) I opened the hood and noticed she blew her water pump. I offered to give her a ride or call someone, she said she was meeting her friend at the rest stop at the top of Altamont. Turned out from talking to her the truck was her boyfriends and I was giving her a ride to meet the guy she was cheating on her boyfriend with.

Not related to boating just a story about how even good samaritan help can still leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-20-2003, 4:33 PM Reply   
When I was a kid my dad used to tell me that you could be liable for damages towing somebody else if you throw them your line and tie onto them, but you are not liable if they throw you their line and tie onto you. I don't know where he got this, but he always took US Power Squadron courses. Anyway, it was back east, and a long time ago. Anybody know anything about this?

BTW, offer the aid, if you've already enjoyed great water for a half day, then there should be no question what is the right thing to do.
Old    norcal_99            10-20-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
When I was a kid my mom told me that if I put a whole pack of PopRocks in my mouth, and then drank a whole can of Coke my belly would explode. , jk Doc

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
lol!

My mom told me that if I spent all my time skiing and wakeboarding I would never amount to much!!