Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
not bad for a 40 dollar flash, eh?

Upload
Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-23-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
HAHA olie looks like a little dragon in that first pic.

The 1st one looks really nice, but the second is a little bright on Moby's head. All in all not bad for you first few shots.
Old     (krazywake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
nice, not bad.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Are you sure it went off?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
here you go rich, is this better?

Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-23-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
holly blowout!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I think you just showed us a potential limitation of a $40 flash!Upload

I thought I saw an SB600 in that picture you posted of your gear?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
if the thread title was "canon flash pic edited on a mac," i bet you would've said how kick ass it was.

how's it going rich? by the way, i thought for sure you would've submitted a pic in the last assignment. maybe the next one?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
The EXIF data says the flash fired.

Nice even coverage with no shadows. What kind of flash is it Joe ?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
It looks like you bounced off the ceiling ?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
nikon sb-24

still trying to figure out how to use it!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
I'm still working on it too Joe.
Old     (krazywake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
it almost looks like u were using an umbrella for these, the light is nice and diffused.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
walt, yeah but you're waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of me!

yeah, i bounced it off the ceiling. i'm trying to read more on the sb24 so hopefully, i can figure this out.

blaine, i think it looks that way cause i bounced it off the ceiling.

and yeah, i need to buy a diffuser. and no, i'm not buying a $$$$$$$$$$gary fong$$$$$$$$$$$$.

(Message edited by dakid on February 23, 2008)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
It's kinda like learning how to ride switch- there's just no easy way to go about doing it, and you're gonna be frustrated many times along the way. But when you start to get it down you'll really understand things a lot better.

Sounds like you got a steal for $40! One repair bill alone for my 580ex was two or three times that!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
holy crap! is it common for flashes to go out? what was wrong w/ yours? did it go out when i used it?

yeah, i just figured out how to strobe with this. of course, the settings were way off so it looks like poo!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Is that the only flash you have Joe ? I bought a optical trigger and a cheapo flash that I use as a slave and it works fairly well.

I think the trigger was only 35 bucks. I just came across some radio triggers in the 50.00 range too.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Nah...not common. I rented a Quantum battery pack for it and it blew up in the middle of my shoot. External packs can make it pretty easy for you to just continually pop off the flash and sooner or later that will blow up/melt the insides. Anyways, that isn't quite what happened to me, but sh*t happens I guess. It was a week out of warranty, too. Oh well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
i'm sorry...optical trigger???
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
scott, i'm using quantaray rechargeable batteries. should i stop using them?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
(i'm sorry...optical trigger???)

It's one of a couple different ways to trigger a off camera flash.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-24-2008, 2:55 AM Reply   
I was using one of these: http://www.adorama.com/QTT.html

I was shooting some winch stuff and grew tired sloshing through the mud to replace my NiMH rechargeables in my flashes so I just rented the above battery and...doh. I'm not holding anything against anyone because electronics just fail sometimes, and given the popularity of the quantum battery packs I can't imagine that it's too common (unless you are firing off the flash in rapid succession...then you'll blow up just about any flash that doesn't have an internal fan!).

Anyways, if you're just using AA's then I can't imagine that you'll ever have to really worry much about blowing anything up. The amount of power that the Quantum pack was giving me was frickin ridiculous. Refresh times were virtually zero.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-24-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
My original comment was meant to be a compliment (the first 2 were excellent) as the best thing you can say about a flash is that you can't tell that it fired (no obvious highlites looking at the image).

Far be it from me to be critical, I've yet to take my 430 out of the box. As far as the last assignment goes wasn't it "self portraits" ? I'm not going anywhere near that one!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
don't i feel like a freakin' idiot???? i totally took that the wrong way. thanks rich.

eh, i wasn't into self portraits either, but a.p. called me out, so i had to put something together. then a.p. doesn't post anything. what's up w/ that???? i'm kind of surprised to hear the 430's still in teh box. i figured you would've done some flash stuff w/ chris already, be it some slave stuff or something.

scott, yeah, i'm just using AA batteries. maybe i should use that battery pack...refresh time on this flash is about 7 seconds.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-24-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Too late for that Joe, I'm taking my Canon stuff, my Mac and going home!Upload

Seriously though I do need to get motivated to do some shooting.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
haha! ok ok ok...it was my bad!

take some pics foo! i'm headed to l.a. today. when i get back tonight, i expect to see some pics posted by you!