Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (charliep)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm new to this forum (been using the search a lot) and relatively new to wakeboarding. We're in the process of buying a new boat and because we still ski and will use the boat primarily for pleasure boating we are considering a MasterCraft 205V (X2 w/out ballast & tower) and the Supra Sunsport V. I'm in my mid 30's and the kids won't be doing anything serious for 10 years so we don't need all the wakeboading extras yet.

My biggest concern about the Supra is the wake plate. What are the long term affects to the transom? It just seems that if you have to use a wakeplate to keep the boat from porpoising then the hull just isn't right. I test drove a Launch SSV yesterday and experienced it first hand. I'll agree the wake plate can be a good thing to tweak the wake shape, but I'd hoped that would be its only use and not be required to cruise.

We plan on keeping the boat for a long time (10+ years).

Thanks,
Charlie
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Charlie -
I am not an expert on the Supra, but the Tige' I own uses a moveable wake plate called Taps. This is a device used on the Tige' boats to shape the wakes from small to large to create versatility. You can adjust it to ski or wakeboard making the boat a little more flexible for all boaters in your family.

As far as long term to the transom, there is no issue, the boat is built to be used this way. Look at the stress a Outboard or I/O drive will put on a transom, and the wakeplate really is not a lot of stress. The porpoising is due to hull design made to allow this versatile wake change. The hull is in a bow to stern convex shape. At higher speeds this puts the boat into a rocking position when it is lifted on plane. By lowering the wakeplate it acts like a plane's aileron to counteract the rocking motion, and allow the boat to create a smaller/softer wake for water skiing.

Look up the Tige' web page at www.tige.com. This should let you see the physics and thought process involved. It is current technology which makes a boat a little more versatile. Take a look, it does work, and the concerns you have, really shouldn't be a second thought.
Old     (charliep)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Thanks, that makes sense now (I'm an engineer and everything needs to make sense). In order to have the adjustability you have to sacrifice performance without a plate. MC preaches ballast only and I'd like to make my own informed decision.

Yes, transoms can be huge on I/O's and outboards, but they are designed for the load. I just want to make sure (no real doubts) that Supra has the design to support the wake plate.

Charlie
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-14-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Yeah Charlie I own a Tige' and love the Taps. Especially when just out cruisin, like at the Delta or Havasu. When it's glassy run the bow down and it's so smooth. But when it get's rough or there are some large oncoming wakes. Bring the bow up and it handles great in those situations. Very versatile.

When heavely weighted I use the taps to help on the hole shot. Then once at speed I bring the bow back up, though not all they way and dial in the wake from there.