Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-09-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Figured I would get people's opinions on how to weigh my 2002 SAN to produce an optimal surf wake. I know that nautiques are not the most adept at producing large surf wakes, with problems taking rollers over the bow etc, but I have taught most of my drivers how to drive while listing heavily as well as how to stop, wait, and turn. PATIENCE!!!!! So even with a ton of weight in the boat we are not swamping.

So here is what I have available:
1100# sac in each V-drive side
350# sac in the ski locker
650# sac in the bow
2 750# sacs (1500#) and 21 50# bags of lead (1050#)

I have currently run with:
650# in bow, with an extra 250# lead under the center cushion in the bow
350# ski locker
750# in surfside V-drive sac
800# lead on surfside

It produces a good wave, but nothing spectacular. I would appreciate any advice
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-10-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
I will save my first thought for last. It really depends on what is important to you, wakeboard wake or surf wake? If you are dropping wakeboarding for wakesurfing then it's easy. Just trade it in for a deep V, V drive. I will leave it up to others to reccomend brands but they would include; Centurion, Supreme, Tige, Sanger, and posibly a few others. The real idea here is to acheive a huge, clean, surf wave with a boat that does not require 2500 lbs of ballast plus 10 people or 3500lbs. I had crazy great wakes with 1500 and 3 peeps in the boat, but that was with a switchblade and that is another thing I am trying to avoid with the new boat. The blade has it's good and bad sides and could be what you need in "THAT" boat.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-10-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
So there is no way to get a good wake with a SAN without a switchblade? I am not expecting an ENZO or Avalanche wake, just as good as the hull will provide. This was the wave I had with 750 in the V-drive, 200 lead on the surf side, 350 in ski locker, 650 in the bow. Now I have more weight available, so hopefully I can improve on it
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-10-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
I am just not a fan of crazy unsafe weights, and it takes a while to do, I have a job and it aint ballast pump boy or lead moover. Guessing your prop rotation is to goofy side, can you get anything decent on the regular side? Is that a 210 SAN ? I know a few guys that get decent results with 220 and 230 SAN's but they have to add crazy weight and can not get squat on the reg side. In all honesty, my AVY was a terrible wakeboard boat, but with the blade, it shamed everything else for surfing only and became decent wakeboarding with it. Another great food for thought and Ragboy is in agreement with this, bigger boats dont mean bigger surf waves, they mean more weight needed to acheive but I will say 22' is the base. The only 21 footer that I saw get a great wave was a Cyclone with a 100 inch beam, forgot the year, I think it was 2008 and the last year they made it.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-10-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I have a 211 which is smaller than your 210. We get a decent wake. It may not be as big as some but it has good push- more than some boats with bigger cleaner wakes. Last week I went with a friend to try and get his Sanger 230 cleaned up. His wake was really pretty and clean but had a lot less push than my boat. I think the width of my boat is smaller than yours so I am not convinced surf boats have to be huge. My prop turns the opposite direction as yours. I put about 800 pounds in the goofy side locker and half the belly full. Then we add 350 pounds in the bow. This is the harder side for me to get nice but it looks pretty good. The other side we use 600 pounds in the locker and 400 on the walkway. we roll the bag in the front over and go at it.

Your wake looks nice. You might reduce the weight in the bow a bit and it will get taller but maybe a little shorter. I have surfed several boats and it takes a while to get the weight in the correct place. Every boat is a little different. I have surfed two Sanger 230. One was ok and the other was great. The other one was Frank W. and he has spent a bunch of times getting the weight in the correct place.

What lake is that?
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-11-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
That is Bass Lake, in northern california. I live in arizona, usually going to Bartlett or Pleasant lake. My plan is to fill the surfside locker with the 1100#, about 200# of lead under the surfside gunnel, a 750# bag at the surfside seat, prob half fill the 350# ski locker bag, and fill the 650# bow bag (adjusting based on wake size, etc). Not sure how many people I will have on the boat this weekend, so that weight may vary a bit. the other side I will have about 100# of lead and variable filling of the V-drive sac to get the size I want. I will post a pic of the wave next week some time. Any thoughts?