Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    lange_01            07-09-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
I bought a 89 Ski Nautique 2001 a few weeks ago. The trailer says Correct Craft on it so it's probably a Correct Craft trailer? Here's the problem, I can't find a VIN number on the trailer. My insurance + DMV want the number. The boat and trailer came from Colorado and the trailer has no plates. Colorado does not use plates or titles for its boats. Just registration. Can someone tell me where the VIN number is? Or maybe it never had one? What the hell?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-09-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Should be up near the tongue of the trailer. I had a similar problem.

Eric
Old    gaboarder            07-09-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Couldn't find mine on the trailer, had to look on the document of orgin.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-09-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
The VIN number is supposed to permanently affixed to the trailer, and the general place is up near the tongue.

There are two ways that the number is generally put on: one way is to stamp it into the frame of the trailer. This is often done by hand, using hand held punches, which can make the number a bit uneven. I would expect the numbers to be about 1/4" tall.

Another way is that the number is stamped into a metal tag which is then rivited to the frame. The tags are generally machine made. The entire tag is usually 1" x 2" which makes the numbers on it quite small.

The metal tag approach is often a lot easier for the manufacturer. The draw back is that the tag is easily destroyed and can corrode away or become unreadable.

Sometimes your best bet is to just take the trailer to DMV and have them inspect it. If no identification number can be found they will have you fill out some paperwork and they will assign a new number to it.

Rod
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
I am in Colorado. We do not have titles for the boat but we do for the trailer. The VIN should be on the title!!!

Every state is different, but in Colorado, when you bring a vehicle/trailer in from another state, you have to have a VIN inspection. If no vin is on the trailer (maybe the sticker came off, maybe the trailer was repaired where it was rivited on - I've seen tons of trailers with no vin) then they will assign a new one.

If it were me. To save the hassle of them assigning a new one - I'd get my 'metal number punch set' and re-apply the number that appears on the title.

If they didn't give you a title for the trailer, they really did you a dis-service.
Old    lange_01            07-09-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have no title for the trailer. There are numbers stamped on the tongue but they are only about 5 digits. I have the Colorado 60 day temporary registration and a bill of sale from the original owner to some dude and a bill of sale from that dude to me.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
In MI trailers do not require a VIN.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
Florida does not title trailers.