Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-18-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Holy cow mik, I'm pretty sure you and I could share a pitcher of beer someday. Not that I'm romantically attracted to you. Or that anything would be wrong with that if I were...
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-18-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Anytime, I'll buy the first round.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       01-18-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/18/your...piracy_theory/
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-18-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
Great panel discussion/debate at the California Commonwealth Club:
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/even...-be-done-11713

Prompted me to send money to the CA Gun Foundation
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-21-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
So who's Right? Cause this is contradictory to what is being said correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGn4o...e_gdata_player
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-22-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
Matt, that's an old video from the first day(s) after the tragedy. So it was premature reporting and not currently applicable.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-31-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
The latest gun control bill only demonstrates how clueless the anti-gun groups are about the nature of the problem. They introduce this bill, with two major components: 1. certain models of firearms and sizes of magazines are prohibited from being made or sold after the effective date of the bill, and 2. background checks will be required by law for any gun transaction, closing the so-called "gun show loophole." However, the bill will do exactly NOTHING to reduce gun violence.

1. As others have noted, handguns are a far more prevelent weapon used in acts of gun violence. When you examine the actual number of incidents in which a weapon that would be banned by this bill was used, you would see that they are statistically insignificant. This is just another example of "feel-good" legislation that does nothing to address the supposed problem. In fact, Mayor Bloomberg, a major anti-gun figure, admitted that the bill would not have prevented the Connecticut shooting being cited as the reason we need to pass the bill.

2. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" FOR BACKGROUND CHECKS. This bill would require that EVERY gun purchase include a background check on the purchaser, including private sales between individuals. Are we really expected to believe that criminals interested in illegally obtaining a weapon to use in a crime will, OF THEIR OWN ACCORD TO COMPLY WITH A NEW LAW, go submit to a background check? NO! They will pay someone cash and move on, undeterred and undetected. So, demonstrably, the only people affected by this requirement would be law-abiding citizens. Criminals don't follow laws.