Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (epicx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-09-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
I know this has been done a thousand times before, but I would like to hear some pros and cons on these two boats. Both are pretty comparable boats as far as options. The X-star is a little more in price, but I am told that is to be expected. I need this boat to last a while so which would be the better for the long haul.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-09-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
If money is not an issue, my opinion is the X-star. (I like both boats and I am not biased towards MC, just because I own one). My recommendation is to drive both and go with the one that YOU like best. Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-09-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
The tower..... one sucks, the other doesn't.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-09-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
What are you using the boat for?

Xstar is a better "core" wakeboat, VLX is a little more versatile.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-10-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
Bill K = Funny post. I had to look at your profile to figure out which way you swung!

The VLX has more interior sitting room. That was a big factor for me with the family + friends issue. I took a measuring tape and measured the interior of both boats at an 07 boat show.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
Here are my thoughts -- I have a 05 VLX. If I could find someone to pay me at least 38k for it, I would but that 06 Xstar in the classifieds for 46k.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-14-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
Jim you really need to think about what your doing the most. If your hard core wake boarding then x star. If not the vlx is going to be in the running. X star drinks gas average surf wAke and not as big on the inside. However the best wake since it was built. I think the new 230 is giving it a good run. Demo and really think about your main use.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-16-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Get in a MC and then get in a Malibu. I did and hands down I went with the Malibu twice. My next will probably be a Malibu. I am not a young buck (38), but I was not impressed with MC nor have I ever been. I have never been in one and said to myself this is a great boat. The wake is smaller stock them my VLX stock and I there is smaller sitting room unless you like being in the front. I don't really know anyone over 15 that love to hang out in the bow. They do look cool and if you have the extra gas money to push a slammed X star through the water cause you need to weight it down then that is the boat for you.

Jim tell us what you ended up with.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-17-2009, 1:22 AM Reply   
If the wake is what you are after the x star is your boat no doubt.

search the forums and you'll see what you need, this has been debated to death
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-17-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
malibu- drives better, more room, easier to get a good wake.

x-star- better wake sacked out, more room in bow, it's an xstar.

both are going to hold value better than most boats and both look good. i would consider which dealer you would rather deal with because they are both going to mess up.

and don't just drive them but test the wake how you would normally ride behind it. especially on the vlx. i've been in two 06 vlxs that were supposedly the same, only difference was the color and one had a titan tower the other had the illusion. one had an awesome wake the other had a small wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-17-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
People are going to get their panties in a bunch but in my opinion the the Xstar is a better built boat than the VLX. This holds true over the whole lines. Malibus are very nice, well built boats but with the owner must be pretty anal to keep the boat in great shape. Mastercraft's can be beat on a little more and still stay in nice shape. I like the one piece liner a lot. Snap out carpet is one of the best features wakeboats have started using in the last few years. Although small the windshield is way sturdier and the mastercraft than the Malibu. They use sturdier hinges for the walkthrough, solid stainless steel stanchions and the windshield is just overall more solid.

All that being said the VLX is still a boat that I would very strongly consider. For same years and options it should be cheaper than an Xstar, it is more versatile and is all around a very nice boat. The Illusion tower on the Malibu's are a very sturdy and simple tower. The only downfall is they are not that tall.

Like others have said the Xstar is a great choice if you are going to be wakeboarding loaded down most of the time. The Star doesn't surf as well, most don't have a ski pylon and don't ski as well. Tough choice but go check them out and see which one you like better.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-17-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have ridden behind both boats. The Mali is built SO WELL, interior, design, function are great and we all know a great wake. I just rode behind the 07' X-Star..nice, the wake VERY nice, I was impressed with wake shape. the interior..not great! design and room..GREAT! Exhaust noise level..UNBEARABLE!! I thought I was at the track. Couldn't talk or think. GO with the BU
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Brett Yates (polarbill) : The Illusion tower on the Malibu's are a very sturdy and simple tower.

Not so much. Ask any dealer how many pins & bushing they replace on Illusion towers. Try stacking them with 4 speakers, 4 boards & a pair of foils. Not only will it not happen, but it wouldn't be safe if you could.

Won't happen with MC's tower either. The strongest & most versatile option out there is still the Titan.

I've owned both. And MCs quality control has gone down a bit IMO. While Malibu has stepped it up in the last few years.
Old     (mckid)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-13-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
x star
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
j hill: providing sensibility in a nonsensical world. We need to ride this coming summer!
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-14-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
"Mastercraft's can be beat on a little more and still stay in nice shape" .

This is not necessarily true... or maybe it is depending on your expectation. Xstars with a few years on them with develope two things. First, the front seats will tear at the junction of the vertical cushion and the horizontal cushion. This seat is not designed well. That interface always sees alot of stress and will eventually fail within 3 to 5 years. Second is the vinyl wrapping around the throttle area. I have seen this fail on almost every X star or X-1 I have been in. It is a recall item I think but from i was told, service simply says it will come "un-done" again.

I love the Xstar and the VLX, but I would be embarrased spending 60K for a boat that has tears in the vinyl after jusrt a few years.

I don't want to be Mr. Negative... but I don't think blanket statements like the made are even close to being true...

-Uj
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-14-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
If I had to choose which one to go for a ride in or rent, I would probably go X-star because I like the way they look and the wake when slammed, but would probably go with the Bu if I was buying due to versatility with the wake / wave and a little better economy. I wouldn't turn down a pull behind either though.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-14-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Having crawled around both and detailed the insides of everything, the Xstar is going to be better built to the final touches. However, as said, not so much the family boat, and you are going to want to sack it out (however comparing a VLX with ballast and wedge to a stock xstar is a little unfair, if you throw another 1k of ballast in the xstar [the supposed equivalent of the wedge] you would see the wakes get on a more even playing field). Being in a malibu family, and seeing my cousins family having been with MC's the whole time, I will never buy a malibu in the future unless I get a deal of the century.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       12-15-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
If you want it for the long haul, then Malibu, excellent all around great boat.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-16-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
as for the wake on the vlx,, here is a 08 vlx with the 4 tanks and power wedge
\the 06 vlx is the exact same hull as the 09 so the wake wont be any different unless the amount of people u run
Upload

(Message edited by nicvtx1994 on December 16, 2009)
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-16-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
What speed and length are you on that?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-16-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Wow, nick you look just like Dean Smith. Oh, pretty sure Dean Smith has never ridden just factory ballast in his whole life.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
06 and 09 are NOT the same hull. 09 is the first year of the new design
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       12-16-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
didn't we just do this last week? VLX vx. Xstar. Whatever happened to that post. I went to check it at night and it was gone. Dave must have pulled it? I was getting a kick out of it. Anyone know?
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-16-2009, 11:44 PM Reply   
i know thats not me lol, its dean smith wakeboading at black diamond wakeboarding school!!

and my bad bout the 09 part, i got the dates mixied up, 05-08 was the same hull then they redesigned it this yr
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-17-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
Can anyone confirm that that is the stock wake with just the wedge? That wake seems a bit too meaty to be just 1000lbs. (or is it 1250?) of ballast and a wedge.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-17-2009, 3:27 AM Reply   
It's the 4 tanks, (1250) and power wedge and 10 peeps in the boat
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-17-2009, 4:10 AM Reply   
Just for the sake of clarification, do you know how many were m/f of those 10 people? It makes about a 400-600 lb. difference.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-17-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
id have to go MALIBU
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-17-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
The 'Bu wake is soft as me, I should know. Go with an '06 SAN 210, that wake is a monster, even stock! I have had both and I want my SAN back. I gave my SAN to my brother when the wife's dad gave us a new 'Bu, but I'm trying to pull off a swap if I keep I can keep the family happy 8p...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-17-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
without being there i can almost promise that is not just stock
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Better quality build in the MC. It will outlast the BU especially in the interior and cosmetics. XStar has pull out carpet, wont rot or mildew up. XStar is a full lined top deck, not carpeted pieced together floor.
Lift up seats and look under things, you will see a difference. Little things like windshield supports solid SS vs hollow alum tubing with plastic caps. Jabsco ballast pumps vs Bass Pro Shops livewell pumps. Billet aluminum vs chrome that will pit on the dash. Those are minor things but it all adds up in the long haul.
OK now everyone blast me!

(Message edited by woreout on December 17, 2009)

(Message edited by woreout on December 17, 2009)
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-17-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
I have always heard that one other thing that the BU lacks on is the fuel pump or gas tank sending unit in that it is a plastic unit instead of a solid metal unit the Xstar/Mastercraft has. I love the BU wake but it all comes down to what everyone else has already said.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-17-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Both the '06 Malibu and Mastercraft burn fuel like no tomorrow when you get a good wake... Get an '06 SAN 210 it will have a great wake and great fuel economy!!
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-18-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
well of course its not stock!!!!!

its has the 4 tanks filled up, power wedge up half way,nd 10 peeps in the boat!!!

say the 10 people in the boat all weight 70kg(154pds) so whats that, 10x154=1540 pds

add the ballast 1250pds to the 1540pds and the power wedge your looking at 2790 pds+
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-21-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
FYI the '09 VLX is not the same as the '05-'08 VLX, the hull was changed and widend.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-21-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
we resolved that issue !!!!!!
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-21-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Ah, didn't see your second post about it.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-22-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
Is this thread still going. Oh well. VLX all the way. VLX handles better to me and has a lot more room in the interior and to me a better use of storage. The wake to me is sick and with the stock and wedge with a few people on the boat it is big enough for any pro-level rider.

The X-Star sucks gas, turns like a battle ship and I feel you have to put heavy weight in the bow to keep the bow down why pulling a boarder. The seating is cramped compaired to the VLX unless you like to sit in the bow.

I know the resale value of the MC is better, but I would rather have the boat that works better for me. Plus at this point nothing has a good resale value.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-23-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
One question. How come you are asking this question and selling an 06 X Star in the classified? Are you thinking of keeping it or thinking of buying a VLX?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-23-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
"Plus at this point nothing has a good resale value." So True...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-30-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
xstar