Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-26-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Out yesterday at the lake and I took a good one to the back of the head. Good hight bad result. I have not gone to the doc's so realy not even sure if I have a real concussion or not. dissyness, blured vision at times and headache. How long will this last or should I sack up and see a doc. Make's me think of wearing a helmet!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-26-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
Vertigo, blurred vision, headache, and bad spelling are all signs of a concussion.

If you have health insurance, see a doctor. Probably all you can do is rest and wait it out anyway. Riding in that condition would not be all that smart and you could do it again and make it alot worse.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-26-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
See a doc if you r still having a headache...Bleeds aren't to be taking lightly. Don't partake in any action sports for at least a week but def. see a doc!
Old    jolly_roger_wake            09-26-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
i remember reading about some guy getting a concussion then going out and riding the next day and having another hard hit and dying from it.

with that said, i've rode the day after a concussion both before and after reading that. i took it a lot easier, but still not a smart idea. at the time, my justification was summer's too short to sit it out. and here i sit at school substituting riding with reading a forum about other people riding...
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-26-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
yeah...you can actually give yourself serious brain damage riding on a concussion...dont be a moron.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Make's me think of wearing a helmet!

I reckon that this is where a helmet is most effective (other than hitting solid objects obviously). I have taken some big falls on my back and taken a major slap on the back of the head (and seen stars) then done much the same thing with a helmet and not had any pain.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
GO see a doctor! I had a bad concussion snowboarding and the doctors told me to wait 2 weeks to wakeboard again. But, the doctors told my mother to make sure I waited 2 weeks because they had a nurse at they're hospital get a concussion, then 2 days later he went wakeboarding had a hard fall and died on contact....I'm sure this is an extreme case but you can never be too careful with head injuries
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
It's called Second Impact Syndrome. Unfortunately it is not one of those rumors you hear about on the net. It's real and well documented. You need to wait at least a couple of weeks until you ride again.

I pulled the following out of "Clinics in Sports Medicine", July 2003

"What Saunders and Harbaugh [21] called the second impact syndrome of catastrophic head injury in 1984 was first described by Schneider [22] in 1973. The syndrome occurs when an athlete who sustains a head injury—often a concussion or worse injury, such as a cerebral contusion—sustains a second head injury before symptoms associated with the first have cleared.

Typically, the athlete suffers postconcussional symptoms after the first head injury. These may include visual, motor, or sensory changes, and difficulty with thought and memory processes. Before these symptoms resolve—which may take days or weeks—the athlete returns to competition and receives a second blow to the head.

The second blow may be remarkably minor, perhaps involving a blow to the chest, side, or back that merely snaps the athlete's head and imparts accelerative forces to the brain. Sometimes this second impact is unrecognized among the multiple hits that occur in each game of football. The athlete may appear stunned, but usually does not lose consciousness and often completes the play. The athlete usually remains on his feet for 15 seconds to a minute or so but seems dazed, like someone suffering from a grade 1 concussion without loss of consciousness [19] . Often the athlete remains on the playing field and sometimes walks off under his own power.

What happens in the next 15 seconds to several minutes sets this syndrome apart from a concussion or even a subdural hematoma. Usually within seconds to minutes of the second impact, the athlete, conscious though stunned, quite precipitously collapses to the ground, semicomatose with rapidly dilating pupils, loss of eye movement, and evidence of respiratory failure.

The pathophysiology of SIS is thought to involve a loss of autoregulation of the brain's blood supply. This loss of autoregulation leads to vascular engorgement within the cranium, which in turn markedly increases intracranial pressure and leads to herniation either of the medial surface (uncus) of the temporal lobe, or lobes below the tentorium, or the cerebellar tonsils through the foramen magnum. The usual time from second impact to brainstem failure is rapid—2 to 5 minutes. Once brain herniation and brainstem compromise occur, coma, ocular involvement, and respiratory failure ensue precipitously. This demise occurs far more rapidly than that usually seen with an epidural hematoma. This precipitous deterioration was seen in each of the three cases above."
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-26-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
Dam, to play it safe I'll see a Doc in the morning. Thank's everyone for the advice,This also make's me wonder why I never see anyone wearing a helmet at area's I ride. Two week's off is gonna kill me (no pun intended). Hopefully the Doc will tell me surfing is ok.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            09-26-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
hey bakes, great post, good info. i'll definetly be taking it easy next time i get a concussion.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
Bakes...Awesome....that is what i learned in nursing school and what I have been trying to tell people on this site. Well quoted. I wear a helmet because I am educated in these facts. Some think it's not cool. But how cool would it be to leave my 11 year old behind without a parent?