Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-30-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever use one of these in an cone type of array on a tower?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-525
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-01-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Clubmyke would be the guy to talk to. He dabbles with this kind of stuff and is familiar with Parts express. I would love to build my own set-up, I'll be paying close attention.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Clubmyke is definitely the guy, but those should work great. I've had a lot of luck with eminence products in the past. Plus their stuff is cheap. AFAIK the crossover is the really the most important part of making successful HLCD designs.

I had two of the dual voice coil 12's in my last X2 that sounded really great. I'm suprised more people don't use their subs. Some of them are great for mobile applications.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-01-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Could be a waste of time and money. Piecing together great components can still sound lousy. Off-the-shelf crossovers won't get it done.

To splice together a midmass driver with a tweeter you'll have to know the amplitude and impedance curves of both. Loading a compression driver into a horn will change the tweeter's parameters.

What's the horn's cut-off point? Where does it saturate? Crossover function is biased by impedance but the driver's impedance is not linear.

The midbass driver's VC inductance causes a profound impedance rise as the frequency increases so you may need a compensation network to nullify the effect so the crossover roll-off is as intended.

I've only scratched the surface with the above considerations.

If you're committed and if you do the research and you're doing it as a hobby, that's great.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
Hey Ty. Why is it? It seems like every other month or so you ask some question about some brand of whickety wack, will this work? or has anyone tryed this? question. Even since I have been on wake world it seems like you have been building or changing your system?? What up? Are you that guy in the hood that's always re-building sections of your house??
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-01-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
lol. this one i am not going to touch but it looked interesting. i like to post and learn...
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-01-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
what the heck is "whickety wack"??lol

I toy around with HT quite a bit and always want to learn.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-01-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
I believe the compression driver you show was used in the very first NVS Entity 1010's. Things changed a few years ago but those are a very strong driver.

When I built my own coaxial compression pro-audio tower setup I chose the phenolic drivers over the titanium. I find the phenolic drivers a bit more musical, but that's just me.

Newty/Guido, you might want to consider another source with a technical background. Maybe just call Eminence, they have great tech support, they were very helpful during the design of my system in 2005.

Here is a picture of my home brew pro-audio setup while I was experimenting with crossover settings (phasing and attenuation).

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
i have really incredible sound from my modded skylon deafon iv's.

it wasnt cheap but they are super loud and clear at 80' back ( the 2 zapco's 1100 running symbilink from a eclipse 8053 16v balanced head unit may have something to do with it).

i went with the following selection:

Beyma 8" 8MI @ $150
Selenium 210 Ti @ $35
Selenium 2V2K/350 @ $45
(the crossover is specific for the hcld).

I have to confess, I am NOT a big Eminence fan. There are much better European drivers available (B&C, Beyma, Selenium)

This is a great sounding setup and highly reccomended. they will only be limited by amp and overall setup.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-02-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
I was just throwing the idea out there because i have access to a pair of evid 6.2's for very cheap since the drivers are blown. the crossovers are still fine though even though they may need to be changed out. a tweeter like that would screw right into the tweeter mount. i still am a little apprehensive in touching this project though.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-02-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
your profile says your boatless? are you building a stereo for the future?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-02-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
i have a bot all picked out. will be in my garage soon
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
btw, typo on the beyma's - went with the 8g40 woofer
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
What the Eminence drivers lack in musicality, they make up for in price. They're a very affordable option. Besides, few people with horns on their tower are looking for fidelity. Usually just loads of noise.

You guys take the sound quality thing to the next level. I applaud you for your commitment. I'm either lazy, or have a touch of ADD. I let the boys at NVS do all the experimenting for me. LOL!!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
where do you think nvs got his "signature" series with the european drivers idea from ? :-)

the beyma's/b&c/selenium can get stupid loud(ie really "stupid loud")and stay clean. the emenience simply cant take clean high power and stay clean.

the big jump in price is the 8"-10" drivers. the hcld and crossovers are pretty comparable.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
ClubMyke, are those the beyma midranges in the pic? where are the horns in that setup?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2009, 1:17 AM Reply   
Isaac, that is my picture. That is an Eminence Beta 8cx and Alpha 8 combo.

Ty,

The Evid tweeter is not screwed into the housing, nor is it a compression driver. It's a simple ferrofluid cooled titanium dome mounted in a little wave guide. It's glued into the housing from the back. The mid/bass units are 6" cone drivers.

Here is a picture of a thrashed tweeter out of an Evid. I have replaced them. You need to find something in the 93+db range or they sound dull, you also need to find something that handles 50+ watts of power at 4khz.

Upload
Upload
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-04-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
i have taken one aprat before and you are exactly correct. I thought that the the stem or mounting hole could receive the compression tweeter easiley or with slight modification. What do you think?