Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
on a boat that is a 2000 model is 600 too many?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Not at all. I have 750 on my 05 Malibu and it runs like new.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
100 can be too many if the boat wasn't cared for. A boat with 600 has a LOT of life left. Would not scare me away at all if the boat has been cared for and well maintained.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
That sounds like a great number of hours. Enough each season but not overused. I'd be more worried if it had 100 hours on it.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
600 hours in 9 years,...9 years are 78840 hours i guess the answer is NO.
P.s most engines have the heads/block rebuild at aprox 2500 - 3000 hours,so you,re fine. If you continue to use the boat that much you,ll be fine untill the year 2036. LOL
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
A rule of thumb I have heard, a well maintained drive train will last 2000-3000 hours before you generally need major overhauls in the tranny or engine. So at that rate of use (~75 hrs / yr), your engine and tranny should be pretty solid for another 18 to 32 years.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
my boat has 120 hours bought it new last summer and iv had the v drive go out, and a seal blew out lol, so its like a car, some are bad and some are amazing, its all luck basiclly, my buddys 08 x star v drive shifted and stretchcracked the hull, so he says
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Didn't see your post Ben when I typed mine out, and as Andy points out, the 2000-3000 hour assumes no defects, routine use, and proper maintenance.
Old    shooter_08            02-09-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
What about 1600 on a 2004? The owner says half of the hours are at idle speed. (I guess the hour meter keeps track). It sounds like the boat is well cared for but I'm thinking no go considering it is close to the 2000 hour mark Atthelake points out.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
1600 on a "04" ? I would have to see the maint. records.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
A lot of the issue is whether the boat was well taken care of. Hours are a matter of perspective. An older friend of mine has a sizable SeaRay (twin engines and 200 gallon tank are the only numbers I hear, but I’d guess in the 30 to 40 feet range). If he logs 15 hours in a season, he says he’s used his boat all summer. He leaves his the slip, drives a short distance to anchor among a large flotilla of other boats which are going to be at anchor all day, and doesn’t pull anchor until he makes a direct return in the evening. Burning fuel is not his thrill.

I’m putting about 80 hours a season on my boat (which evidently is not enough, I really can’t show a lot for that much time on the water). While we’ve tried to get together more often, he’s a busy guy and has only gotten a chance to be out with me just once, and on a very raw windy drizzly day. Nevertheless, he loved driving my V-drive. And we had to trailer my boat on a very exposed ramp, with white caps coming in on a rear corner of the boat. My regular driver made three attempts but had to bail on each one for being blown/washed off at a bad angle. But crazy, we switched drivers, and the SeaRay owner parked it gently on his first try, as if he’d been doing it all his life. Who’d a thought it?
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-09-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Maintenance, how the boat has been stored, and how the boat has been cared for are all way more important than hours. Another major factor if you talk to people that work on them is how long the boat goes unused. A boat that sits all winter is more prone to failure than a boat that gets used regularly. Our '07 VLX has 730 hours on it. All maintenance has been done like clockwork, and it has always been stored indoors. It never has sat for more than two weeks without hitting the water. It's in great shape, and it's an awesome boat. I'll drive it until it won't go any more, then rebuild the powertrain and drive it some more.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-09-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
"The owner says half of the hours are at idle speed."

It's never been smoked, lied or cussed in either, has it?
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-09-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
What about 750 on an '03 Response LXi?
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
shooter 08
a diagnostic tool (diacom) will tell you excactly how those 1600 hours are build up.
It shows all hours in different Rpm range.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-10-2009, 1:28 AM Reply   

quote:

It's never been smoked, lied or cussed in either, has it?

Hahahhaa... Good one!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2009, 4:40 AM Reply   
600 hrs on a 2000 in nothing, as long as it has been taken care of. i have just over 900 on my 2000 and it's in a lot better shape than some newer boats with far less hours that i've seen.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       02-10-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
"The owner says half of the hours are at idle speed."

And I bet it was only driven to church on Sundays which happens to be downhill both ways!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-10-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Tim alot of people with there boats do idle. accually everbody on my lake just idles around on there vlx, and x-star, i dont know whats wrong with them but i think alot of people just buy the boat to have it.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
I've always felt that it's better to evaluate the structure of a high hour boat, than solely concentrating on the engine. Engines are easy to rebuild or replace. Do the normal engine evaluation (compression checks, spark plug examine, etc....).

But, stress cracks, electronics not working properly, interior in poor condition, paint, etc....can add up to being more expensive to restore than the engine

just my 2 cents
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
just curious as to what % does eveyone think the majority of wakeboat hours are actually at idle speeds or, with the engine not even running (just the key turned forward to listen to the stereo...i myself try to always turn it backwards). i probably would say that my hours are roughly 15-25% at idle, or with the key just turned forward. who knows though, i could be way off.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-10-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
It depends on where you use your boat.

In WA, Lake Washington is only good riding in the early morning during the summer. The rest of the time it is super rough. However, there are a bunch of restuarants and party spots to idle to. When I had my boat there, I spent a lot of time ideling around on weekends and afternoons.

Now that I moved to a remote spot on the Puget Sound, there are no close places to idle to. Most all my time is spent either riding or going somewhere at a decent speed.

When you are buying a boat from someone, having a good mechanic check it out is the best thing you can do.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-10-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
unless we're at the launch or recovering a down rider, my boat is not at idle.

You gotta do your homework regardless of what the boat's hr meter says. Anyone willing to believe the seller and the hour meter is just waiting to get boned.