Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
took my second lesson yesterday.
i starting my 3rd WB season this year and want to land a tantrum this summer. so took some lessons at a gymnatics gym to learn back tucks and eventyally back layouts(essecially a tantrum)
Audreys been taking them for a year for the same reason. air sense, body control, comfortable upside down, and for tantrum training etc.
they train us allitle different knowing were there for wakeboarding. like arm to the side (to hold rope) instead of straight up. audrey has also taken a rope and tramp board in there. and once we get these back layouts we will add a board. ive got a long way to go
i think we pay $30 an hour. not bad.

just curious if anyone else droped there man pride and took gymnastics for wakeboarding cross training?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-07-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Auburn University Gymnastics offers a full tramp gym with foam pits etc to the general student population for like $10 an hour... some of our crew has hit that up. Never any formal gymnastics training that I know of though.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
gotcha that sounds nice! this is a full gym as well probly 12+ professional tramps of all different size and bouncyness (they have a yellow mesh one thats INSANLY high, you can touch the 20' ceiling) foam pit etc. the $30 also includes the proffesional couch helping just you in a private lesson. seems fair for facility usage+private coach.

just curious if anyone else had done it and what they worked on, and if they thought it really advances there riding over just trying stuff on the water.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
If you reach level 10 gymnastics status you nearly guaranteed a sponsorship
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-07-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
at the local YMCA, they have an open gymnastics time late on tuesdays, a buddy and I went for a month or two. Worked on some flip/spin type stuff, just getting comfortable with different inverts and one of the gymnastics teachers was around to spot/give advice.
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
I've had a similar experience at Woodward at Copper. It's a snowboard facility, but I've had a few sessions where I've just worked with one of the coaches on the tramps into the foam pit. Definitely has helped me with air awareness, and it's a lot of fun too.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
maybe get comfortable going up side down in the gym and then get your own trampoline and practice the variations. save you some coin.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-08-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
ive had a 14' tramp for awhile. too chicken to flip.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
just stand there and do a front flip/somersault.. you'll land on your butt, and then if you add a jump to it you'd be surprised at how easy it is. the first back flip is a gut wrencher tho, but it's actually easier once you get it
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
yeah get some beers in you and sack up.lol i hope you have a net on your trampoline
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
on a more serious note i used to take gymnastic for diving. it was fun and helped a bit. things like throwing double fronts, double gainers etc. it just shows you how to put your body in correct form and to use your knees instead of your back to create momentum. the thing is it helped me somewhat but for diving i learned more to flip straight up and over and with my knees together. etc. but on a wakeboard you have momentum already and you use the wake to drive alot of your flips. Gym will help you concur your fear of getting upside down and more confident.

ok i know this is alittle bit farther than you want to take it but what helped me the most with my flipping is taking it to the next level in the water. running gainers of bridges etc. it doesnt have to be high but just out of your comfort zone. it really makes doing stuff on a wakeboard alot less scary, because every trick you try is out of your comfort zone on the board.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-08-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
no net. i thought about having the g/f stand there with a couch cushion in case i fly off.

ive actually attempted 4-5 tantrums on the water while riding. completed the flip but couldnt ride away. wasnt scared at all to try that. for some reason im scared to try it on the tramp.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-08-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
I just recently learned to flip on a tramp, so an old dog can learn new tricks! I went to a place that has their entire floor that's trampolines www.jumpskyhigh.com and had a friend coach me. I did as described above for the front flip, and learned that pretty quickly. The back flip took more nerve for me, but ultimately you just have to go for it. One thing that helped me was that it doesn't take much of a bounce to get around. One small jump and you can get around (see video below). That was easier for me than trying a big flip the first time. Just go for it and try to spot your landing and your body will get you around, you just have to commit. Also, it helps to make sure you are jumping up, and not traveling backwards too much. Not only will it keep you on the tramp, but you will actually get better pop. I also considered starting on a diving board, but never did that.

This may help too: http://tramptricks.com/flips/how-to-...the-trampoline it helped me.

Anyway to your question, I had the same thoguht as you on gymnastics training, but just couldn't find anywhere locally to do it, so I enlisted a friend to come to Sky High with me. That place you found sounds great.

Last edited by nmcjr; 04-08-2010 at 1:26 PM. Reason: spelling