Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-30-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am trying to add more bass to my boat. I currently have 2 JL Audio 10 inch Infinite Baffle marine subs. I want to add a third sub and have built a 1.0 cubic foot enclosure to fit perfectly in front of the driver's legs. It is contoured to match my console. I originally built it for a 10w6v2 sub but have read some about the SPG 555. I have read that it is an amazing sub. Anybody have any expeirence with it? I am still leaning toward the JL as the rest of my components including the free airs are all JL. I am thinking it will accoustically match better. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Old    mojo            10-30-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
i have a 10w6v2 in a sealed enclosure run off JL slash 500/1 in my truck that beats down and hits every note. i would think it would handle well in the boat too.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-30-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think that spg 555 has the surface area of a 13" sub so not a real apples to apples comparisson with the 10" W6. If you're looking for the most bang for your 1 cu ft space I don't think you can beat that 555. Not sure how it will blend with 2 IB subs though. I would think if you do it you definitely want to run it off a different amp than the IB sub for tuning purposes. w6's are great subs as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-30-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yeah the surface area is like 506 to 555 cm2 on the two subs. I'd go with the BA for sure if it were me but I like Nu would have concerns in tuning either sub alongside the other two preexisitng subs that are infinite baffle. I've been interested in the SPG 555 for a long time. If the right deal came along I'd probably pop for a couple of them.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-30-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
The Boston Acoustics SPG555 is a great sound quality subwoofer and its a little more sensitive than you would think from this type woofer. One thing about the B.A. subs is they are very unforgiving when you deviate from the recommended enclosure volumes that are stated as gross internal volume (excluding driver displacement). 1 cu.ft. sealed or 2.5 cu.ft. ported without the port volume and construction. For getting more output in a boat the GTR passive radiator makes a night and day difference and doesn't require more displacement than sealed. If you have the baffle surface area then the PBR is highly recommended. The concerns are the foam surround if its getting a constant dose of UV. If its concealed then this is a non-issue. And, you'll have to do something custom for a grill.
The JL Audio 10W6 is no less than fantastic in a bass-reflex enclosure that requires 1.16 cu ft. gross internal displacement without the port volume so no way that will work. It requires .7 cu.ft. internal gross for sealed. So the internal volume would have to be reduced a little. A grill is available that can easily be spray dyed white.
For 1 cu.ft. the ideal solution would be dual JL Audio marine 'W' series 10-inch woofers (for sealed use) if you have the baffle surface area. That would provide alot of piston and matching cosmetics plus the construction needed for longterm UV exposure.
The JL Audio slimline 13-inch is also worth considering as it has a butyl rubber surround and likes a net internal displacment of .8 cu ft.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
David,

Thanks for the information. I can reduce the internal volume to .7 or .8. If I were to do that, how do you think the 13 inch slimeline would compare to the 10w6 for SQ, output, and matching up with the other JL IB subs? I really appreciate your thoughts.
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-31-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorx4 View Post
David,

Thanks for the information. I can reduce the internal volume to .7 or .8. If I were to do that, how do you think the 13 inch slimeline would compare to the 10w6 for SQ, output, and matching up with the other JL IB subs? I really appreciate your thoughts.
Also, I don't have the surface area for 2 10's. So I can't go with the 2 JL marine subs. You say the 10w6 is fantastic in a bass reflex, how is it in a sealed at .7 internal volume? Thanks again David.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-01-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
George,
If you already have two IB woofers and you're far from satisfied then I realize that you will expect the new addition to do the bulk of the work, so it better be something very powerful.
In an ideal situation I would prefer two of the JL marine sealed woofers (excluded because of mounting surface area) or the JL 10W6 in a bass-reflex enclosure (excluded because of enclosure displacement). Either of these would provide alot of radiating piston area and a high degree of responsiveness. Keep in mind that a bass-reflex enclosure can have the same impact as doubling your radiating area and doubling the sensitivity.
Between the 10W6 and 13TW5 in a sealed enclosure, I think that is an easy choice. The 13.5-inch 13TW5 has 93 percent more piston area, is greater than 2dB more sensitve and will use more of your available enclosure displacement (providing a lower resonance once put to task). Btw, this slimline speaker has a 7-inch voice coil and demonstrates none of the typical shortcomings of other slimline woofers. Sound quality is excellent in every respect.
I like the fact that it has a butyl rubber surround for direct UV exposure. One sidenote though, this woofer demands that you have an absolutely airtight enclosure if you want it to live up to its full potential. No compromise in this case. This means that when you press on the woofer it should not move at. Easily stated but a little harder to execute.

David
Earmark Marine