Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Ok I finally decided to give Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner a try on the recommendation of a couple well respected members here. I think many here know that I am very anal about my boat especially my vinyl. I constantly wipe it down while out on the lake and always use Babes after each use. I have been using Exquisite and a mild brush for the last two seasons for my weekly deep cleaning and was very excited and pleased with the results..
Hello All,

Reviving an old thread, but I am a recent convert to Malco!
I posted a bit of the 1st post on this thread, and this post is the reason I decided to try it.
If you missed this thread when new, the first page is worth going back to read.
The first page.

Here is the link to the original thread:
"Results are in on the best vinyl cleaner"
I added my reply to to bottom of the thread, but I guess since it was in the archives, it didn't show up on the recent posts, so I decided to start a new thread.

Seriously HateNPain, 'weekly deep cleaning'... wow!
Your recommendation was the one that made me try Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner.

The boat has been in outdoor storage with the transom literally hanging over a seawall, with the original 12 year old cover on it, for 2 years.
Mildew ran rampant. It has been 2 1/2 years since it was cleaned.

BTW, I did all of this with one hand (I had a beer in the other hand).
Don't try this at home, I'm a professional.

First, this is the juice:

Click here for Malco Website

Before:
well, I had just sprayed it down with the Malco, and took a few swipes with the brush on it.
The left side of the picture didn't even get hit with the brush, so you can kind of tell what it looked like before I sprayed / brushed it.
I let it soak for about 1 minute.

During:
I took a paper towel, and took a swipe at it....

After:
I sprayed it off with a garden hose, (the dirt literally washed off, without rubbing), then I hit it with some 303...

WOW!

All this in less than 5 minutes with one hand! I didn't even get the beer finished!

Thanks HateNPain for the write up, you saved me alot of work, and possibly the $$ on a new interior!

Looks and feels new... the seat looked worse than the before picture shows, and now looks better than the after picture!

Malco is not easy to find, but well worth it.

I figure the rest of the boat is a 4 beer project, but I don't want to rush it... so maybe a 6 pack?
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-03-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
Im pretty sure this post is bogus.

Above you claim to be a professional but yet it took you ~5 minutes to finish a beer.

Anyone else see the inconsistency here?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-03-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Wow those results are incredible!
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post

Above you claim to be a professional but yet it took you ~5 minutes to finish a beer.

ROFL, point taken!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Those are great results!!! I usually give mine a good cleaning about 3 times during the season to keep the suntan lotion off. At the end of the year, I do a full detail on everything that take about a week to complete.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Seriously HateNPain, 'weekly deep cleaning'... wow!
I actually do a deep cleaning every Wednesday. I don't use Malco everytime but she gets cleaned and waxed (above the rub rail) once a week. I only steam clean the carpets once or twice a month though.

I'm glad that you had such great results, Malco makes several great products. I recently started using the showroom shine spray detailer on our cars and love it. I can do my wifes entire car between 5 and 10 minutes.

Smitty, nice work
Old    ScottRobinson            09-03-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Where can you buy this stuff at? The link goes to the Malco site but I can't buy it from there? Am I missing something?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-03-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Was that cushion really out of your boat or another abused boat (sorry, but that is pretty bad)?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-03-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
hate - what steam cleaner do u use?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Scott, if you want to order it from them you can get the Presta version which is identical as they are the same company. Here is a link http://www.prestaproducts.com/Marine...cals-list.aspx otherwise go on the dealer locater and find a distributor close to you. Thats the best route as the dealers are likely to hook you up with free stuff and or a better deal.

Brian, to call it a steam cleaner isn't fair. I use the Bissell spot bot with oxy clean powder and super hot water. It works great, I can do my boat in about 20 minutes. My freind does carpets on the side and did my boats at the begining of the year and to be honest I cant tell a difference. There probably was but visually I can't see a difference.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-03-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Check your local Upholstry Shop. Ours carries Malco Products. Also, I read on here about a product Called "Totally awesome" that is sold at most local Dollar stores. Some here feel it's the same product as Malco. I went to the dollar store, picked up a couple bottles, and gave her a shot. I swear this stuff cleans just the same as Malco, but it's a buck, not 12.50
It's in a clear bottle, yellowish in color with red writing on the outside.

\
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Check Auto Detailers for Malco products.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-03-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Those in the know around here know I am the original Malco "pusher" on WW. It's nice to be able to turn my fellow WW'ers on to the outstanding products I have come to trust after making a living working on all sorts of vehicles for my entire adult life! (I wont say how many years cuz it's more than most of the members ages on this site lol)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
LOL, I was wondering if you would chime in because I didn't give you props this time.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-03-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
I got some of the dollar store stuff but hav'nt had a chance to try it side by side. Hopefully Sunday I will, I'll report my findings but I believe Diggs has had very good luck and he thinks its the same stuff re-branded. It does look and smell the same for sure.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       09-03-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
A lot of cleaners work great, but has anyone used this stuff for a long period of time? Just wondering if it dries out the material/stitching over time...never used it so I don't have any idea.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Was that cushion really out of your boat or another abused boat (sorry, but that is pretty bad)?
Yes, I'm very proud to say, MY boat!

In my defense, the neglect was not my fault!
A year and a half after my divorce was finalized, My ex-wife returned to finish cleaning me out.

The boat (along with everything else I had acquired before meeting her) was being seized to sell at auction.
It didn't matter that I had a loan on the boat, and the boat was collateral against the loan... and I was unable to pay the loan.
Her SOB lawyer wanted to buy my boat for $1k at auction, so he had a boat. I would still have to pay the loan off.

Anyways, after informing the lienholder of the situation, the lienholder seized the boat due to nonpayment of the loan, and the boat went on a 2 year vacation, out of state.
I was not hiding the boat, I told them exactly where it was, and if they want it, they can go get it. It was no longer in my control.
I guess since the boat was not on a trailer in my driveway, it was too much of a hassle to go get. (woot!)

The boat has sat 2 years now, outside, with the original 12 year-old leaking cover, and the transom literally hanging over a seawall, next to the ocean.
Mildew has run rampant.

Good news:
1) I got the boat back!
2) I got rid of the ex!

A win-win, all the way around!

Now, the boat is getting refurbished / updated / improved, and will be better than new when it hits the water next spring.
(it was supposed to be this spring, but I decided to do a lot more than just cleaning the seats)

I can't wait for the victory fly-by, with both fingers raised high in the air!
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-04-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty2469 View Post
Yes, I'm very proud to say, MY boat!

In my defense, the neglect was not my fault!
A year and a half after my divorce was finalized, My ex-wife returned to finish cleaning me out.

The boat (along with everything else I had acquired before meeting her) was being seized to sell at auction.
It didn't matter that I had a loan on the boat, and the boat was collateral against the loan... and I was unable to pay the loan.
Her SOB lawyer wanted to buy my boat for $1k at auction, so he had a boat. I would still have to pay the loan off.

Anyways, after informing the lienholder of the situation, the lienholder seized the boat due to nonpayment of the loan, and the boat went on a 2 year vacation, out of state.
I was not hiding the boat, I told them exactly where it was, and if they want it, they can go get it. It was no longer in my control.
I guess since the boat was not on a trailer in my driveway, it was too much of a hassle to go get. (woot!)

The boat has sat 2 years now, outside, with the original 12 year-old leaking cover, and the transom literally hanging over a seawall, next to the ocean.
Mildew has run rampant.

Good news:
1) I got the boat back!
2) I got rid of the ex!

A win-win, all the way around!

Now, the boat is getting refurbished / updated / improved, and will be better than new when it hits the water next spring.
(it was supposed to be this spring, but I decided to do a lot more than just cleaning the seats)

I can't wait for the victory fly-by, with both fingers raised high in the air!
Nice to see you get a win.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1258 View Post

Ok Smitty...

I cleaned a bit of another cushion tonight, just for you.
This one, I think, was previously mildewed before all the drama started...

I did start with a fresh beer this time, and keeping with my boat - cleaning tradition, only used one hand.

Here is the observer's seat:

Before:
Note the time, and the fresh beer.

During:
(no scrubbing, busy drinking)

After:
Note the time, the beer, and the seat, 1 wipe with a paper towel.

It obviously needs more work, and some scrubbing.
I am not sure that the black spots on top of the seat will come out, or not.
I think maybe because people sit there to get out of the wind, that suntan lotion or oils contributed to the mildew there.

I think that if I keep up the 1 beer / 1 seat / 1 minute pace up, I should be out of rehab by spring, and have a pretty, shiny boat to drink diet soda in.

I believe I have also proven that when you drink beer, it not only cools you off, but the surrounding air.
Note the temperature dropped from 86.4 to 86.2 degrees in 1 minute.
If I kept this pace up, I would be downright comfortable in less than 15 minutes!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Today I cleaned all of my upholstery with the Dollar Store "Totally Awesome". .... This stuff is indeed Totally Awesome! My upholstery really wasn't that dirty to begin with, or so I thought. Now it is showroom new. The whites are so white that it literally looks better than it did when I bought it new. This stuff also leaves the vinyl feeling soft and supple.

A complete scrub down will definitely become part of my annual routine. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.
Old     (12blindside12)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-06-2010, 3:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauty View Post
Today I cleaned all of my upholstery with the Dollar Store "Totally Awesome". .... This stuff is indeed Totally Awesome! My upholstery really wasn't that dirty to begin with, or so I thought. Now it is showroom new. The whites are so white that it literally looks better than it did when I bought it new. This stuff also leaves the vinyl feeling soft and supple.

A complete scrub down will definitely become part of my annual routine. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.
You might want to give it a coat of 303 or equivilant protectant to keep it soft and stop UV damage.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-02-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Just adding to this in case someone makes the same mistake.... Dont let it set for too long. I used it on my leather couches and while it worked great one patch of leather that i left a bit long now has run marks etched into the leather.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-02-2011, 11:35 PM Reply   
Malco is the shizzz but what the hell happend to that boat, that's rediculous.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-03-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Malco is the shizzz but what the hell happend to that boat, that's rediculous.
Neglect during / following divorce.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-03-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
never can find the product locally and ordering online is a fortune because of shipping
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Mark, try to see if you can find a local guy that sales to car dealerships or something. Thats the way I had to do it. A pain but it worked.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-03-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
In the Seattle Area we have the Malco products carried by Peterbuilt Trucks. Might try a local Peterbuilt truck location. They had excellent prices too.
Old    mojo            03-18-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
What was your t.a. To h20 ratio?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
I go straight up.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
I ordered a bottle of Malco, I can't wait to give it a try once I get the boat out of hibernation next week.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
Yeah well once you try it you will be sold!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-19-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
Frosty,
With your beer drinking ability to cool the weather, can you get out this way say around august?
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Dave,

I will be in training this June and July, so I should be ready for August!