Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rastaman3030)      Join Date: May 2007       05-01-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I'm a first time wakesurfer, not first time surfer however. We just picked up an '07 Seadoo Speedster 155hp. It's 15' long and weights in at about 1,475pounds.

I've done the search and read one thread about SeaDoo boats and Wakesurfing but I don't want to go blow $300 on a board if I won't stay afloat with out some serious pumping!

I've attached a picture of my friend trying it behind my boat with my 4'10 skimboard...it's a really skinny board.

Will wakesurfing work behind my boat? If so, what boards would you recommend. I weight in at 155 pounds. How about the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6"? or the even bigger Landlock?

Please help! http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Rastaman3030/5-1-2007-04.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Rastaman3030/5-1-2007-03.jpg
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-02-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
honestly i don't think you will be able to surf it, the boat is small, you need a big boat with alot of weight to create a solid enough wave to push you

you might be able to do it on like an 8' long board or something?
Old     (rastaman3030)      Join Date: May 2007       05-02-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
ok thanks for the response man, i appreciate it.

Is there anyone with experience on here with the SeaDoo boats? With the skimboard, I pumped as hard as i could and was able to stay in the wave without the handle until my legs got tired.

How floaty is the Hyperlite Landlock 5'11? ... that looks like it'll be my best bet, if even that works
Old    surfdad            05-02-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
It really doesn't require a huge wake to surf, but as you are concluding in your last post Brandon, it does require a properly sized board. In this picture we ran my Tige with no ballast and you can see that the kids can surf both sides of the wake. In this picture, the wake is much smaller than your SeaDoo. It's not quality surfing, don't get me wrong, but it's doable.

Personally, I believe that in small and/or mushy conditions like the wake in this picture and what you have with the SeaDoo, thickness has a big role to play.

At 155, a good solid 5'6" board would work for you, (Inland Blue or Red, Shred Stixx Stixxstreme in a 5'6" to 5'8"). You might also check out a Shred Stixx JaMako (thicker and wider) or a Walker Project Composite X in 5'0"

Upload
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
What about the big 23 foot sea doo with ballast tanks? I've been thinking about this boat due to the fact that I live on saltwater.
Old     (rastaman3030)      Join Date: May 2007       05-02-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Jeff, Thanks abunch for the friendly reply and the picture, thats awesome! Looks like my little boat will work afterall, not ideal but it'll get me out there!
Old    surfdad            05-02-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
You bet Brandon, like you say, won't be the best, but it's doable.

Matthew, over the years we've surfed a BUNCH of hulls. With a big enough board, and some weight on the craft, you can actually surf a PWC. Again, it's NOT QUALITY but it can be done. If you happen to own the 23 SeaDoo and already have...say a Red Tide...sure, you can surf that 23 Sea, but if you're hoping to bust airs, or really build skills, that boat won't cut it.

One thing about Salt Water, it's substantially more bouyant and boards ride different in salt water compared to the fresh water we normally surf on. I don't have enough experience with wakesurfing in salt water to guide you, but folks like Jerry Price of Shred Stixx can probably help with board selection.
Old     (rastaman3030)      Join Date: May 2007       05-02-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
One more question Jeff ... or anyone else who can answer

I'm looking at getting either the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" or the Hyperlite Landlock 5'11". I'd rather get the smaller Broadcast because it would be funner, but by using the search I've heard they're both for beginner and that they're not floaty.

Do you think the 5'6" would work well enough for my wake or will I have to go all the way up to the 5'11 to be cruisin without the handle?

Thanks again
Old    surfdad            05-02-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
There is a phenomenon discussed frequently here on WW. Newbies typically have difficulty on a smaller board (smaller here being relative). Then they get on a bigger board, get some miles under their belt and the NEXT YEAR, the original smaller board can be ridden without much trouble.

If you are just starting out, I think you'll find a BIGGER board easier to learn on, especially on a smaller wake. Then NEXT YEAR...you'll be stepping down. :-)

In my experience, I'd probably recommend the longer board to start with...OR if you can claim to be a patient person, the 5'6" could do you as a first board.

Although, I personally would choose a board that was thicker and faster than the two HL models you're discussing.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-02-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
The Inland Surfer Blue is a really good first board. If bigger boards are better for smaller wakes then the Red is still better.

I rode the JaMako a few weeks ago but on a monster wake. I think the JaMako would be a great board for your first year and following years.
Old     (ktownrider)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
Brandon that looks a lot like Meydenbauer bay...where are you from? I live in Kenmore and ride up in the Northend. I would also recommend the Inland Surfer Blue, fun board and very fast. Plus, it's good to support the local guys. Or, if you have some surfing experience you might want to try riding a fish board. My brother, at 200 lbs, had a lot of trouble on wakesurfing boards and finally tried riding on a new fish, somewhere around 6 feet tall, and loved it.
Old     (rastaman3030)      Join Date: May 2007       05-02-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Jeff and Edward thanks for the info ... i think i'm going to go the patient route and go with the bigger board if I decide on Hyperlite for this summer and move down in size for next year!

Scott, yeah that was taken in Meydenbauer bay, I'm from Mercer Island but I go to school at Seattle Pacific University. That's awesome to see another local to Lake Washington on here! Are the Inland Surfer boards produced in the NW or are you talkin' about local shop support? I'm ganna look into the fish type boards because I do have a little surfing experience under my belt. Thanks for the tips man!
Old     (ktownrider)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
yea they're based out of Lake Sammamish. very good people too
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thanks surfdad. I grew up surfing. I have quiver of boards ranging from 5'6 up to 10'. I am mainly looking the 23 foot boat for family outings on the sound with friends and such. I really want one of the salt water series master crafts. But I do not want to drop 80 grand for a boat that's mainly a wakeboarding boat. Plus, being in shallow water alot I'm a little afraid of bending the drive shaft. Maybe I'd never do it. With regards to wakesurfing, I mainly want to do that to beat the summer slat doldrums that we have here on the Gulf of Mexico (although we did have nice little thigh high groundswell pushing through today). So the boat I get has to have a dual purpose. First is family fun and secondly to allow me to go surfing. But thanks.
Old     (scottandcass)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-01-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
I added a 300# bag under the engine cover and had 3 guys in the boat, running approximately 10mphand produced the surfwake you see in the pics behind a 15' Seadoo or 150 Speedster, whatever you want to call it. I was still under capacity and no-one sitting illegally....in any case, the 150 does surf. Don't mind the 6'deep, orange Florida "Ice Tea" water....and yes, I was able to ride back from nearly getting washed out the back on the second pic. I'm 210# riding a 5'6" board. Was it the ultimate???No, but was it fun and could I ride as long as I wanted...YES!!!
Attached Images

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-01-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Any I thought I rode in some nasty looking water.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman3030 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a first time wakesurfer, not first time surfer however. We just picked up an '07 Seadoo Speedster 155hp. It's 15' long and weights in at about 1,475pounds.

I've done the search and read one thread about SeaDoo boats and Wakesurfing but I don't want to go blow $300 on a board if I won't stay afloat with out some serious pumping!

I've attached a picture of my friend trying it behind my boat with my 4'10 skimboard...it's a really skinny board.

Will wakesurfing work behind my boat? If so, what boards would you recommend. I weight in at 155 pounds. How about the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6"? or the even bigger Landlock?

Please help! http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Rastaman3030/5-1-2007-04.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Rastaman3030/5-1-2007-03.jpg
Forget about the Hyperlite. It may be the right size but they are SLOW. With a small and probably mushy wave you need a good size board that is still FAST. Look at the Inland Surfer Blue Lake or Red Woody. Bigger size and much faster than the Hyperlite. I have owned the HL 5'11" and have surfed the 5'6" one. I also still own the IS Blue and Red. There is no comparison between the HL and IS boards. I know you will pay a bit more money for the IS boards but you will not regret it.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-09-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
i would get an uber fast, super large board, that way everyone can enjoy, plus the wave is going to be limited, so enjoy it as much as possible, the larger board will help you not hurt. there is a guy at our lake who always borrows a board on the weekends for his yamaha. he has a broadcast and always asks to borrow a board for his friends. good luck