Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Hey all - Well this has pretty much been the best Minnesota summer ever for me and my group. My girlfriend and I bought our first inboard a 1987 Supra SunSport. Used an I/O Glastron for years and years.

I have been posting my progress there over on the boats forum, and I also have a gallery under this name on Wakeboarder.

I'm still working on getting the wakeboard wake to be big and peaky enough for me, but I have been having a GREAT time finally getting to surf!

The SunSport is an open bow, 19'6" long w/ 95"beam weighs 2225lbs dry. Just got done with installation of a simple ballast system. Two FlyHigh locker sacs 400lbs each (one in rear ski locker, one under rear seat) and a 680lb FlyHigh sac on the rear port floor. Put a couple people on the port rail and the wave is above waist high and clean. Pocket goes all 20' back on the rope.

I am 5'7" 160lbs. Other main rider is 6'10" 200lbs. We have demoed a few boards but selection is limited. LF Venture 5'6", Hyp Broadcast 5'6" and Landlock 5'11" I was selected as the June winner at Inland Surfer for a 4'5" black Four-Skim! Should be here any day! Woohoo!

These are great older boats. So far I don't think it has quite the killer steep wake of the 1980s Nauti2001s. But the surf wake is great. The boat has a TON of freeboard room and can be weighted to the max and never take a wave over the bow. Tons of storage and the ballast system is totally hidden except for the surf bag.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
No real tricks yet but one of those pics above was hanging 5 just a second before, dang slow digi cam. Floaters are also pretty easy.

The broadcast was slippery enough to 180 but it was very unstable too and if you edged wrong you bailed right out the toe- or heel-side.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
Couple of pics of the Venture. It rode okay, but wasn't really very fast or boyant. I've heard people can snap 3's on this board but I couldn't...can't remember how the fin setup was, maybe there's a middle fin to be removed.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
No comments? Going to the cabin for the weekend tonight w/ the boat. Just got my Inland Surfer delivered to the door 4'5" Black Skim! Haven't even seen it yet...
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-29-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
What a weekend.

Upload
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
nice going..we just started wakesurfing too....what do think of that Is skim board....and how does it ride compared to the hyp broadcast(which we have)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-31-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
Real quick more...
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by wakemikey on July 31, 2008)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-31-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-03-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Looking good guys :-) I hope to meet ya someday soon.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-03-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
Mike Z - Looks like you got a good thing goin too! I bumped into some guys with a Launch, maybe like a 93-95 or so I wanna say? Not sure. A bit older than yours I would guess. Then there's the ol' man with the brand new 24v on my river OMG...Nothing but good times so far with the Sup'!

I do like the IS Skim, although it is on the small side. It is fast and rides the wave well. The sweet spot on the board is a bit small and it is a bit slippery. I was thinking of trying a slightly larger fin.

Breaking it loose is effortless. I can spin 3's with the handle, both on the wave and in the flats. 3's w/o the handle I'm just digging my tip in when I am like 270 degrees around. Pretty fun. Also trying 180's and half-cabs with the handle while slashin the wake. Floater-to-180-out with handle is fun.

But at the same time it requires a pretty large wave to keep me goin and I'm only 165. I was out yesterday with only two girls in boat plus my ballast (~800lbs in rear + 680lbs in a rear port side sac) and I couldn't really catch it. Real windy though too. Dumb weather I should be out right now grrrrrrrr....

I rode the 08 broadcast and it's pretty tough to compare since they are so different. The broadcast is kinda slippery already I bet if it had no fins or smaller fins you could 360 it. Maybe...:-)

I do like the IS and if I could try the Blue Lake I certainly would. It is different construction and a much faster board.

Don - Thanks for checkin it out! I've been lurking the MN3 thread and it looks like you've got your wave down too. I really really wanna hit your wakeboard wake one time. :-) I just can't get mine dialed quite right...How much weight do you run? Do you have any threads of your own where you post your pics? I enjoy keeping a 'pic diary' thread.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-03-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   

We switched the surf sac over to starboard to let our goofy rider get a good set in. He normally rides heelside on the port wave. He rides our wakeboards backwards too lol.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-03-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Black Pearl really carves up the wave good. Sharp edges.

Last two pics we pulled up to the dock with all the sacs full. In the surf pics above we also had 800lbs of people weight in the boat too. I'm going to try and expand the ballast system to double the weight.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-03-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
How fast are you riding in those pics?
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-03-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
WARNING! If you are homophobic, dont look here lol http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72992

Here is my wake and you can tell the weighted and unweighted pics, but I usually run 800 or so before people, but I usually only ride with one person, sometimes more, but rarely. I cant figure out how to load pics here because I am an internet failure. That is the mustang site I help moderate. It should give you an idea, but unfortunately not my surf wake, but I guess Eder has some pics, though not very detailed ones of that.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-19-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Jason - We've been going between 13.5 - 14mph. I've been thinking that a longer, wider boat probably would drive a bit slower than a shorter DD. Also the Supras have such a deep-v hull and such a deep shape that is takes a bit to weight it out!!!

I have finished my ballast for now and it's about as much as she can handle. 700lbs in rear, 800 in front for wakeboarding. 700 in rear and 700-1000 port rear for surfing nowadays. A little less if we have a bunch of people.

How is the Saltaire surf wake? I almost bought a Saltaire near me, an 87 with 2000lbs under the floorboards when they redid floors/stringers. $8k they wanted w/ tower..
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-18-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
Recent...

Upload
Upload

More to follow asap.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-30-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I don't want this thread to go to archive yet so here's a free bump and for anyone who is watching a free pic of my awesome new to me bimini from eder garavito thanks bud!

Upload
Upload
Upload