Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-20-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
from another website:

Kind of another warning- A friend called me this morning-he got a call from his girlfriend. Her ex was at the River this past weekend with friends. They had sucked up some junk at the sandbar into their intake. He was sitting on the swimstep while they were going at slow speed, due to partial throtle. The driver turned around and he was gone. His body surfaced 30 min later-carbon monoxide poisioning...... sux to hear about that happening to anybody.....
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
oh my lord. can it really happen in an open air environment that quickly?

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-20-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
How many times have you been sitting on the rear deck before the engine gets shut off and you can smell the exhaust?? Alot of the time we dont even shut off the engine while changing riders-we definately will now!!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-20-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
a little more detail I found http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_19275.php
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Well that is truly a sad story. But in your first post is says they found him 30 mins later, in the article its says a day later. I know it's just facts vs. hearsay. We always shut the boat off while we change riders, pick up riders, or swim.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-20-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
I am very sorry to hear that. Prayers will be going out to his family.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
I turn off the boat as often as possible when someone is on the step.

Sorry to hear about this. Just goes to show you that it can happen quickly.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-20-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
My prayers to his family, GOD Bless.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Not to disrespect the passing of someone, but HOW MANY F'ING TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN BEFORE PEOPLE START LISTENING!!!

The next chapter in this story will be the parents of the guy suing the boat manufacture in place of holding the operator of the boat responsible.

Natural selection is a B***C!
Old    murrayair            09-20-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
That is a sad story, and I don't want in any way to disrespect the victim or his family, but it seems like every time something like this happens, like Cliff said, the parents want to hold anyone and everyone in the industry responsible and try to rally the local/state government pass new laws to make it that much harder for responsible people to have fun on the water, instead of accepting that it was an unlikely accident in which the blame goes solely to the people on the boat at the time. I give my condolences to the family and hope that they are smart enough to realize that lawsuits are not the solution to a simple accident.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-21-2005, 5:41 AM Reply   
Well in the manufacturers defense they are putting labels on all (that i know of) new ib/v drives to warn people. I recently saw a show on tv that had a section warning of teak surfing and the dangers. People dont always follow directions so who knows if the driver even pays attention to this. I have passed on to alot of people about the serious dangers involved in sitting back there at idle for extended periods and think it makes a difference if everyone tells someone when you see it happening. We were out at a local hang out chillin and an acquaintance was running his boat to charge the batteries while the stereo played and there were about 3-4 hotties sitting on the back of the boat. Well when i said you really shouldnt be sitting back here while the boat was running and i showed them the sticker they got this kind of scared look on their face and got off the platform. If you see it happening, make a difference even if your a kid go ahead and point out the warning sticker to whoever is there. Hopefully someone with some brains will take care of the situation.
Old    zboomer            09-21-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
Interesting. No one noticed him fall off the boat, he was "leaning over the back cleaning out the jet pump" etc.

Folks, there are EXHAUST PORTS there. If you stick your head around them, you will get CO. Not too difficult to understand.

I actually some some morons teak surfing a few weeks ago at the local lake. A full boat of people no less, and all seemed to think it was cool. I said nothing, just letting Darwinism work.

FWIW, I never leave then engine running with anyone on the platform, unless it's very briefly, like if someone is putting their board on and I need to move away from shore. Then it's 10-15 seconds at the most.

I went out with a girl I know recently on her boat, and she never killed the engine even when people were getting in/out of the boat. Made me feel very uncomfortable, even when I was sitting in the boat. Some people just do it that way, but I think it's dangerous for several reasons.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-21-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
Just read the article and his wife and children were on the boat at the time, unnecessary tragedy!!!!!!
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-23-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
This happenend directly in front of our river house, unfortunately I was 20 yards away on monday morning when he was pulled out of the water, It was a sad weekend due to this unfortunate event. I think this article helped set the story straight if this is what truly happened because it seemed that there were a couple other versions going around camp. My prayers got out to the family, friends and everyone (including my family) in our cove that had to witness this tradegy throughout the weekend, my little brother almost witnessed the events on monday morning. This type of tragedy effects everyone. Godspeed
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
To quote paul (wakeme884) How many times have you been sitting on the rear deck before the engine gets shut off and you can smell the exhaust??
And don't forget carbon monoxide is odorless so don't assume you're not breathing it in if you can't smell anything. Same happened at lake Bartlett, AZ, last yr. Switch 'em off!

Pete
Old     (mattprt)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 6:34 AM Reply   
When are they going to make hybrid boats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
When we wanna spend 100K on a boat
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-06-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Man that is a true tradgedy, I am guilty of not turning the engine off most fo the time when changing riders, I will never do that again
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-07-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Finally my cheapness is paying off. I can't afford to let the boat idle anymore.