Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-23-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
Was kind of hoping the resident sound system junkies can help me out here.

I've got a 2008 X-2 with four JL tower speakers on it. When we're not riding, we hang out alot at the local sandbar. Recently this year, I've noticed that I can't turn the volume up much passed about level 16 when the boat is off, otherwise I loose my the sound quality on my speakers. Normally when we're riding, we play music at around level 25. It used to be when I shut the boat off and left the music going, the clarity would stay the same, and we could blast it like normal, however lately that is not the case. When the music goes passed volume level 16, its like the speakers start to sporadically gurggle and lose audio quality, or the sound slightly pops in and out. However, when I start the boat, I can crank it with perfect quality. No speakers are blown, as the quality when the boat is on is fine, however when its off, it seems like the amps aren't getting enough power or something lately? I assume its a battery issue? Maybe time to replace my batteries, or at least give them a real good long charge? Or is there some other issue that I'm oblivious to at the moment?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Yea I would buggy suggest testing the batteries. Sounds like a voltage drop to the amps/ head unit.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-23-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
If you have a portabal battery charger it may be worth it to hook it up and then turn your stereo on and see if this help its possible that when the boat is running and your moving what you hear sounds good but acutlly could be the same as what your hearing with the engine off. the engine and backround noise my be filling in some of the bad sounds that your hearing with no other noises. now if it sounds good when your putting a charge on it i would agree with swatguy that you batterys are just not holding a very good charge and as soon as you take the alternator out of the picture your voltage drops witch in term makes sounds quality drop also. that just some trouble shooting you can do to narrow down the problem
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-23-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
You have to verify the voltage at the amplifier primary terminals when the boat is off and the amplifier is under load. You may not accomplish much only testing at the battery terminals without a load. No meaningful diagnosis can start until you confirm the voltage. If It is voltage related it could be the battery, an ACR/VSR status if you have one or the condition (loose or corroded) of either power or ground connections. Since the difference seems so sudden I suspect another issue instead of or in addition to a bad battery.
If your battery is really in poor condition, this presents an additional and constant load and is unhealthy for the alternator.

David
Earmark Marine