Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-22-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
looking at getting a hitch for my gf's toyota matrix (curt or drawtite, they both seem to run around $150 and are 1.25"). any suggestions on a bike rack? there are so many out there and they all seem to have some quirks - what are you happy with? 2 bikes is probably fine but am considering up to 4 as we both have a couple bikes
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Funny, I am looking for the same thing right now. I want 2" and holds bikes via wheel trays and arm (so NO frame contact). I've been starting to watch Craig'sList for the Thule 2 and Saris Themla or OnCycle. There are a ton of options for ones that hold bike's via their frames, and they are cheaper too. Tons of those on CL.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-22-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
From a design perspective I'd stick with the wheel tray design too, if only so you can open the hatch with the bikes mounted.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
I use a frame contact TULE. It works fine. Because I ride with carbon wheels I don't want the rack to be useing the wheels for contact.
The frame contact rack works fine you just have to set it up so your bike dosen't swing on the rack I mounted a towel to the rack and use a small tie down to secure the bike to the rack. My rack holds 4 but I would be nervous that bike would touch and rub. So in that case a Wheel rack holds the bike a bit more in-place .

I think the frame contact racks will give you the ability to swing or hinge the rack out of the way and give more ground clearance.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-22-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
We have used these type of racks because you can fit four bikes on the rack and haul a waverunner too, of course the waverunner is used for wakeboarding.
http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=7115
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-22-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
These aren't the greatest out there, but they are priced right and work well. My buddy got one first for his jeep and then I bought one for my son's Honda Accord. The only downside is that they are only for 2" receivers. For the Accord I had to install a adapter. No biggie, it works well, tilts out of the way and is lockable. If you don't know the site, it is almost impossible to find. I just had to text my son to remind of the brand!

http://www.motobatteries.com/c-16-bicycle-carriers.aspx
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I use a frame contact TULE. It works fine. Because I ride with carbon wheels I don't want the rack to be useing the wheels for contact.
The frame contact rack works fine you just have to set it up so your bike dosen't swing on the rack I mounted a towel to the rack and use a small tie down to secure the bike to the rack. My rack holds 4 but I would be nervous that bike would touch and rub. So in that case a Wheel rack holds the bike a bit more in-place .

I think the frame contact racks will give you the ability to swing or hinge the rack out of the way and give more ground clearance.
Bunch of my bikes have external cable routing, so I want to avoid frame clamp designs. On our car I have a set of Rocky Mounts trays that work great. I just picked up use Jeep Grand Cherokee as my bike/wet/snow car. On that Jeep I really want wheel mount on the receiver. Softride, Saris, Thule and Yakima all have decent looking designs. There is a local guy on CL that has the Thule I'd like, but I want it for $100 than he is asking. So I'll hurry up and wait till find a deal.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
Bunch of my bikes have external cable routing, so I want to avoid frame clamp designs.
We just run the hold down brackets between the cable and the frame. Good point though.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-25-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Costco, $50, holds 4 bikes, made in China. I took a couple holders off as I normally carry one or two bikes. It holds the bikes and does not rattle.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-25-2010, 10:21 PM Reply   
Went with the Thule T2 off Amazon. Will report back when the weather changes :-/