Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-11-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Ok,
I just bought a 07 dealer repo 212 supreme. Nice boat, in great condition ( 2 hours ) but the stereo is, well, stock. I do not have tower speakers yet, but for now I'm more concerned with the in boat sound. The stock speakers are (6) sony Xplode 6.5's which I think "X ploded". I don't know crap about stereo systems, but I want one that sounds nice.
What would be your recommendation for a good sounding stereo system, that I don't have to hawk the house for? speakers? amps? subs? Deck?
all advice is greatly appreciated.
Have a nice day
Old    suprafly07            05-11-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I did this very thing this winter. I love Wetsounds, so i wanted to incorporate WS into the project in some ways without having to pay the premium. I got a great deal on a SYN 6 (WS 6 channel amp) and the ws-12x (12 inch sub). I really wanted to buy their 6.5's too, just couldn't justify the price. So i instead got six Polk DB651's. Really pleased with the overall result. Nice highs and mids from the 6.5's with the sub pounding the lows. I did all the install myself to save $$$ total price $1200-$1400.

Not too bad considering the quality of materials used. Hope this helps
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-12-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. I'll start looking into those speakers. Does that one AMP run the 6.5's as well as the 12?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat.

First off with replacing the 6.5's find out what your mounting depth is. In my Supra i am limited to a shallow mount 6.5 so my selection for speakers is limited. To find your mounding depth either measure it or take the current Sony Xplode 6.5's in the boat. Take one out and find the model number on it, then find it online and see what the mounting depth is, and then look for speakers that are the same.

My top choices for 6.5's are:
Apline Type R - $90 a pair
Kicker KS600 - $65 a pair
Polk DB651 - $70 a pair

I am a big fan of the Kicker Subs, I would either go with a 12 or a 15 of the L5 or L7, or to save some cash go with the CVR

CVR 12 - $150 15 - $230
L5 12 - $300 15 - $400
L7 12 - $450 15 - $550

For amps I personally like to have an amp for each part, one for the sub, one for the interior speakers, one for the tower. The size of amp also depends on what you decide to go with. The Alpine PDX amps are nice because they are stackable and are digital.

For the interior:
Alpine PDX-4.150 $440
Kicker ZX650.4 $290

For the subwoofer:
Apline PDX-1.600 $350
Alpine PDX-1.1000 $500
Kicker ZX750.1 $300
Rockford Fosgate Power T10001bd $400

If you did want one amp to run the interiors and sub i really like the Rockford Fosgate Power-1000 $500

For the deck i would go with one of the Alpines that is designed for ipod only.
Alpine iDA-X100 $270

All my prices are off of sonicelectronix.com they seem to have good pricing on almost all audio stuff.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-12-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
i'll check it out, thanks for the info.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
And most of the stuff from sonic is something they're not a dealer for, and when it comes in if it actually works, then you'd be lucky.

They also sell JL Audio without serial numbers.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
hmmm... I've bought quite a bit of stuff over the years from Sonicelectronix.com and never had a problem. All new and factory sealed. Everything worked fine. I've never received anything without serial numbers.

I've really liked their super low prices on last years stuff.... They've always got old models cheap, and who really cares if it's last years stuff or this years stuff on most of it....
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-13-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
+1 for Sonix. Yeah, they are not authorized dealers but offer the same warranty period through their own company. I bought all my pdx amps (4.150 x 2, and 4.1000) from them and my 15L7. In most cases, they just replace what is broken. My sub actually blew and they just sent me a replacement. Is it possible that they might not be around in 2 years, yeah. But thats the risk you take in order to get stuff for almost 60% MSRP.