Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Today my buddy brought his ipod on the boat. I bought a cheapo 5 dollar cable at target that will allow me to plug the headphone jack into my AUX jacks on the XMD3 unit. It worked beautifully when I plugged my computer into it to test it out.

The Ipod however, is different. The volume is about one third of the usual. Why? Maybe his Ipod batteries were low? I don't think I should have to get an EQ for this. Has anyone else experienced this. I'd love to get my own Ipod because it's getting really painful to burn CD's of all of my favorite downloads, but if I can't hear them at full volume...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
I did try a search and couldn't find an answer. It's had to have been discussed before. If you know the link, let me know.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-13-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
I did the same thing got a cable from radio shack and the quality and the volume is horrible when I plug it into my AUX input. I hope someone chimes in.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-13-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Did you try turning up the volume on the Ipod. Since you are running through the headphone jack the volume control is limiting how much sound actually goes through. I have XM radio hooked up in our boat through the MyFi and the aux in and had that happen to me at first.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
I did have it turned up all the way.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-13-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
You have to find out if the Aux in on your deck uses a lineout signal. If so you need to use a converter like the base for IPods. At 3/4 volume on your IPod with a headphone jack style input you should be able to have plenty of volume, after that the signal out the headphone jack starts to clip.
Old    tommyadrian5            04-13-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
download 'eupod', it allows you to uniformly boost the volume of all songs on an ipod

problem solved
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-13-2005, 10:04 PM Reply   
I use an I-pod in my boat but use a line driver to boost the signal. Audio control and others make them for about 100 bucks. It will boost your signal from about 1.5volts to 8 volts. This is a must have if you're running an ipod through your boat or car stereo. Check threads about line drivers in the archives. It has been discussed before
Old    justsomeguy            04-13-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
RTFM

Page 15 to be exact.

It explains how to set the AUX IN sensitivity.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2005, 5:38 AM Reply   
Tom, your running an 8 volt signal to your deck? Hell most amps wont even take that much??
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-14-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Justsomeguy,

?RTFM? Is that 'Read The Freakin Manual'? Sorry, as you know, I'm not that smart. My XMD3 manual has been worthless, but I've not looked that up yet. I worry it isn't the aux sensitivity because the volume from the computer is just fine. Thank you for your input.

Tom,
Could I use an EQ instead of a line driver? Would that give me more control over each frequency?
Old    jzwake            04-14-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have heard that the cable makes the difference. I have a generic though and it works fine with no setup. Monster cable sell one for like $30, its absurdly expensive but according to apple.com reviewers say it works better then the others.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-14-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
actually I'm running my I-pod into the line driver then to the eq then to the amps. the Ipod signal isn't going into my deck.
Tigeguy, If you get an Audio control eq some of them have a pre-amp built in that will boost the signal. An eq by itself won't do anything.
I've got pretty good system in my boat. (nothing like one of grants creations). I use only the I-pod out on the water and the addition of the line driver really woke my system up. I think Grant is putting line drivers in the systems he's building to boost the deck signal. It gives you a cleaner signal to the amp and lets you turn your gains down so you're not working the amp so hard. While still giving a lot more volume. I'm no stereo expert but the 100 bucks you'll spend on one will be worth it.
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-15-2005, 6:04 AM Reply   
I have an iPod in my boat and justsomeguy is right. In the manual it is explained how to boost the vol of the aux input. I did nothing but place with that option on the radio and it sounds great.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-16-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
I'm having the same problem but the sound out of the iPod is only mabye 5% lower than MP3, just enough to notice, and I've got about 20' of cable going from the drivers seat, around the front to the deck on the passengers side.

So your saying the deck may have a boost for the aux input level or is this an iPod setting?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-17-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
I finally got around to doing as Justsomeguy recomended. The aux sensitivity was set at Medium. I turned it up to high and it makes some difference. After using my laptop, I realized that the volume is still substantially lower with the PC compared to the CD player (I previously thought they were equal). It is not real noticeable unless you switch back and forth. I think if I want serious volume, I'll have to look at some of the other options mentioned above.

Monster,
I have considered the same thing and my dealer recommended that I run the cable down through the floor where the steering cable goes and then fishing it up through the air intake on the opposite side with a hangar. I bet it could be done with an 8 foot cable. That might make a difference. What head unit do you have that plays MP3's?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-17-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I have the Sony CDX-F7715X and I do like it. At first I was searching insanely to fine a head unit with a waterproof remote that can display song and disk info, but I could not find it anywhere, I dont think it exists yet.

Going to the iPod with it at the drivers side with the Sony remote looks like it will have me covered well :-)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-18-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
I noticed that I had to turn my volume all the way up on my MP3 player (not an IPOD, but a Creative Jukebox) and I use the Monster cable. I have not tried it in the boat yet (to the 7705 sony HU) but did hook it up to my Yamaha home theater receiver. It takes more volume on both the MP3 player and on the Home Theater receiver to output a decent volume. I think it has something to do with the low power output at the headphone jack (100 milliwatts I think). A line driver will boost the signal, but the newer Sony HU's have a built in line driver into the aux port.
Old     (djpurnell)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2005, 2:58 AM Reply   
i run an ipod loaded with 'eupod' (available for download from www.ipodlounge.com)with an XMD3, levels are now ok.
Old    justsomeguy            04-19-2005, 8:24 AM Reply   
"i run an ipod loaded with 'eupod' (available for download from www.ipodlounge.com)with an XMD3, levels are now ok.

Maybe Apple has addressed this with more recent Ipods?

My three month old Ipod has plenty of volume with my XMD3 and the sensitivity set to "HIGH."
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-19-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
I plugged mine into my boat last night. While I had to turn up the volume on the MP3 player to max, and turn the HU volume up higher than normal (maybe an additional 25%) the quality was actually pretty good. I was real pleased to be honest. I did notice that the EQ settings needed to be adjusted vs playing the same MP3 off of a CD disk.
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
A few things.

#1 I noticed on my system I could hear some noise threw the line when the charger was hooked to the I pod, Example the system would play with less static with the battery charger disconnected. As soon as i would plug in the charger I could hear sm noise.
Has anyone has this same experiance?

#2 I noticed that the head phone jack on the top of the Ipod is or has more power than the headphone jack that the bottom of most chargers
, My Monster Cable I pod charger has a headphone jack at the bottom where it connects to the I pod, I have had the same experiance with the Belkin charger.

BTW can I ask for some help My I pod is on the fritz. Does anyone know how to do a hardreset/ format the hard drive. I have tryed formatting the harddrive while connected to my computer and its not working. I get the message "can not format harddrive"
I want to erace my hard drive and start over.
Thanks G
Old    bronco991            04-19-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Grant if you want to reset the Hdd..Just d/l the Ipod Updater...Which is like the ipod firmware...There is an option to reset it...Or you can hook it up to a different computer and it will wanna sync with that...if you click yes then it will...so just hook it up to a computer with no music...Or you should be able to just delete all of the songs on Itunes...You might have to take it off auto sync could be the problem
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Kyle: I brought my Ipod to apple for the 2nd time, and for the second time they gave me a brand new one, Wooo Hooo. With Apple its a love hate relationship.LOL

Good new's I got a New I-pod.
Bad New's If this one breaks Im S.O.L.

He said "Ill help you this time and ill give you a new one but if it breaks you will have a expencieve paper weight" There is no warrenty avalible. What you see is what you get. Im playing "I-pod Russian Rulelet"
Old    bronco991            04-19-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
What happened to it that broke?
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
??????? IMO all hand held electronic devices are P.O.S they all go out on you you My advice is have a extended warrenty.

The guy at the apple store said the hard drive sounded bad
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
Hey i would like to know more about "eupod" I looked at the liknk but couldnt find the feeware, any links or tips to find "eupod"
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-19-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
http://www.espen.se/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1088783648&arc hive=&start_from=&ucat=3&category=3
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-20-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
Today I got out again with my buddy's Ipod. The increased AUX sensitivity helped some. Today someone else who reads his owner's manual to the ipod came with us as well. He brought his Ipod too. To make a long story short, the first buddy's Ipod had the EQ in it turned OFF. With that turned on the sound was nearly as loud as with the CD. He had not yet downloaded the eupod. It's now adequate for my needs. With the engine off, I still notice the quality is not as crisp, though. Even the same songs at the same kbps are not as clear. Why would a 128kps CD sound better than the 128kps ipod song?
Old    air_sv211            04-20-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have noticed with my ipod mini that it is plenty loud on my boat but the base is way to high coming from the ipod as compaired to the boat headunit. Will this download let me fix that or is there something else I have to do to fix that.

(Message edited by air_sv211 on April 20, 2005)
Old    ag4ever            04-25-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
I thought that eupod was only for european ipods that have the max volume restricted from the factory. US versions don't have that restriction?