Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    chris_hargis            05-06-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
I bought two Simer pumps from B.E. Atlas a little over a month ago, and on e of them burned up the pump head this past weekend. I noticed the fill time was rather long, and discovered the pump not working. I ended up taking it apart and finding that the plastic housing had melted for some reason. They both feed of the same line for draining and individual lines for filling and the other pump was fine.

Anyway, I called B.E. Atlas and was told to call Simer myself to see what to do. They told me that I could buy the pump head from them or from B.E. Atlas, but it would be cheaper from BE. I called BE back and spoke to Dennis and explained it to him and told him what Simer said. He told me he would call them himself and see what they would do. He called me back and said they were sending me a new pump head free of charge.

Now while I was a little upset with the first response I got from both companies, they stepped up to the plate and hit a home run with me on this. I am very pleased with the customer service I received with Dennis (not sure who the first female I talked to was).

Just wanted to give Kudos to him and Simer.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
Awesome. i love my simer. works great.

james mc callum originally hooked me up on them and I started researching. Then I found be atlas and could not resist the 68.00 price delivered.
Old    helixthecat            05-06-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Chris,
Is Dennis a guy, I just talked to Denise from BE(female)???? Maybe I should order my pumps from your guy if he was worthy of the props you gave him, (the less hassle the better)

BTW-Where they able to offer any reasoning as to why the housing would melt like that??
Old    jmccallum            05-06-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Chris,
Did they give you any idea why the head melted?

I've stalled my Simer a couple of times, once or twice long enough to blow the fuse.

P.S. Do you have seperate fuse for them (?amps) or do they share a big fuse?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
i use the 30 amp breakers. i have the number for you if you need to get one for about 5.00 direct from manufacturer. very nice one that quite a few boat manufacturers use.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Good to hear they stepped up.
I have the same simmer and swithc/fuse set up at Ty.
Any word on why they melted? Were you filling or draining when you noticed it was not working?
Old    chris_hargis            05-06-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
They gave no guesses about why it melted. I currently have them with the inline fuses that came on them. Each has it's own fuse. I noticed it when I was filling, but it probably happened the last time I drained it since it was filling slow from the start. The motor was still spinning fine, bu the impeller was not attached to it anymore. When i opened it up, I had to basically crack it open to get to it because it was fused together. The inside ring had chunks of plastic metled to the sides. I will try to get some pictures of it and show you guys what I am talking about.

Dennis is the guy I talked to. He was the one who took my order originally, so he stepped up when I talked to him. Like I said I was running both pumps at the same time and only one was affected. Each of my pumps is wired to a seperate switch with relays and each has it's own fuse. In my system, each pump feed form it's own thruhull, then into a single 1 inch line to the sacks. One pump is closer to the 1" than the other, but since both are 3/4", each should be getting water from the system when draining. I am considering making them into two seperate systems, one that feeds the rear sacks, and one that feed the locker sack. That is probably a better idea. I may even add a third pump and slit it into 3 systems.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
At least it sounds like you got your riding in for the day.
Defenitely get some pics when you can.
Yes add another pump when you can… it’s faster!
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
Ty,

Can you post the link for the breakers? That's what I've been looking for.

Everyone else - I the best source for a large ID thru hull (1 1/4) and assorted plumbing. Anybody happy with a particular vendor?
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
oops!

I NEED the...
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
I had some left over stuff from "version one" that I got at West Marine. 1" ID.

RE: breaker... call t&w electric 800-531-8409 talk to don.

Switch part number…..0862-0113
Breaker part number…. 1658-G21-01-P10 30A

Can't find the pics... got them saved somewhere.
Old     (oldboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
What kind of "stuff". Trying to unload any?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
jeff got you hooked up.

the cool thing is that it is only 5.00 bucks. also cut the inline fuse off so it will not blow and cause you problems.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
i do not have any pics other than of my dash before i screwed back in. The white buttons are the breakers if that helps. you can just leave it hanging behind. I had it hanging behind a while back when i used to have my sub control dial mounted through the breaker hole.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
they do also have white, black, and silver mounting beauty rings.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
Ray,
I got a bunch of misc parts in the shop. I will get an inventory of what I have. E-mail me and I will check with you later this week. That's one way to clean out the garage.
Old    chris_hargis            05-06-2003, 7:22 PM Reply   
OK, here are some pictures of the pump head inside assembly where it melted.
Here you can see the melted plastic stuck to the wall.

Little closer and less light. The impeller was actually stuck to this part.

This is the other side and I actually scraped some of it off here, but you can still see it.

You can see bubles of melted plastic between the holes here.
Old    jmccallum            05-07-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
yikes!

Chris,
I don't think there's anything you need to change to prevent it from happening again IMHO. I left the 30 Amp inline fuse in (I think) but added a 25 Amp at the panel. Once when I didn’t notice the pump ran dry (we were blasting along down the lake) and the 25 Amp blew. I have no idea how long it was dry for. I decided to stay with 25 Amp fuses and bought a box of on-board spares.

Still be interested in Simer's theory on the meltdown cause.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-09-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
close up of the switches/breakers Ty is talking about.