Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-18-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
In the past few we have only insured our boat for the summer months when it was in use. Our current insurance agency (state farm) won't allow us to do this anymore. Does anyone on here know of someone that will?
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-18-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
I have layup insurance that is valid from 4/1 thru 11/1 every year with AAA. Max coverage for $350 a year.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-18-2015, 7:57 PM Reply   
Allstate would let me do that, but I paid an annual premium and that premium was used up during the 6 months of summer. So if i cancelled it after the summer I would get no money back. So no advantage to canceling during the winter.

Also what if got damaged during the winter?

I doubt there are many companies that will let you do what you are talking about doing.
Old     (Crosstx)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-19-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
I carry year round on mine as its pretty inexpensive for what it covers. Every time something is damaged on mine it seems to be during offseason
Old     (Crosstx)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-19-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
Contact this guy, he is a fellow wakeboarder and has found me the best deals and coverage for just about anything i want to insure.

Johnathan Donnell
(830) 358-6250
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-20-2015, 5:02 AM Reply   
Cheapest coverage I have found to date. They offer layup discounts for however many months you don't use
http://www.skisafe.com/
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
^^^^I have SkiSafe. I have a 4 month lay up period from December through March. If I want to take the boat out during those months, all I have to do is call and tell them and I'm covered then too.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
Most companies allow "garage" insurance for all types of vehicles when not in use. It drops everything except your comprehensive when it's in garage mode. The premium is a lot less than regular in use insurance. Just talk to your agent and tell them you want garage/storage/layup insurance for it.

I'm with State Farm, and I'm not sure if individual agencies are able to work on other accounts, but you can try calling my guy.
Peter Chen (also Pam)
503-352-3500

I have never had an issue at all and they treat me right. If they can do interagency, they should be able to fix you up.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-21-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
My State Farm agent said that she couldn't do the lay up thing. I really wanted to use them because they are my cars and homeowners insurer.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-21-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
I use State Farm for my various vehicles except my boat. Currently my Audi has full coverage. My M3 has a lower premium because it's in the "driven under 7500 miles a year" status. My motorcycle and Jeep are both suspended (they only have comprehensive) because I'm not using them.

State Farm couldn't touch the rates I was getting on my boat.

My former next door neighbor is an agent for www.boatinsurance.net and he finds me the best prices. On my current boat we got the best rates through Progressive. With my progressive, I had him drop/lower key coverages during the winter when I wasn't using the boat. this lowered my overall premiums and I just put them all back up to the normal level by sending him an email. So I was able to make it happen with Progressive and an agent willing to make the changes for me in winter/spring.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-22-2015, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Most companies allow "garage" insurance for all types of vehicles when not in use. It drops everything except your comprehensive when it's in garage mode. The premium is a lot less than regular in use insurance. Just talk to your agent and tell them you want garage/storage/layup insurance for it.

I'm with State Farm, and I'm not sure if individual agencies are able to work on other accounts, but you can try calling my guy.
Peter Chen (also Pam)
503-352-3500

I have never had an issue at all and they treat me right. If they can do interagency, they should be able to fix you up.
Agent doesn't matter for any insurance. They can't change your rate. Rates are all determined by statistical analysis with insurance. State Farm, regardless of where you live or who you talk to, will always be higher because they do a length to horsepower ratio. Our boats obviously have lots of horsepower in a short boat, and will have higher premiums because they think we're flying down the lake at 70mph and create more risk. The ski boat specific companies understand what the higher horsepower motors are for... pulling, not speed, and rate the risk accordingly. State Farm is a waste of money for your boat.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
I have been asked up front about my seasonal use to develop a rate but in practice the bottom line is the bottom line so shop around.