Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Which do you guys favor? wakeboarding or wakesurfing?

i want to see the difference in popularity
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-04-2012, 11:32 PM Reply   
Well I bought my boat with the intent on doing both but now its about 90% wakeboard and 10% surf. Once you really get the hang surfing I find it kind of loses it's thrill. Its also kind of easy. I mean sure there are tricks you can do and all but the feeling isn't the same as wakeboarding imo.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-05-2012, 1:34 AM Reply   
We wakeboard almost exclusively. I find that people have trouble keeping the surf board under their feet when getting pulled up. Of the people that I ride with only myself and one other can surf. I don't even take the surf board with us on most trips to the lake. About the only time I will take is when I am on vacation for the entire week. Everyone down to my smallest kid (7) will rip it up on the wakeboard though. God please let winter end so we can get over the withdraw that we are feeling!!!!!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
is this surforld or wakeworld?

WAKE OF COURSE WAKEBOARDING ALL THE WAY!!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-05-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
I should mention that when looking at new boats this year, EVERY salesman focuses on surfing during their sales pitch. Some don't even ask about wakeboarding and just talk about how awesome the boat surfs....... boring......
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-05-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
I for sure enjoy some surfing mixed in with wakeboarding. But in my crew we have never went out with surfing being our main priority. If its on a weekend and we wakeboard in the morning and no one has obligations in the afternoon... we'll surf the blown out water.

I had a boat full of newbs out, 3 of which got up on a wakeboard for the first time that day... they ALL surfed that day as well. One of which was throwing the rope in by the end of the day.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-05-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
We only surf if the water conditions are awful, newbs are on the boat and have never seen what surfing is, or it's the end of the day and we're to beat to board more.

I hit the water at least every weekend and sometimes during he week if I can find a crew (never can find a reliable crew). Probably surf once or twice a month.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
im extremely glad to see that every reply has been wakeboarding so far.

i personally like wakeboarding 100% more than surfing

i really dont want to see surfing take over wakeboarding, like wakeboarding took over skiing.

wakeboarding is the bomb!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-05-2012, 4:39 PM Reply   
My plan is to wakeboard until my body gives out and then take up wakesurfing.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
i wakeboard when its flat, its more fun.
i surf when its blown out and crazy busy but its too easy and after a few runs ive had enough, its a nice way to wind down after a set. but also im not ever going to be the D bag who ruins everyones water to surf. In the summer i ride 5 times a week, i surf maybe 2/3 of those days.

Also when you think about it, everyones going to pitch surfing, most people who can afford boats are older and more inclined to do the low impact surfing. i think its nice that my parents can get into it, considering they paid for the boat and my leaching ass just uses it...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-06-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHxTC8dHxo

nuff said.

Last edited by andy_nintzel; 02-06-2012 at 7:13 AM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-06-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
I just learned to wake surf this year.I first learned to ski when i was 12 [they were wooden back then].Then i learned to Kneeboard,trick ski,Barefoot,AIR CHAIR Wakeboard and Flying tube.I ENJOY WAKEBOARDING the most of all as it is the most challenging to master.Oh yeah i've also wake skated,but at my age it would be too difficult to get good at it.Surfing i reserve for when the water is tore up already.P.S. i don't consider tubing a water sport.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
most wakesurfers dont go to this part of the site.
if you asked in the boat section (where both riders go), the responses would be different.

nowadays a typical boater is more likely to surf than wakeboarding. a lot of people never imagine themselves doing flips, so they never do more than ride around so they get board. but i guess its the same as a lot of people with wakesurfing. They never imagine themselves doing 3s, airs, or shove-its so all they do is ride which gets very boring.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-06-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding. We only have a make shift wakesurf board that was made out of a broken surfboard. Tried it once. Thought it was fun for about five minutes and haven't brought it back on the boat since.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
Surfing for me. The body just can't take the abuse from kneeboarding/wakeboarding anymore. And I'm not the kind that can just carve around. I have a go big or go home mentality, which isn't always a good thing. With that said, I see a TON of potential in wakesurfing and hope to help raise the bar a bit within the next couple of years.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
wakeboarding, personally despise the wakesurfers on our lake/river. The guys that try and act super hard on the dock talking mad trash and then go out and ride a set with the rope on complete butter ruining the water for everyone else....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
The enjoyment from wakesurfing isn't worth the gas that you burn. For me.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-06-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
I go to my boat to wakeboard.

I go to the beach to surf.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
I go to my boat to wakeboard.

I go to the beach to surf.
^^This. I can't take wakesurfing seriously because I have a beach to do real surfing.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-06-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding...every day, any day and twice on Sunday. We don't surf, tube or kneeboard behind our boat. We will occasionally break out the old wake skate for some fun and good laughs (funny falls).
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding for sure. You just can't get the same thrill going 10 mph.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-06-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing has it's place, but I just don't see where there is to progress in the sport. There is only so much you can do with a mushy knee-waist high wave. Obviously it has, and will continue to, become all about the airs, but I just don't see the ability to do awesome/stylish airs on a small slow wave. Certainly not anywhere near as cool as ocean waves. With that said, I think it's a pretty fun activity for the wife and others who are into stuff that's mellow and low-impact. So in respect to that, there is reason to setup to the surf wake,t to get more people involved in water sports.

Personally, if it was JUST me that was riding, I would stick to wakeboarding.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
I would wakeboard 99% of the time, until I turned 50 years young and have blown out both of my ACL's! Now its 90% wakesurf 10% wakeboarding! I would wakeboard more if my knees could take it! But, at least I havent given up totally on wakeboarding!
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-06-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
i prefer air chair.. common, this is a wakeboard forum, what are people going to say?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-06-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
if you are really asking this for an even shake of a response......... then wrong forum. ex. do you ask people if they prefer ford to chevy on a chevy forum.

i would be curious to know how many guys have surfed or just went ropeless.

yes i surf more these days. tired of the pain for gain. i like wakeboarding. its fun and fells cool to fly in the air. i like how surfing appeals to a broader range or people.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
surfing all day bro, nothing like doing circles for hours and slashing back and forth with minimal impact..

jk
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
@andy nintzel that sums up wakesurfing in all of 6 seconds, I love it
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-06-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
This question/thread should be under the WakeSurfing thread. Then we would see some different answers. Also get that voters poll like the x55 vs 247 lsv thread has
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-06-2012, 4:39 PM Reply   
surfing gets my wife on the boat and me a driver. don't look a gift horse in the mouth, eh?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Wakesurfing has it's place, but I just don't see where there is to progress in the sport. There is only so much you can do with a mushy knee-waist high wave. Obviously it has, and will continue to, become all about the airs, but I just don't see the ability to do awesome/stylish airs on a small slow wave.
the sport is progressing rapidly. and these guys are getting more tech all the time. And watch the second video and try to say they arent doing big stylish airs.

People base their opinion of wakesurfing on what they see recreational riders doing. If people based their opinion on what they saw recreational wakeboarders did it would look like a joke too. The people taking it seriously (in all wake sports) have the ability to progress and legitimize the sports

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

from slayshTank: The Riders Coalition on Vimeo.

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
wakesurfing cause I've had too many concussions and some compression fractures and a slipped disc
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-06-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
This whole thread seems pretty ridiculous to me. I can't believe so many people seem to look at wakesurfing as a serious competitor to wakeboarding. They're totally different sports with totally different appeals that compliment each other nicely.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-07-2012, 4:24 AM Reply   
I look at it this way.The more wakeboarders and wake surfers out there the less fishermen we have to deal with.LOL But alas,it may attract more tubers.[sigh]
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-07-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
wakesurfing is legit, i just don't think asking this question in a wakeboarding forum is a good idea
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-07-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
You can't deny that wakesurfing is becoming more popular. I know lots of people that dont even really board any more. Just surf. I like to cap each day with a few minutes on the surfboard myself.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-07-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I look at it this way.The more wakeboarders and wake surfers out there the less fishermen we have to deal with.LOL But alas,it may attract more tubers.[sigh]
Honestly, I'd much rather deal with the fisherman than the crap conditions created by the way most people surf/tube.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-07-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescott View Post
Honestly, I'd much rather deal with the fisherman than the crap conditions created by the way most people surf/tube.
Most Surfers are so laid back they don't get out on the lake till 10 or 11:00 in the morning.I'm long done Wakeboarding by then.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-07-2012, 5:05 PM Reply   
To each their own, but I despise wakesurfing.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-07-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
To me most definitely Wakeboarding,, my wife would say surfing....I have found that in my experience people that go to the lake with me that didn't grow up on the water like myself seem to really enjoy surfing.... most everyone that goes with me has picked up surfing. But don't get me wrong in my opinion,.... wakeboarding all the way but surfing is a nice time to relax and most ppl can do it....
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
lets get this thread moved so its less biased
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
i am about 60% surfin and 40% boarding.... which do I get more excited and amped for? Boarding... its more exciting for sure BUT how many out there can wakeboard more than a few good long runs? I know by the time I get a couple good long runs in I am wiped out, my legs are jello so if I want to keep active I better start surfin which I can do for MUCH longer....

I think the question is too broad... of course most are going to be more excited boarding but what are we spending the most time doing? Probably surfing because its easier on your body.