Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
First off let me say I have talked to CWB warranty and to my dealer, who did all they could but really are at the mercy of CWB. Last year I parted with $500 or so for a new Transcend Platty. About half way through the year it snapped in half on a wakecase. CWB replaced the board without question as I have always heard they would. Well I opted for the replacement to be a Marius Platty (which I love by the way) About 2 weeks later the board delaminates on a fall. It seperated top/bottom on the front tip. I emailed them pics etc. Because it is an "unusual break" they want to see it. Which is fine, the r&d from a weird break can only make the boards better. However they want the board back on my dime. It's not a ton of money, $40 or so, but I think it is part of CWB's cost of doing business to ship warranty boards especially if they want to see the unusual ones for testing purposes. These boards cost alot of money and alot of guys have broken them with seemingly great warranty service. Just venting guys!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-20-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Sorry dude but even in my line of work, the client is responsible for shipping and I've seen some monstrous shipping bills. We will ship back to you, which I'm sure CWB will do as well but "it is what it is".
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Until recently all customers were responsible for paying shipping on their warranty. Same with the snowboard and downhill ski industry.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
My point is that they don't usually want the boards back, they only want it back because it was an unusual break and they want to check it out to "learn" from it. There r&d is not my responsibility. If it was standard practice that everyone had to ship the boards back it would be different.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-20-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
hmmmmmm..........cant believe the didnt issue a fed-ex call ticket for the board.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-20-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
if your original purchase was through a shop, I would talk to them about shipping it via them. they usually have deals on shipping, and if you are a good customer, it is likely they will take care of it for you.
I agree though, that the customer should not have to pay shipping on a "faulty" item.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-20-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Warranty on a product is only that. You are responsible for any and all shipping costs between you and the manufacturer. If the company that you bought the board from covers the shipping for you then good on them.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-20-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
I have to say that cwb has ALWAYS sent me a new board. Those guys rock up there. Everytime I break a board they send me a new one. But, if I was in their shoes and this is a weird break I would ask for it as well. And 40$ I just sent three boards to Florida and it cost me 38 through Fed ex. Seems like you should find another shipper.

My only question is, what other industry replaces broken boards. I am a surfer at heart and surf 3 to 4 times a week and everytime I break a board guess what thats another 500 out of my pocket. I think wakeboard companies really dont have to warrenty breaks. Should skateboards have a warrenty?

Sorry for all of the spelling errors.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-20-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
The buyer is responsible for the shipping back, it is like that with every company I have delt with in this industry.

If you bought it through a local shop, maybe they will pick up the shipping, I do for my customers.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-20-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I stripped an insert on a Marius and they requested it back. No big deal $40 bucks is cheaper than another $500.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
As Jeff stated, most local pro shops will pick up the cost of return shipping as a way of saying thanks for the customers support. We always cover this for all products purchased at our shop. Also, $40 for one board? All the boards we ship back are $15 to $20, coming out of the midwest and heading to the Pacific Northwest. We don't deal with CWB, but I can say it's common practice that all companies want all product back. We work with O'Brien as well, and I can say I've NEVER been issued a call tag for one of their defective products either.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
i have shipped boards for WAY less then that. I bet you could ship it for $15 its not like it needs to be insured or and a big padded box. Even at 40 bucks for a brand new upgraded board. I would be saying thanks not venting. When I use to break boards in college I had to send the board to Hyperlite and then wait for a board I always paid the shipping.

Just think they could say NOPE and you would have to pay full price for a board.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-20-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
If you buy any electronic product or anything, you have to send it to them on your dime. It's normal.....
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-20-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Dude...what's your deal ragging on CWB over shipping costs. You cased the wake and they gave you a new board that's not their fault you can't ride and then you break another and complain about $40 give me a break. You're 27 yrs old and have a 2007 Mastercraft is $40 going to kill you?????? And people wonder why board prices are expensive, it's because people like you! Grow up and say thank you to CWB for hooking you up and pay the shipping.

(Message edited by 210san on March 20, 2009)
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
That seems petty. With how the economy is right now I think you can expect companies to not pick up shipping costs anymore.

Keep in mind, they have no idea how you rode it, how you stored it, etc. Not saying you are at fault, but there are factors that could contribute to problems.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-20-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Wow thats petty Matt. CWB warrants so many boards to people that snap them from landing on one end as opposed to landing square center where the entire board can absorb the impact as designed. Heck they even sent you a different model. I hear what your saying but what other industry just replaces product so willingly. Sometimes you just gotta be happy.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Matt, sorry dude, you walked into a lions den on this one. CWB gets more love on here(wakeworld) than a virgin prom queen.

(Message edited by liquidmx on March 20, 2009)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Whiskey Tango: "You cased the wake and they gave you a new board that's not their fault you can't ride"
If a newish board from any company breaks on a wake case they better give you a new board ASAP. A board should hold up to A LOT more than that, because from beginner to pro we all case the wake from time to time.
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-20-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Kristian...whatever man you don't bash a company for giving you 2 free boards and b!tch about shipping costs.

CWB has one of the best warranties out there!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-20-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
$40 to get a $500 board....
$0 to have no board...
hhmmmm, let me think about which i would prefer...
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
I had to pay for my handle to be returned to CWB. No complaints here. The next time I need a warranty item, which I don't hope so, I am sure that I will be treated well.

IMO, the postage that you have to pay is minor compared to not being able to ride the board you like. $.02
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
from what i read, he didn't get 2 free boards...he got a replacement board for one that he paid for. but yeah, kinda petty to be complaining about shipping. and $40 to ship? are you shipping it next day air?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
A lot of people haven't read everything he said. He is mad because they want the board back so they examine what went wrong for R and D purposes and how to improve future boards, when normally they wouldn't ask for the board back and just ship you another board. He doesn't want to have to pay for their research is the point he is getting at, and I totally understand that.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-21-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Kyle, I agree.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
What is that matter with you guys? First off, you must be going to the UPS Store to ship, cause $40 is outrageous, should be closer to 15-20. Get worked by the UPS Store and spend the $40 to get another board, big deal. CWB even sent you a different board than the one your broke, most companies wouldn't do that at all, so you should be stoked on that. Now your complaining about $40 for a $500 board?! You need to go to your shop where you bought it, and work something out with them first, and if they don't help you out, PAY THE SHIPPING, cause that shop sucks!

And for all of you that think he is right, what happens if your DVD player goes bad shortly after you buy it? If the store, (i.e. your local board shop) where you bought it doesn't help you, then you have to send to the manufacturer, and guess who pays for the shipping........you do!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
IMO, the R&D doesn't have anything to do with a warranty issue. Just because CWB wants the board back, it is totally up to them if they want it or want you to destroy the board. The problem with the OP has is that this is probably the first time they have heard about this happening and they want to make sure it doesn't happen again. But, it still falls back on CWB. BTW, you might want to ready the Warranty Agreements before you purchase any item. Alot of others have already said it but the return of products is normal.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I dont think they want it back for R&D at all. They want it back to make sure he isnt abusing the boards, using it on sliders etc. Since they had just given him a new one two weeks prior, I'm sure that throws up a red flag of some sorts when he needs another so quickly.

(Message edited by woreout on March 21, 2009)
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
I don't think it's fair to flame CWB like that.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-21-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
billy may be onto something. and bad boy ripper is right too. $40 is way too much to pay for shipping. either way, i would be happy to pay shipping to get something back new vs fixed....
Old    sealyon.net            03-21-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
We had a absolute that had a small delam spot NEW
CWB wanted to see the board also. I paid the shipping and they it back.
I guess the point is they don't know if the board delamed or it got dropped then delamed or....
That is why sometimes they need the board back.
I returned a hyperlite recently and they simply asked me to drill a hole in it and send them a pic.It all depends on the situation
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
$40 is way too much to ship a board back man. You must have ended up using an oversized box. AND NEVER GO TO THE UPS STORE. When I shipped boards cross country, the most it ended up being was $18 from CA to NY.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Phillip, huh?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-21-2009, 11:49 PM Reply   
Whats the 'drill a hole' about? I mean you can still ride a board with a hole in it. My old Trip has holes from the fins and rides fine.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-22-2009, 12:17 AM Reply   
in the words of Artie Lange...... "Waaaahhhh"
Old    sealyon.net            03-22-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
It was a 1/2" hole, I would guess it would delam pretty fast with that in it??
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-22-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
I can't be bothered reading all the nasty comments, but in my opinion, the board wouldn't need to be warrantied if it wasn't faulty.
Given that the company sold a faulty board, i would think it would be good business practice that they should pick up the tab on shipping - they probably have their own great shipping deals and it would cost them very little.
I don't think the consumer should have to pick up the tab to get a faulty item replaced.
(to say it's ok for a board that's a couple of weeks old to delam cos he cased the wake is just ridiculous).
I'm sure CWB aren't the only company that has this policy, but i strongly disagree with it.

recently here in aus, ripcurl did a voluntary recall on a heap of their stealth vests, because they didn't comply with safety standards. they then tried to charge people to ship their old vests back to get a new one! quite a few people were saying that it was a great deal - new vest for $30 or $40 shipping, but they wouldn't have had to spend that money at all if the vests they paid for in the first place didn't have a problem!! rip curl made a mistake, therefore they should cover all the costs to fix it.

this guy wouldn't be having to pay for anything if his boards weren't faulty!

very similar situation i think.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-22-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
Alice, do you realize you just disagreed with CWB on wakeworld!!! How dare you!!!!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-22-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
yeah i know! only the fact that a few oceans separate me from most wakeworld users gave me the courage :-)