Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
2004 Elite V

We just got 2 580# fat sacs. What would be the best setup. I was thinking one full in the back locker and one in the nose with like 100-200lbs.

What do you guys think? Also should we fill the stock center ballast (650+/-)?

Can't wait to try it!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 5:01 AM Reply   
Your Elite V should be the same hull as my 04 Lightning, I think. Is your boat 21'6" long, and does it have spray pockets?

Last year I was able to surf the port-regular wake with stock ballast. This year I repalced the hard tanks with 750 fat sacks and added additional pop bags. You'll need to get the rub rail close to the water or in the water to get a good wake.

So here's my regular-port setup:
Port locker 750#
Center tank 230#
Port side of tower 80# (barbell weights)
Bench 90#
Port bow 180#
Driver - lightest person in the boat
Bow one person
Rear port seat - one person

For the starboard goofy side put the trim tab down and run a bout 1 mph slower than the regualr side.

Good luck let us know how it turns out.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Ed-yeah same hull.

Looks like you have your boat super dialed.

I ride goofy and my bro rides regular. Looks like I may be posting some pics on the backside post.

I'll try the rubrail tip. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Probably won't be for a couple days.

Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Heck with the rub rail in the water, we had Centurion under water!!!!
Upload
That's a pretty good goofy wake
Upload
I recovered from back here
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Oh today we had the ballast system above and eight people in the boat.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Holy smokes, you do have it buried in the back.

Your wake looks like a ton of fun.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
Finally got out with the fat sacs and what a difference it made. The kids could get in the wave pretty easily. My brother and I had a little harder time. I think we could use a bigger board. We are all using the Broadcast 4' 6". I was able to ride for about 15-20 seconds but I was going backside so it was awkward.

We had the back locker with one sac (580#). We put the other sac on the seat which put it at about in the middle (side not center). What should we do with the other sac? Fill it all the way? Put it in the back locker as well?

Also what speed are you riding at? For us anything over 10mph seemed to mush out of the wave.

This was our first time with the sacs so we have a lot of experimenting to do but definately dont want to overload the boat. What do you guys think. Here are some pictures of my nephews.

Mason
Upload
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
TristanUpload
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Cameron
Upload
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-18-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
I like the look of your wake I've never had a curl like that! Does your boat have any stock ballast – how much and how much of the stock ballast did you use?

Heel side surfing is difficult. When we surf goofy we put some weight in the port locker and 750 pounds in the starboard locker and we put the trim tab down. We ride the goofy wake about 1 mph slower than the regular wake.

Board size depends on weight and skill. I've got three boards, a Broadcast 5.6, Trick Boardz Mojo XL, and a Inland Surfer Red Tide. I can ride all three under a lot of conditions and I weigh around 220 pounds. The Red Tide is a big, big board, it’s too big for my something just over 100 pounds daughter. I can ride the Mojo as fast as 13 mph and the Red Tide at 13.5 mph and can almost keep up at 14 mph (accounting for a huge perfect pass inaccuracy). I can ride the Broadcast as fast as 12 mph, but it’s a lot of work, 10.5 is much easier. That said I generally ride around 10 to 11 mph most of the time.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-19-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
With my Avalanche we fill all the internal tanks and add a minimum of 4 other sacs. Plus people.

Its pretty sick, Check out the results.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-19-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Is it me or does the Elite wake look better? May not be a fair comparison since John has two riders on the wake.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-19-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
I love the Avalanche wake, the wake is clean and big.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-19-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the new picture.

What do you have going on with the open locker, fat sack over stock ballast?
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Bigshow-We have the center ballast only. It was about half full plus the sacs and the people.

We are going to try a bigger board for us (185LBS) which I think will help alot.

Im very happy with the wake so far and can't wait to get out again. Unfortunately not soon enough for me.

Thanks
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 1:33 AM Reply   
Bigshow - I have sac on top of sac on top of stock ballast :-)

I'll take a pic of my boat next time we go out, Friday night or saturday depending on weather here.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
Hey Holmes, I've seen the board in that last picture before. :-) Are you going to make it to the Lake Washington contest on the 26th? It's down towards Mankato. Judy, James and I are flying in to Minn/St. Paul on Saturday.

The Av'y throws a nice wake, but it also creates a realtively steep wake - certainly more steep than the Enzo. At the Worlds in '03 they used Avy's and had, what I remember, shoulder high wakes, but they pitched literally straight up and down, good for skimstyle, not as good for surfstyle. That looks to be the same thing with yours, Holmesy. I known you've driven Enzo's and Avy's for competitons, AND you mostly ride a Phase 5, in your opinion, do you prefer the Avy wake over the Enzo wake?
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Jeff, I think I'll be down for the even next week. I'm supposed to bring my boat down. I live about 4 hours north of Mankato.

I like the Avalanche wake a lot. in 04 at Boardstock I was bummed because I'd been riding a Phase 5 Prop behind the Avalanche and then they threw the Enzo in the mix and it messed me up but its just cause I didn't get to practice behind it at all.

I like Steep.

The Walker boards are nice, We had 2 of James's old boards up here the last week of June. I still have one of them. They ride good, Its a totally different feel.

See you next week I'm sure.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I was talking with Tom Regan earlier this week and he indicated that they'll be using an Enzo to pull that contest, with an Avy there for display - maybe that'll be your Avy? Crystal Pierz(?) is the dealer that is providing the Enzo, I do believe.

Are you anywhere near the Brainerd area? That's where will be Saturday thru Monday and we're driving down on Tuesday.

The grey flamed board with the sharktooth trailer didn't work all that well for James. Nice concept, but didn't work in practice.

It'll be good to see you again, the family and I look forward to it.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Jeff, I live 12 miles north of Brainerd. Are you coming up to one of the Resorts?

Yep, my boat is through Crystal Pierz so it may be my boat on Display.

We actually took that sharktooth off the board.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Yeah we are staying at Maddens. What are you doing Sunday? I can bring gas money :-) We are fishing for Walleye on Monday.

Your boat has to be the one on display. Think we can talk the folks into using your boat for the contest? The Enzo without adequate ballast isn't all that great, even with the switchblade. Lake Washington is pretty shallow up close to the marina, but goes to 12+ about 150 yds offshore, should give enough depth for a decent wake. Tom is easy going and will allow a switch, I'm sure. Have you got influence with the Crystal Pierz folks?

Yeah, the angle of attack of the side bites on that grey flamed board was about 1.5 degrees different than what James normally rides - our hope was to get better drive with the trailer, just didn't work out.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
I'm open Saturday night and Sunday.

Are you Fishing with Walleyedan? He's the best guide in the area.

The guy from the Albert Lee Crystal Pierz (Jason) is using his Enzo, It should be good. The Centurion Rep will be down there too. We'll see what happens.

Should be a nice weekend up here, Its been warm so the lake is nice and warm. Hopefully the wind isn't to crazy sunday. I'd been nuts.
Old    surfdad            07-20-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Yeah, we have Walleye Dan picking us up at the Marina on Monday AM. :-) I'll catch one for you. :-) Save us Sunday please, I'll PM you with telephone numbers. If they have the Enzo sac'ed it'll be fine.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Walleydan is the Man. He'll bring you to some good fish.

I built his website for him. walleyedan.com

Sunday it is.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2006, 11:13 PM Reply   
hye nelly, do you have a bennet trim tab or the adjustable wakeplate? and if so how did you adjust it?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-08-2006, 3:09 AM Reply   
taco, I don't know what nelly is doing. I set my trim tab up for regular and down for goofy.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-08-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
k thanks
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Taco-Wakeplate all the way up!
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
nelly, do you have the hydralic one or the manual one because i have a question: my wakeplate keeps spitting out whitewash (i have the exact same boat except in green) and it is difficult to surf, if you do have the manual one HOW DO YOU ADJUST IT?
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
sorry about the double post i figured out how to change it but i know ed puts it up for regular and down for goofy but how about you nelly, what about the goofy side, still all the way up?