Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2015, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hi, I am planning a road trip to Southern Cali and am looking for some suggestions on what to see and do. I will have the kids with and want all to be family activities. So far on my list is Golden Gate Bridge, thinking about biking/walking across bridge, just checking stuff out there and checking out Alkatraz. Was wondering if the Winchester house was worth checking out. Also in LA we are looking to check out a couple beaches, wife wants to see Hollywood but looking for more stuff to do. Open to any/all suggestions. I would love some nice bike trails that are easy for kids to ride that would be under 10 miles max, I know there are quite a few around beach/boardwalk areas, any where else? Also thinking about seeing Sequoia NP, so really anything from SF to LA would be in the general area. How is the Hurst Castle, worth a look?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-24-2015, 10:01 PM Reply   
Definitely take Hwy 1 from Monterey down to San Luis Obispo. There are tons of spots to stop on the way and check the view, waterfalls, hiking, beaches, sea lions, creeks, eating, etc... Hurst Castle is also along that route. I havent been there in so long that I cant remember it, but I bet its pretty cool.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-24-2015, 11:04 PM Reply   
Fun stuff to do here...

SF pier 39, Ride Cable Car, Alcatraz, GG bridge walk, Lombard Street., Sausalito, Tiboron, Angel Island, Sonoma, Napa.

Fun places between here and LA...

Capitola, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Morro Bay, Hearst Castle,.

Do not waste your time with Winchester Mystery House.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-24-2015, 11:10 PM Reply   
Sequoia National Park is brilliant. Amazing trees older than Jesus.
Yosemite National Park is stellar but often crowded. Amazing valley.
Both are between SF and LA but a lot of driving.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-25-2015, 2:10 AM Reply   
When I hear about these trips I often see 1 city overlooked and quite possibly one of the nicest places to live in the US (Climate or otherwise)

Santa Barbara.

It is a great, low key, beach cruise friendly town that offers a natural resting place for you on your trip.

It is also a shopping woman's best friend.

Hearst castle is pretty cool. HUGE place. Pick one tour and you will be satisfied.

The 14 mile scenic drive is also recommended above Monterey Bay. The aquarium there is pretty cool too.

Hollywood, Universal Studios, Beach cruising Venice Beach are all options in LA.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-25-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
you posted up like a month's worth of sightseeing there. How much time do you really have?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-25-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Big basin park in Santa Cruz mountains
Eat at mamas for breakfast in sf and house of prime rib for dinner,must!!
I like haight st. More then any other of your sf stuff
Go to a warriors or giants game!! Warriors games are awesome! Giants stadium a must visit
Go to Tahoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are you from?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-25-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
Skip LA and go straight to San Diego. Lol
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-25-2015, 12:58 PM Reply   
Ditto. As a transplant currently living in LA area, skip it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
IMO skip Alcatraz.

Drive across the GG bridge and park on the other side. Check out the Marin headlands. There are some cool views and fun things to explore around both sides of the GG bridge. Old Army bases and bunkers.
If the weather is nice check out Baker Beach. It's got a awesome view of the Bridge from just outside the bay.

Santa Cruz beach Boardwalk is a great family activity.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-25-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
Monterey bay aquarium in Monterey. Obviously lol
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       02-25-2015, 3:24 PM Reply   
I'd skip golden gate before Alcatraz. I mean it's a bridge!!??
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-25-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
when traveling into and around LA, plan for at least twice as long, better yet plan for 4 times the commute and you may be pleasantly surprised when you get there.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-25-2015, 3:29 PM Reply   
Also hike into malibu canyon and you can check out the old location for the filming of MASH and quite a few other films and shows
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. I have 7 or 8 days between LA and SF. I am from Minnesota and will be driving out there and the plan is to have a 14 or 15 day trip total. I will have to look into a whole bunch of more stuff now. I wish I could spend some time in San Diego but I think that is stretching out a little farther that I want. Also I know Sequoia NP is not really on the way in between SF and LA but my daughter wants to go there, and I think it would be a nice place to check out. This trip is not made to be relaxing, I'm to young to relax, so I want to cram lots of stuff in without rushing everything.

Shredtastic- Where would be a good place to find sea lions? I know they just lay on the docks at harbors and marines.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-25-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
Im assuming you will be going to Pier 39 in SF? There is a sea lion colony there complete with their own floating platforms to nap on. If you take HWY 1 south there is also an elephant seal rookery in San Simeon. Type "elephant seal vista point" into google earth and you can see them laying on the beach.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2015, 6:06 PM Reply   
If Sequoia National Park is not on your way why not substitute Sequoia for Big Basin. Same type of scenery but on your way. And if you had the Winchester mystery House on your radar then check out the "Mistry spot" it's a kooky little tourist attraction
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-25-2015, 7:19 PM Reply   
Sequoia really is amazing. Too bad Yosemite is out of the way - it's incredible too. From Sequoia you can head down the coast to the golden gate ("just a bridge" sure but far more beautiful than Alcatraz which honestly isn't worth the time given your schedule) and SF. You're just an hour from the delta and the best riding in the country

Big Sur is gorgeous and on the way from SF to Monterey/San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara and then you're in LA. Take the kids to Disneyland (if they're vaccinated lol) and you're done! Having lived 20 years in both areas I think you're much better off spending the bulk of your time up north, especially if you're into natural beauty.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2015, 7:49 PM Reply   
Grant's trying to say Mystery Spot...

Sequoia is awesome. Skip Kings Canyon. head up 198 off the 99 to the Giant Forest. Climb Moro Rock...it may scare some folks but its railed the whole way. none of you will ever forget what you see.

Winchester Mystery House is strange but not too exciting.

If you get near Sacramento a fantastic bike trail is the American River Parkway.

If you are heading south on 99 at Atwater you can visit Castle Air Museum.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-25-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
Sequoia National Park is amazing...

With a height of 83.8 meters (275 ft), a diameter of 7.7 m (25 ft), an estimated bole volume of 1,487 m3 (52,513 cu ft), and an estimated age of 2,300–2,700 years
Attached Images

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2015, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. I have been hitting Google for all these really great places to check out. I may have to forget about some other stuff to spend another day or two in Cali. I did live in Vegas for a year but only made it up to Sac for 2 days and LA area for a couple. Got to ride on the Dirty Delta twice and met some good people. I did hit up Lake Mead about once a week when I lived in Vegas and that was really awesome, some really good memories on Mead.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
That pic is AWESOME. I must go.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-28-2015, 11:39 PM Reply   
My family just did an Alcatraz tour last Sunday and it was awesome. The panoramic views of SF are pretty amazing from the island. Many photo ops with amazing backdrops. For the tour, you just put on headphones and follow the prompts. It's narrated by ex-guards and ex-prisoners. You feel like you're listening to a Discovery Channel documentary. Very professionally done and it held my ADHD attention the whole time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-01-2015, 5:09 PM Reply   
in the snow
Attached Images

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-05-2015, 7:28 PM Reply   
Around the Golden gate try Fort point, Bakers beach,Fort baker, Rodeo beach , Hawk hill, Battery Spencer and Kirby cove. If you want a cool experience on the golden gate be there for sunrise or sunset.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-06-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
Actually drive across the bay bridge at sunset Get a pic of the city and golden gate in the back ground from treasure island
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
x
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
Ive heard great things about santa cruz but never been myself. ITs on my list.

I would definitely second santa barbara, i enjoyed the short time i spent there.

Also, i agree with skipping LA area, its dirty its busy and i dont like Living here. I also think disney land is overrated but if you have little kids i get it. If you do insist, id stay in orange county, seal beach, huntington beach, and laguna beach are decent but id honestly suggest just driving another 1.5 hrs and hitting san diego. Check out Scripts aquarium while you are there, coronado island, and the gaslamp district
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-06-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
Santa Cruz is my 2nd favorite place on earth second to only tahoe. Rent bikes and stroll around pleasure point hit the crows nest for calamari. Can't beat it!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Carmel!
Cold Spring Tavern at Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara Pier.
Yosemite (just awesome!)
Attached Images

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
Wow, some great shots from all. I am still ironing out the finer details but I think I will be taking everyone advice and skip LA area. Maybe Hollywood for a 1/2 day, that's what the wife wants to check out. I still have to look into Santa Cruz and Santa Barbra a little more.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-07-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
For all of the reasons that I could list to skip LA, the tourist nightmare that is Hollywood would be number 1. I get having to make the wife happy, but I would really try to win this one.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
I'm not sure if you have the time but there are some great spots just north of the Golden gate. Rodeo beach in the marin headlands. There are lots of old military bunkers that are great for the kids to explore. Mt. Tam has great views of the bay area. Muir woods, Stinson beach and the Point Reyes area are awesome too. The Sonoma coast is a great place to visit too. You could string all of those places into a day trip.

It's a bummer that they just turned off the LED lights on the bay bridge.
Attached Images

Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-08-2015, 1:46 AM Reply   
One person mentioned Yosemite. It's like no other place on earth. Bike the valley...the family would love it. The Pez museum in Burlingame is kinda fun once. Half Moon Bay and Pillar Point is kinda cool and good for lunch. And the Monterey " 17 Mile Drive" is a must.