Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
Are they any good?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-05-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I hope to get my hands on a pair soon to find out. IMO, for the price, I think they will be a great way to go.....better then a typical cone driver, but less cost then Pro Audio HLCD driver.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-05-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
I wouldn't mind knowing how these sound also. From the specs that I have seen, they only have the two 6.5" speakers and a tweeter, it only looks like there is a HLCD from the way the enclosure is designed. I am not sure how big the tweeter is and if it produces the same range of sounds and dispersion as a compression driver.

(Message edited by srh00z on March 05, 2008)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
It says it's a 1" but I can't figure out where the hell it is. I thought they look interesting too but unlike most here I'm not much off a kicker fan. Don't really know why
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
From the site:
KICKER engineers went straight to the ears and mind of the water-sports enthusiast at the end of the tow rope with its latest development – the KMT6 Long-Range Tower System. The KMT6 System will be available for shipping in spring 2007.

It’s a full-range, high-quality two-way speaker system specifically designed for cruising in or being pulled behind a boat. Dual 6.5-inch midrange drivers flanking a unique exponential-horn-loaded, titanium-dome tweeter intensify and carry the music from your aquatic cruiser. It’s all integrated into a pair of stylish, injection-molded ABS enclosures pleasing to the eyes and ears.

All the elements are in place to make this marine sound system splash-resistant. The mids utilize a sealed cone and motor assembly, while the tweeter itself is protected by dense, open-celled foam. Everything is UV-treated as well for improved resistance against the marine environment.Worried about mounting issues? KICKER has that covered, too.

The KMT6 System’s billet-aluminum mounting brackets adjust to seven common sizes, matching most every wake tower or roll-bar diameter. Each enclosure is also designed with a five-way, binding post hook-up on the back for added stability. This system provides stainless-steel mounting hardware tough enough to take what Mother Nature throws at it.

TM, be sure and post up how they sound. Ya gotta love the price if the performance is there.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-05-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
I've never been much of a Kicker fan either. These have caught my eye for the price. I did a google search and found them for as little as 166 dollars (didn't check on shipping). I want to know how the stand up against other 6.5 can setups.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Yeah but they don't have 'em in stock. Ebay BIN $239 + $27 shipping.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
they look really cheap, i wouldnt put them on my boat
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
I put them on my 08 Supra on Wednesday. They powered off two channels of a Kicker 350.4 amp. Waterskied at 15' off @34mph on Thursday and could hear them perfectly. As far as the appearance, that was my initial holdup, but on a black boat with the Z5 cargo top, they blend in great. They are solidly constructed and they won't pitt or fade like my buddies polished cans.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-08-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
How far back is 15 off from the boat?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-09-2008, 12:35 AM Reply   
15off = 75' - 15' = 60' from the boat

I find skiing at 15 off @ 34mph requires more stereo power than boarding at 75' at 23mph due to the speed requirement.

It also depends on how loud the boat motor is, a large task of the tower speaker duty is "talking over" the exhaust note.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-09-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I also bought a pair last month and they finally arrived last week (takes a long time to ship to Canada). I coulnd't test them on my boat as its in storage but hooked them up inside and they were loud for the power I was putting into them, and they were also pretty directional. They were a steal @ $167 US + $50 shipping ($25-30 for US res)

Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
These are going to be a good alternative for someone who doens't want to spend >$1000 for a pair of pro audio speakers.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
^ I agree 100%, I think it fills the gap between a pro audio HLCD type speaker and a traditional cone type, and at a good price.