Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-05-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Hello,

I'm looking to get my first boat, and i was hoping to get some expert opinions from you on this.

I have narrowed my choices to these (all brand-new):

Malibu vRide
Moomba Outback V
Crownline 19' --with waketower

Malibu vRide
I like:
under-transom lighting
neat looking illusion tower
1 gig stereo

I don't like:
the looks of the vRide graphics.
the price

The Outback V:
I like:
It seems very similar to the vRide, but cheaper
I think will be thousands less than the vRide
I like the color schemes better than the vRide

Don't like:
The tower isn't as cool.
No underwater lighting option (not that big of deal)

The Crownline 19:
I like:
The price (completely decked out for about $35k)
The colors/graphics
5 year full warranty (i haven't seem a comparable warranty on any wakeboarding boat)

I don't like:
I/O motor (no wake surfing)
No ballast available.
Maynot be great wake for wakeboarding.

About me:

I'm 27. Just got into wakeboarding a little last year, also like to ski. Would love to try wakesurfing.

Oh, and I live on a private lake with the following restrictions:

max boat weight: 3100lbs
max length: 21ft (swim platforms not included)
max engine: 360 cubic inches

no wake-increasing tools can be deployed.
(can have ballast but not allowed to use. i suspect wedges are allowed but can't be deployed.)

Couple Questions:
Is is necessary to have ballast/wedge to wakesurf behind these boats? What if they are tough on enforcing those rules, and i don't get to use either of those, can i forget about surfing??

Has anyone actually seen the underwater lighting on the Malibus? I can't find a real pic (non-corporate) of it on a boat anywhere.

How long does it take to fill/unload ballast on these boats? If water patrol was coming to check would i have time to dump them w/o getting busted?

How long does the power wedge take to deploy/undeploy? Would i have time to pull that up w/o getting busted??

If anyone has some advice on what might be the best option i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on January 05, 2008)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Yes, you'd have time to put the power wedge back up. Also, do the cops really bust people on the lake for ballast? My lake has a no ballast rule too but i don't think twice about it. No one does (the POA are all OLD and so are the lake patrol)

All I can say is surfing is a blast, ditch the Crownline idea. If you have a private lake with those restrictions, you don't need features of an i/o anyway.

You can't go wrong with either, but i would never base the decision.. even remotely... on underwater lighting. I do agree with you on the new vRide graphics, but if you strip the stickers, it looks better. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

congrats*

*unless you buy the i/o :-)
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-05-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Haha, yeah the lighting is probably stupid to even consider...

I don't know how strict they will be. I have a fishing boat in my slip now, that I used last year for fishing only. Obviously didn't have any run-ins with the Water Patrol.

Does the ballast water shoot out the sides when it's pumping out? Or does it port out underwater somehow??

Either way, it is private, so it's only "points" against me (we start with 30 pts every summer).

Some of the old folks are really bringing up the ballast, i guess a big roller bounced someones boat off a shorestation last summer. They are supposed to be having a special meeting about it...word is they might be trying to ban waterboarding boats.

That's one reason i'm drawn to the moomba and the malibu. If i buy one at the boat show next week, i would already own it and get grandfathered in....
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-05-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
One more question:

Is anyone out here familar with the vRide and/or Outback V towers?

Are these towers something i can take down or fold down easily, after pulling in my slip, and before putting my boat lift up???
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
they will shoot out the side. I think only Calabria and Nautique have under the water line fill/drain systems but i could be wrong on that.

I'd say don't even bother dumping the ballast if the cops show, most wouldn't know where the ballast gauges are anyway. Both towers should fold down pretty easily so you can put your boat under the lift without issue.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-05-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
You won't get a decent surf wake without ballast. If you are severely limited on ballast make sure you buy a big wakesurfer like an Inland Surfer Red Tide.

The V-ride can be a good surf boat. I've never surfed behind a Moomba. Some Skier's Choice boats are good surfers some are not.

Towers are towers - no big deal to me.

You can put transom lights in any boat.

If you can't use ballast you might look at a Tige'.

Most towers fold.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
best tower for storing is the illusion by far. Pull two pins and it folds down inside the windshield easily. Some people don't like the look though.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
go with an inboard regardless.
as far as ballast, i am curious about these private lakes that have a no ballast rule.... Take 5-6 of your friends with you and you have the same as ballast in the boat.. (they can't tell you how many people in the boat can they?)
You can fold down the outback v tower with a couple of bolts.. You could get the Outback V with no tower and add a Monster tower that folds easier if you need to fold often.
You'll be able to get an outback v for around 35K too.. despite lake rules, get at least Gravity I ballast in case you ride somewhere else or sell the boat.. better resale with ballast.. get wakeplate..
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-06-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Forget about the lighting. Can add that on any boat. Ballast usually sprays out the side, and Yes, you will need it for surfing, unless you take 6-8 friends. As far as wakeboarding, you can do fine at your level w/o ballast, but will want it someday, and if you go to another lake.

Ditch the idea of the I/O. No reason for that in this equation. Not a bad boat, but not a wakeboard or wakesurf boat.

Towers: You have an option as far as towers, at least with most companies. Malibu puts the Illusion on their boats at standard, but you can get something different. Just ask your dealer. I hated the Illusion, and found out I had a choice of the Titan III, or the Skylon. Went with the Skylon, and could not be happier. (See profile pic).

Best of luck! Both the Malibu and Moomba are great boats.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-06-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
This is the one situation where I think the Tige's are about the best fit ever. No ballast at all & they have a descent wake. Add some friends & it just gets better. If you ever ski behind it, just trim it up a bit.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-06-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Ed S. good idea on the Tige. The 20V and Z1 would be great, but Tiges are all too heavy
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-06-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
Check out the Sanger V210 if you have a dealer around. Great price and an excellent boat that throws a nice wake for wakeboarding and surfing.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-07-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
WOW.... Bill sound like you should have bought a Tige'?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-07-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
Bill. Yes i love the looks and features of the Z1 by Tige. I looked at these several months ago, and i was sad when i saw how heavy they are. We have a 3100lb limit.

I am going to skip the wedge/wake plate. They are outright banned, I also am not a fan of putting that much stress on the transom...plus i have a buddy at Table Rock that says his Malibu burns through gas like-no-tomorrow when he uses the wedge.

I am going to get the max ballast i can in either the Outback V or the VRide though. So when i do go to Table Rock, Beaver, or Grand Lake i can use those. I agree with you on resale.

I think the Sangers look like nice boats, but i can't seem to find a dealer near me. The site doesn't have "Find a Dealer" like the other big boat companies.

I am thinking about taking a cruise to the Moomba dealer tomorrow, to look at an Outback V they have in the showroom. Left over 2007. With 20something hours. Although i know how people drive cars that aren't their's so i'm a little nervous that a demo boat might not have been broken in properly. You think I'm being silly? Does that not matter as much as i think?

Well the boat show is in town later this week....we'll see what happens...

if i can get a deal on a vRide i think that's my boat of choice. I'd like to stay right about 40k though, with max ballast, a really nice stereo, fiberglass platform, bow cushion, bolster seat, depth finder, transom stereo remote.

So we'll see. I'm wondering if i order a brandnew '08 vRide if they will cut me some slack on the pricing.

If not, i think i can get a pretty decked out Outback V with everything for 40k

thanks for all your help with this, my first boat purchase.....
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-08-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
I had a Malibu briefly with a wedge, but for some of you Bu owners....Can you take the wedge on and off easily? I'd say getting a new vRide without the wedge is a mistake personally. And as far as gas goes.... when you load any boat down, it will eat more gas.

I'd go with the demo, 20 hours, full warranty because it will be titled as new and the huge price break.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
ti, i assume you are looking at the dealer there in kc for moomba. extreme marine.

they are a good dealership. i bought my old 05 supra ssv from them and excellent results.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-08-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
I would say you would have to get a great deal to get a malibu with the options you listed for 40k. It will be more like 45k I would think.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-08-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
insuranceman, i was just in Skitook for new years eve. my buddy chad lives there, by the walmart. (on the same road as the Tastie-freeze). haha-the only one probably. We went to the walmart on NYE to get some limes for our patron, and there was a sheep tied on a leash in the bed of someones pickup. only in OK!

maybe i'll see you around the lake sometime!

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on January 08, 2008)

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on January 08, 2008)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-08-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
the outback and the crownline arent even close to being in the same class as the malibu. there should be no question about it.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-10-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
tower on the malibu folds very easy. 2 pull pins, no tools, light to fold. for what it is worth, i bought a 2007 vride last year and hated the graphics as well. the dealer had no problem having it built with no decals and we added an older wakesetter graphic that fit the boat perfectly. prices may be a little higher, but remember the value holds well on a malibu. here is a pic showing the graphics. may be a 'fake'setter, but hey, i love her.

Upload
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
It seems that the bottom line is... total price and value...

Well if you want the best of both worlds... look at...

Supreme V208 - $30's
Sanger V210 - $30's
Newer used Mastercraft 205V
Newer used Wakesetter

It doesnt make sense to me when someone is looking for their best bang for their buck.. why they wouldnt let someone else pay for the first 1-2 years of depreciation... then take it off of their hands.

But thats just me.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
In regards to those that live on lakes with ballast restrictions... does that mean if you forget your boat plug it is a double whammy? your boat sinks.. and you get a fine for too much ballast?

Does that also mean that all of my fat friends cant come out on the boat with me?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
if i rode somewhere with ballast restrictions every person i knew would be a 3-400 pounder, maybe 5-600 if i could find em. cops catn tell me i cant have people in the boat
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-10-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
I would look for a 2004 or older malibu vlx, will have the same hull as the V-ride plus you should be able to find a pretty good deal on one this time of year. Sanger would be my next choice.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Let me save you the time of owning an I/O and wishing you bought an inboard. I owned I/O's for 20 years before I realized it wasn't the best boat for what we liked to do. I agree with the V-210 suggestions , but any inboard is going to suit you better than a sterndrive.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
tj, I have to agree with Chris above. I just bought my first boat last year, and like you I just got into wake boarding. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat, but i have to say I have a bit of regret not going with a 1-2 year used wake boat instead. My wake is plenty for me right now, but I could easily see out-growing it in another year or two.

You're different than me in that you already know you like wakeboarding and surfing. I was introduced to it after the fact. I probably would have made a different decision if I knew then what I know now.