Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hoookwake)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Are these boats good for any kind of wakesurfing at all? I just ran into some in a store and had my doubts about them, any word on them for any kind of water sport other than going fast?
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
Rick- Avoid 'em. If tubing and shallow water is your objective- yippee, get a Yamaha or Sea Doo. They're almost as bad as jet skis. Why are you looking at jet boats anyways?
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Curtis, did you see this thread?

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/358149.html?1156637020

Pretty impressive what he's done w/the wakesurf IMO. Can't speak for them from experience, and I don't know anything about the wake they put out for boarding, but the sufing doesn't look too bad, besides a washy lip.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
never said I'm always right. i'll check out that thread once I get off this cell phone and on a computer.
Old     (dubyas_dad)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
Rick,
That's my Yamaha jet-boat shown in the link above. While it's certainly not the greatest wakesurfing boat, you can surf behind it pretty easily once you have the ballast figured out.

I can't speak for Sea Doo jet-boats.

The Yamaha is a great "all around" boat.

Regards,
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nicer than expected. But why jet? I like the size of the Yamahas, and only know of those tiny little Sea Doo's that are oversized jetskis.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Has anyone weighted down a jet fishing boat? The stern on some of 'em look great to sink down.
Old     (dubyas_dad)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
Curtis,
I'll do my best at your question of "Why Jets"?

1) No propellor to chop up your friends and loved ones.
2) Dual jets means differential thrusters. This means I can manuever the boat much better at close quarters than a single thrust boat.
3) Very fast to reach plane
4) Will turn sharper at speed than any other boat I have ridden in.
5) Less maintenance: i.e. no transmission, no sterndrive, extrememly simple winterization (just turn on the engine and "goose" the throttles when out of the water)
6) two engines instead of one.
7) Shallow draft
8) No propellor is worth mentioning again...

A few downsides:
Not as efficient through turns as propellors.
No perfect pass available
A bit more difficult to learn to drive
Maybe a few more, but I can't think of them now.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Mark

Actually Sea Doo has made perfect pass a standard item in their "wake" boats.

Quote:
The new Sea-Doo Speedster WAKET sport boat replaces the Challenger* X for 2006. It is offered in a 430 HP or 310 HP engine package and is specifically designed for wakeboarding. The new Sea-Doo Speedster WAKE sport boat is competitively priced and very well equipped to compete in the boating industry's fastest growing segment. Premium equipment is standard on the 2006 WAKE including; remote controlled 600 lbs. (272 kg) ballast system, PerfectPass? pro speed control, wakeboard tower with speakers, and PA system.

http://www.seadoo.com/en-US/SportBoats/2006/Speedster.Wake/Features.htm
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Mark- thanks for the list. The prop issue is only when we're comparing i/o. Not sure if any of your benefits are my concerns. Just checked out the Sea Doo. How much? Price on the Yamaha? The boat looks like it would be great fun in huge swell.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Just checked out one price for the sea-doo, 40k+! You could get a sick tourny boat for that cost.
Old    jeff25            08-31-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey guys, we don't know much about wakesurfing here but we ocean surf and also do a little wakesuring behind our 15' sea doo sportster. Never had a real wakesurfing boat to compare, but put enough people in it and our sea doo plows a wake like a little tug boat. Plus it only costs $20k and goes 62mph (indicated anyway). We were wondering if smaller might actually be better because you can get the thing real low in the water with a lot less weight and seems like wake size comes mainly from how much water you can plow out of the way rather than boat length. Anyway, here's a pic from last weekend, found this board floating in the water and of course we had to surf it!
Is this wake boarding or wake surfing?
Old     (hoookwake)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-31-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Perhaps there is a future with Jet Boats with regards to wakesurfing, seems they need to do some tweaking mind you before they could do what say a "Centurion" for example can do.
Old     (hoookwake)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-31-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Dang here is a JET BOAT that could through some wake if tuned right. Upload
Upload
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Jeff- that's rad, you can even see the fumes heading right into his face!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-10-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Perfectpass is avaliable on Sea Doo. Winterizing take more than blowing them out. I have a few in the shop because of that. and I dont know about the handleing part. Ill take a vdrive any day.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
I have a Yamaha Jet Boat for sale with ballast if anyone is looking for one... Email me if interested.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-12-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tried it on a sea-doo boat once.
A floaty board is definately a help.

As for the previous list of pro's for a jet boat....(even though they are a fun boat to ride in...)I don't think any of them are a "pro" for wakesurfing....

and if you insist on the prop safety issue thing...I'd say that a fixed revolving prop holds a more consistant predictable wave, which forms directly from the rear of any boat. Especially while turning.
Yes weight & hull shape are factors, but so is the power source capability of manipulating the hull/weight.