Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    mikep            05-03-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has installed an alarm system in their boat. I just bought the following system with proximity motion sensing:

http://www.asianwolf.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1068694|1218565&PRID=1439801

If my boat is on the water, will the proximity sensor go off from the boat moving? I'm thinking it will not because the sensor is moving at the same time the boat is moving.

Has anyone has any experience with proximity sensors or alarms in boats?
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-03-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
Check with Cliff. I know he has an alarm on his boat. Not sure if it's the same one you are talking about though.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-03-2005, 10:10 PM Reply   
Porter---I installed a mobil works alarm system in our boat. No proximity sensor, but it does have a shock sensor and leveling sensor for when its sitting unhooked by itself. Shock sensor self explanitory,level sensor works so if the trailer is lowered more than a certain predetermined amount, the siren will go off. Thankfully we have not had to experience it going off in the middle of the night and hopfully never will.
I also was thinking about having LOJACK installed . That might be even better then the whole alarm thing. Will decide later on that though.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
I just had a conversation with my stereo installer about this last week. They sell a viper alarm for $299 that is then retrofitted for an addittional $50 with an infrared sensor. The sensor will only be triggered if someone enters your boat and will not be affected by the boat moving.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I've got the Viper with a proximity sensor located under the tower. I dialed the sensitivity level down so it will only go off if someone tries to reach over to the tower. I've never had an issue's with the shock sensor while in the water. You'd be amazed how many times it's gone off in the parking lot of grocery stores. People think it's ok to step up and look into the boat while it's sitting there. It's nice to see them freak when the alarm goes off.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-05-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
Just installed mine last week. Shock and proximity sensor. Make sure your proximity sensor does not extend beyond the hull. If so and you arm it while at a dock and boat moves but the dock doesn't it will keep going off. Just things to think about.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-05-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
Porter, keep us posted how that alarm with the Proximity sensor works out. I have been thinking about that for a long time and your system sounds like a good deal if it works out. looking forward to hearing about the results.